Damning Zuma WikiLeaks cable revealed

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.ewn.co.za/Story.aspx?Id=73582

A WikiLeaks cable has revealed that a United States (US) legal adviser to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) believed the evidence against President Jacob Zuma after Schabir Shaik's conviction was sufficient enough to find Zuma guilty.
The confidential cable was sent by the US ambassador to South Africa during 2006.
At the time, Zuma was deputy president of the ANC and had already been forced to step down as deputy president of South Africa.
Charges against Zuma were dropped in 2009.
The unidentified US legal advisor was on loan to the local Department of Justice, giving expert advice on racketeering laws and the case against Zuma.
According to the cable, the advisor believed the NPA had enough evidence from Shaik's trial to find Zuma guilty.
Other evidence seized during raids on Zuma's home, his lawyers offices and on arms supplier Thint's premises, were described as “icing on the cake” or the “third tier evidence”.
The legal adviser also said that he would “bet his last nickel” that Zuma and Thint would be charged with racketeering.
He suggested the racketeering charge would provide an opportunity for Thint to strike a deal with the prosecution to give testimony against Zuma.
Isn't it great knowing that we have a criminal running the country? :D
No wonder he is so soft on corruption, it's one of his favourite hobbies.

Sly21C

Expert Member
What would you guys have preferred, that Mbeki be president? Let's be realistic here and not dwell on what we want and fantasies. There were two options, it was either Zuma was taken to court and found guilty and then have Mbeki be ANC president in which case he would have installed someone like Phumzile Mlambo as SA president, Mbeki could have even installed himself as SA president in which case he would be a dictator. Option number 2 is what happened, i.e. Zuma's charges be dropped and Mbeki oust as ANC president and therefore SA president through democratic means. Fantasy is that DA be voted to run the country, that's fantasy. Maybe the DA will rule SA in 15 years time or so but not anytime soon.

Mila

Honorary Master
What wAs wrong with Mbeki(serious question)

Albereth

Honorary Master
What wAs wrong with Mbeki(serious question)
Besides killing off those with AIDS and being bum-chums with Ugly Bob? Not much.

Still a better choice than the one we've got - but not the best SA could offer by a long shot.

TelkomUseless

Executive Member
What would you guys have preferred, that Mbeki be president? Let's be realistic here and not dwell on what we want and fantasies. There were two options, it was either Zuma was taken to court and found guilty and then have Mbeki be ANC president in which case he would have installed someone like Phumzile Mlambo as SA president, Mbeki could have even installed himself as SA president in which case he would be a dictator. Option number 2 is what happened, i.e. Zuma's charges be dropped and Mbeki oust as ANC president and therefore SA president through democratic means. Fantasy is that DA be voted to run the country, that's fantasy. Maybe the DA will rule SA in 15 years time or so but not anytime soon.
And now we sit in worst off scenario with a std 8 (?) president who is killing media freedom, promotes rasim (Julius) etc?

I think Zuma knew he was screwed, so he got Juju to support his "bail on jail" by becoming president , promosing JuJu big tender $$ etc. That is why JZ doesn't do anything to JuJu...

But it's all MHO!

Mila

Honorary Master
Besides killing off those with AIDS and being bum-chums with Ugly Bob? Not much.
So not worse than take a shower to prevent aids zuma. Who in the and is not bum chums with bob,kadoefie and several other African dictators.

FrancTheTank

Expert Member
So not worse than take a shower to prevent aids zuma. Who in the and is not bum chums with bob,kadoefie and several other African dictators.
Lol at the spelling of Kadoefie, makes me think of a doekie-head :)

Nick333

Honorary Master
The lesser of two evils is still evil.

@OP: Was there really any doubt?

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
Did Zuma not say he would open a can of worms (maybe not those exact words), by naming names involved with the Arms deal or something if he was found guilty? That tells me he knows something and has obtstructed justice by not revealing those names. You only going to name people who were involved in criminal deeds of whatever nature and not do-gooders.

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Plenty better options in the ANC.
Motlantle for one...

R13...

Honorary Master
Did Zuma not say he would open a can of worms (maybe not those exact words), by naming names involved with the Arms deal or something if he was found guilty? That tells me he knows something and has obtstructed justice by not revealing those names. You only going to name people who were involved in criminal deeds of whatever nature and not do-gooders.

We are damned if we do and damned if we don't.
He did promise to sing like a canary:). However, that was only a threat he'd likely only carry out if things weren't going his. You know, like if he was sinking with nothing left to lose? But the prospect of getting the charges dropped on a technicality thereby clearing his path to the presidency was much more enticing that cans of stinking worms.

The OP brings nothing new to the table though. We know the Shaik conviction was meant to embarrass and send Zuma into the political wilderness therefore allowing Mbeki to choose his own successor & remain ANC president in the bargain. That miscalculation backfired badly and the rest as they say is history...

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
He did promise to sing like a canary:). However, that was only a threat he'd likely only carry out if things weren't going his. You know, like if he was sinking with nothing left to lose? But the prospect of getting the charges dropped on a technicality thereby clearing his path to the presidency was much more enticing that cans of stinking worms.

The OP brings nothing new to the table though. We know the Shaik conviction was meant to embarrass and send Zuma into the political wilderness therefore allowing Mbeki to choose his own successor & remain ANC president in the bargain. That miscalculation backfired badly and the rest as they say is history...
That's my point. You not gonna sing like a canary and mention people who have done nothing wrong, you gonna mention people who HAVE done something wrong. Someone should have pushed him on that point. who are these people he was going to mention?

killadoob

Honorary Master
Gary i thought you were against wikileaks leaking stuff like this? why have you made a thread when you are so anti wiki?

Mila you don't recall mbeki withholding aids drugs and announcing crime is not a problem in SA?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Gary i thought you were against wikileaks leaking stuff like this? why have you made a thread when you are so anti wiki?
I am still... but if it's out there, why not address it?
You want me to shut up about it, and sweep it under the carpet like the ANC did?
Sorry, not gonna happen.
Anyway, as sombody already said... "was there ever any doubt?"
This just confirms what is already pretty much common knowledge.

waynegohl

Ancient Astronaut
So where too from here? What happens now that this info is out there? What is the point of wikileaks really?