CS Honours + Part time work?

VindictiveRabbit

Hi all,

I have just been accepted for doing honours in Computer Science at UCT next year, but have already started working this year. I can carry on working throughout next year, and have been really enjoying my job.

My question, is it a good idea to study and work part time? I do not want to overwork and burn out. Would 4 hours studying + 4 hours working be possible?

Thanks!

cguy

Executive Member
Hi all,

I have just been accepted for doing honours in Computer Science at UCT next year, but have already started working this year. I can carry on working throughout next year, and have been really enjoying my job.

My question, is it a good idea to study and work part time? I do not want to overwork and burn out. Would 4 hours studying + 4 hours working be possible?

Thanks!
I would recommend against it. The time requirements are probably too high (or a at least they were). I worked while I studied after honours, but then I didn’t have coursework.

RonSwanson

Expert Member
I know someone who recently did CS Honors as well as part-time lecturing, for which she received a small fee from the varsity. She also helps older people in the community with their PC and networking problems pro bono, and sometimes gets paid even though she tries not to accept, many are insistent. She even wrote a tough security certification exam (and passed) during the holidays.

When you are young and have lots of go, don't be afraid to take on new challenges, as long as it is manageable. Anything is possible if you want it badly enough.

XFlorenceX

If you are only working part-time I don't see why you can't do both. Provided you will put in extra work on weekends and accept less time for yourself and friends. But I really don't see why it's not possible if you are committed and prepared. Best of luck

krycor

Honorary Master
As far as I am aware UCT doesn't allow it without prior consent and even then it's not recommended as the hour/week commitment is structured based on full time availability.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
If they offer studying part time and then you work full time that should work as that's what I did but obviously over a longer period of time rather than just the one year. The other way around though can be a bit taxing.