ld13

Honorary Master
I do not know enough about these things so I am in need of some help here.

We have a little XP pc running an interbase server that is in need of some form of rapid recovery plan should it ever die due to hardware failure. Simply having another XP system on standby won't cover things like eg. a HDD failure.

How would I go about running a 1:1 mirror or backup of some form that does not involve shutting down the interbase server every time?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Nobody4

I do not know enough about these things so I am in need of some help here.

We have a little XP pc running an interbase server that is in need of some form of rapid recovery plan should it ever die due to hardware failure. Simply having another XP system on standby won't cover things like eg. a HDD failure.

How would I go about running a 1:1 mirror or backup of some form that does not involve shutting down the interbase server every time?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

You can protect against hard drive failure by maintaining a live copy of the database on another drive. This process is commonly called shadowing. There are three ways to maintain a live copy of the database.

Use InterBase's built-in shadowing
Use operating system disk shadowing
Use a RAID drive array

http://conferences.embarcadero.com/article/32283

ld13

Honorary Master
You can protect against hard drive failure by maintaining a live copy of the database on another drive.

http://conferences.embarcadero.com/article/32283
Thank you for your post!

I landed on embarcadero about 10 minutes ago and I am busy working through Chapter 9 of the operations guide detailing the "Journaling and Disaster Recovery" functionality that is seemingly already built into interbase etc etc.

Shadowing seems like the way to go for now. RAID is also an option but I would need more $$$ and hardware then afaik.