Deactivating and reactivating

capesean

I've just de-activated my smart card. I assume I'll only be charged pro-rata for October.

Then I was thinking, can I just re-activate it whenever I like? If I wanted to watch something next Saturday, can I reactivate it for the day, then de-activate it again afterwards? Would I just be charged for the day? Is there a limit to the number of times you can do this?

I'd prefer pay-on-demand type TV, but maybe this can be used as a close second option?

Thanks!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Do they?
I think you're allowed one upgrade and one downgrade per month. I do this between premium and lite and don't pay extra.

capesean

They charge a re-activation fee.
I heard they charged a R50 fee. Is that every single time you do it, or do you get one free activation per month? I heard a rumour about 1 freebie per month...

I'm not talking about upgrade/downgrade - I'm talking cancellation / re-activation.

Thanks

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Hang on, isn't DSTV paid in advance? If it was paid in arrears then this system might have worked a treat!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Ok I don't cancel. I just go down to the R20 per month package or whatever it is. It's all charged pro rata

capesean

Hang on, isn't DSTV paid in advance? If it was paid in arrears then this system might have worked a treat!
It is, but I believe they charge & refund you pro-rata. So if you sign up on the 10th, they charge you from the 10th to the 31st. If you cancel the next month on the 10th, they refund you from the 11th to the 31st.

Assuming all months had 31 days.

capesean

Say you only want weekend sport & Sunday movies. You could cancel every Sunday night, and reactivate every Saturday morning. In theory, you'd get charged R50 + 2 days (approximately R20/day) = R90 per weekend. So R360 per month. Which is a lot cheaper than R600 per month.

Is that possible?

eehellfire

Honorary Master
Say you only want weekend sport & Sunday movies. You could cancel every Sunday night, and reactivate every Saturday morning. In theory, you'd get charged R50 + 2 days (approximately R20/day) = R90 per weekend. So R360 per month. Which is a lot cheaper than R600 per month.

Is that possible?
That's a lot of admin.
And some months will have 5 weekends instead of 4, pushing you up to 450 per month.
Is your time not worth more than the R240 saving?

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
If they didn't have that reconnect fee I'll deactivate mine each morning when I leave for work and activate it when I get home :whistling:

greenbean32

You can upgrade as much as you want (can), but only one downgrade per 30 day period.
Found out the first whilst upgrading.

capesean

That's a lot of admin.
And some months will have 5 weekends instead of 4, pushing you up to 450 per month.
Is your time not worth more than the R240 saving?
I wouldn't really do that. I only want DSTV for sport. And in summer it's not great - I like the northern hemisphere sporting season, Tour De France, Tennis, Euro Champs/World Cups/ etc. So in our winter, I'll have it on for 3 - 4 months. But in our summer, I'm happy to turn it off, and maybe turn it on once or twice a month if there's a springbok match that I'm not watching at someone else's house / in a bar. So it would be a big saving.

Also, it would be my way of sticking it to DSTV for not allowing pure pay-on-demand / forcing me to pay for all the other **** that I don't want. :)