Currie Cup too white - ABSA

I dont know...

An ex-ANC Minister of Sport...

Stofile said black children, mostly poor, needed proper nutrition and facilities to help them develop the bone structure and muscle tone required for sports participation from an early age.
 
Last edited:
I don't consider giving white players a chance racist. Where did I say that?

Where is the black players we see during the craven week, U19,U21 World Cups? Are blacks just genetically predisposition-ed to suck at rugby past 20 years of age?

Rugby is all about winning. If the black player is good enough he will be playing. Black players seems to have a problem to adapt to professional rugby and the challenges it places on a player.
 
What you suggested sounds like a structure that facilitates more players coming through the system. My question is how are the end objectives measured?

What I'm trying to get at is that quotas are necessary IMO. How else do you judge if what the structures you have put in place, i.e. Sharks Academy, are contributing to the desired end objectives. The reason IMO why there will always be strife in historically white sports regarding transformation, is that stakeholders involved cant even decide on their objectives in the first place!!

Quotas are only neccesary if your end desire is a racial demographic, otherwise they go directly against merit.
 
How else do you judge if what the structures you have put in place, i.e. Sharks Academy, are contributing to the desired end objectives.

That depends on what your objectives are.

Yes if your objectives are to ensure racial representation. No if your goal is to have the best possible team regardless of race based solely upon merit.

I know which objectives I would like to see... merit. If you are prepared to see a group not be the best it can be as long as it is racially representative then great for you. I prefer my sports teams less racially motivated and more winning and being the best you can be regardless of race motivated.
 
Rugby is all about winning. If the black player is good enough he will be playing. Black players seems to have a problem to adapt to professional rugby and the challenges it places on a player.

Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

Why would he want to?
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

So in other words white dominance in rugby is a cultural thing? FIFO? The same can be said of any sport.

Black kids get all the opportunities. Where are all our black golf stars? We have 5 players in the top 50 in the world and not one is black. Maybe you should petition the PGA for some quotas.
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

On your first point, who knows...? Why has there never been a white man to run under 10 seconds in the world 100M events.....? Is that also racist...? :rolleyes: Certain groups just excel at certain sports. At the moment in SA rugby is bigger in the so-called "white" realms and more kids are maybe exposed to it so there are more that excel at the sport. I more black kid were maybe developed at grassroot level and supported through school then we would maybe have more players of colour in the provincial teams.

As for your second point, so what....? So the majority of blue bull supporters are afrikaans (or it appears that way)...so what...? If a person really wants to support the team then they will bring their own flavour to the atmosphere as well as enjoy what is currently offered from those particular supporters. If you don't like it go find another team to support. Not that difficult, now is it...?
 
So in other words white dominance in rugby is a cultural thing? FIFO? The same can be said of any sport.
Black kids get all the opportunities. Where are all our black golf stars? We have 5 players in the top 50 in the world and not one is black. Maybe you should petition the PGA for some quotas.

Exactly! It has become a cultural sport, so why would your average black kid who loves soccer want to be involved in rugby, where the artists who sing the celebratory songs are afrikaners and the supporters of the blue bulls love the bulls as rugby mascots, and don't kill them to celebrate important occasions. They also don't count cows when they seek to marry the lady of their dreams. The cultures are different and the interests and ambitions are different. Look at american basketball, it is mostly black, so is track athletics. Blacks are good at that stuff. I wouldn't want to play a sport that I know I will be mediocre at, especially if I know my people don't really enjoy or follow the sport, and that I don't like at all.

Face it!! Thats why we don't have many blacks coming into the sport, they are just not interested. Thats not the fault of selectors or clubs. It's a cultural thing... If you want transformation in rugby then start at school level by getting them to like and take an interest in the sport first.
 
Last edited:
So in other words white dominance in rugby is a cultural thing? FIFO? The same can be said of any sport.

Black kids get all the opportunities. Where are all our black golf stars? We have 5 players in the top 50 in the world and not one is black. Maybe you should petition the PGA for some quotas.

It's more difficult to have quotas where the performance of the players is a quantifiable number :)
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

So you want to remove the Afrikaner culture from Loftus to replace it with a Soccer Culture? Why not just take the kid to a soccer game?
 
I loved the part where everyone completely missed the point I was trying to make.

I'm too tired to explain now, had a hard gym session (back day).

Stay tuned for tomorrow. :D
 
I loved the part where everyone completely missed the point I was trying to make.

I'm too tired to explain now, had a hard gym session (back day).

Stay tuned for tomorrow. :D

Off to slay some chicks, CHARNA?
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

It is yet another human rights violation to prevent someone from practicing their culture... If Zuma is allowed to have Polygamy then we are allowed to practice Kurt daren, Bokjolle, Rugby and serries :)
 
I loved the part where everyone completely missed the point I was trying to make.

I'm too tired to explain now, had a hard gym session (back day).

Stay tuned for tomorrow. :D

I love the part how you have no answers to the question posed to you so you make up some lame ass excuse :rolleyes:
Nothing new here then.
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

What are you talking about?

I go to Loftus 3 - 4 times a season, I don't speak a word of Afrikaans, and I can barley hum Liefling.

I recently took a whole bunch of kids to a game at Loftus, I think 3 - 4 of them were black, and all in bulls shirts and flags and whatnot, they fitted in just fine, the only prick was one white kid as he was a shark supporter, but the rest of us all avid bull fans and not a single Afrikaans speaker amongst us.
 
Why is it that only black players have this problem not whites?

Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

It is the same with soccer though. Mostly the chanting and whatnot is very black South African centric. I don't fit in at the stadium so instead if I'm going to watch soccer (depends on who is playing) then I will watch it on TV or go to a bar and watch it rather than going to the stadium. The culture surrounding the teams is mainly black South African culture but honestly I think it gives our soccer a unique flavour. It is totally beyond me why you can't have the same attitude towards our rugby as I have towards our soccer.

Get out of your race-centric mindset man. Stop seeing us as black, white, Indian, Chinese, Japanese etc. and start seeing us all as what we are. South Africans.
 
Here's why...I look at the Bulls, yes i've never been to Loftus, but from the outside the whole Bulls culture is Afrikaner culture. From Kurt Darren and Steve Hofmeyer to Liefling from Coaches to the CEO at the top. How would a black kid fit into such an environment?

That is 100% pure racism plain and simple. If you can't handle other cultures then move to a country that practices genocide.
 
Why can't society just be proud of those of colour that come through triumphantly ... like Chester & Habana... etc
We know there will be more.. but don't fock up the teams by forcing transformation

I certainly haven't been banking with Absa since its Barclays takeover ;)
I don't support any company willingly.. from another country.. and believe we all need to keep our money in the country
 
Your opinions?



How to make enemies. LOL! /methinks absa`s client base is mostly White.. I will leave them as soon as its convenient for me.

I call that BS, people should leave politics out of sports. Transformation is not an overnight thing, if ABSA wants more blacks, then they must make sure that SABC is able to broadcast Rugby matches to the blacks to aid in interest in the sport. I've yet to meet a single black guy that plays Rugby, at a school or National level(and I'm black) which shows that interest in the sport is quite lacking.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X