Degrading Telkom LTE Uncapped speeds

Is there anyone from the Florida Glen area that have taken up this offer?

I am looking for information / experience pertaining to actual usage of LTE Uncapped in the area where I live.

If speeds at their worst for the area is 4megs at worst, then it is definitely worthwhile for me to have a look. Even if it is a 24 month contract.
 
I would like to try out this service, I'm currently staying in Kempton park where they still have 150 spots available but in April I will be moving to Midrand where there's no coverage for the promotion. I will have LTE-A coverage though. I know that Telkom says that I will need to use the service at the address that I signed up with. What happens if i decide to use at a different place? I know one thing I can't do is to complain about bad signal..
Thought @sandman was in kempton park so strange 150 available? Should be at least 149.
Be prepared for long waits ordering activating and then inconsistent speeds. But last issue a fact of life for any isp.
 
I would like to try out this service, I'm currently staying in Kempton park where they still have 150 spots available but in April I will be moving to Midrand where there's no coverage for the promotion. I will have LTE-A coverage though. I know that Telkom says that I will need to use the service at the address that I signed up with. What happens if i decide to use at a different place? I know one thing I can't do is to complain about bad signal..

I do believe you will not be able to connect. By using it at the address you sign on with they mean that your account will be paired with the cell tower, thus I believe your sim would not be able to authenticate with any other tower. This is just my opinion however, not 100% sure but I think this is how it will work.
 
I do believe you will not be able to connect. By using it at the address you sign on with they mean that your account will be paired with the cell tower, thus I believe your sim would not be able to authenticate with any other tower. This is just my opinion however, not 100% sure but I think this is how it will work.

Wrong. It work's 100% outside your area. The first thing I did after getting this was taking it to the office to test the theory. I was also house-sitting over December and took my modem with. Neither the office, nor the house I was watching is in a promotional area. Both worked fine. As long as you have LTE access in the area, it should be fine.
 
I do believe you will not be able to connect. By using it at the address you sign on with they mean that your account will be paired with the cell tower, thus I believe your sim would not be able to authenticate with any other tower. This is just my opinion however, not 100% sure but I think this is how it will work.
Theoretically yes but some have been able to use even in their cars.
Will probably lock modems in the future.
 
Is everyone that have taken up the deal so far happy?
If given the choice, will you do it again?

Yes, yes and again yes. Even if fibre popped up wouldnt move hit 82mb this afternoon.

Telkom admin is a nightmare but this was worth it.
 
Bit horrible this afternoon. But coming from 4mbps its cool.

Check out my Ookla Speedtest result. What's your speed? http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1770107296

Yeah have also had a bad afternoon (after a mostly good week).
47093f0ae116d9c7f98327528e4c3e8b.jpg


Quite similar to your results.

Like usual, early this morning was closer to 65Mbps.
The bigger problem right now is ping, though: it's all over the place so gaming is a disaster for the kids right now. That speedtest was OK but others exceed 100ms.

I'm sure it'll degrade further as 'proper' peak time sets in over the next few hours.

Failing over to ADSL. Again.
 
Is everyone that have taken up the deal so far happy?
If given the choice, will you do it again?

Based on performance to date (11 days) I cannot give a final recommendation yet for the following reasons:

1. The speed is all over the place, and when it goes down I have to fiddle with the router location, the antenna and speed tests. But Telkom has not yet come to install my roof antenna, so the installation is not really complete.
2. HD streaming does not seem to be as smooth as on a 10Mbps line, maybe due to reason 1 above. But download speeds are much higher.
3. From other posts in this thread the speed reduces drastically during peak periods. This will get worse as more people sign up to LTE.

Whether you get a stable and fast LTE experience seems to be a matter of luck at the moment. I hope I will get a more consistent performance once Telkom has installed my roof antenna. It would not be fair to judge until the installation is complete.

If you can get fibre or 20Mbps ADSL in your area then those are better options (due to the limitations of wireless). But compared to 2Mbps or 4Mbps ADSL Telkom's LTE deal is probably better. Also for the price it is good value.
 
Last edited:
I'm sure it'll degrade further as 'proper' peak time sets in over the next few hours.

And there it is:
c15cca532d0f45c4445d52e87ca5b927.jpg


This with the same 4 bars (and Telkom-installed antenna) that netted me over 65Mbps this morning.

My old ADSL line is over three times as fast at present.
 
Based on performance to date (11 days) I cannot give a final recommendation yet for the following reasons:
1. The speed is all over the place, then I have to fiddle with the router location, the antenna and speed tests.
2. HD streaming does not seem to be as smooth as on a 10Mbps line, maybe due to reason 1 above. But download speeds are much higher.
3. From other posts in this thread the speed reduces drastically during peak periods. This will get worse as more people sign up to LTE.

Whether you get a stable and fast LTE experience seems to be a matter of luck at the moment. I hope the package will give a more consistent performance once the roof antenna is installed.

If you can get fibre or 20Mbps ADSL in your area then those are better options (due to the limitations of wireless). But compared to 2Mbps or 4Mbps ADSL then Telkom's LTE deal is better.
Thanks for your feedback. Max I can get in my place is 4meg wat Adsl. No options to anything higher due to distance on loop. Not even WISP options.
 
Yes, yes and again yes. Even if fibre popped up wouldnt move hit 82mb this afternoon.

Telkom admin is a nightmare but this was worth it.
First weekend and no external antenna. Its ok so far but will see how it goes.
 
Yeah have also had a bad afternoon (after a mostly good week).
47093f0ae116d9c7f98327528e4c3e8b.jpg


Quite similar to your results.

Like usual, early this morning was closer to 65Mbps.
The bigger problem right now is ping, though: it's all over the place so gaming is a disaster for the kids right now. That speedtest was OK but others exceed 100ms.

I'm sure it'll degrade further as 'proper' peak time sets in over the next few hours.

Failing over to ADSL. Again.
Mine without external antenna so hoping for improvement
 
Mine without external antenna so hoping for improvement

The external antenna doubled performance when Telkom installed mine.

It doesn't help on-peak when contention is wrecking parts of their network, though.

Back to full-speed now. Until tomorrow night ;)
 
This afternoon (3PM):

586c236c0d7cd3527884610e1a35e914.jpg



This evening:
ed471ea5732f2dd27810b054df10f4d5.jpg


I've disconnected the LTE router from the external roof-mounted antenna and tried almost every location in my house in the hope of perhaps finding another tower. No dice.

Hola, ADSL!
 
I get 2Mbps at the moment - earlier today I got near 80Mbps !!!! This is utter CRAP man !!!
 
Restarted router got put in a 154 network and now its FLYING ( for now ) - I get 70Mbps + !

EDIT: Nah - still crap - it was OK for a moment.
 
Last edited:
Restarted router got put in a 154 network and now its FLYING ( for now ) - I get 70Mbps + !

When I plugged back in it was back up. But only for about half an hour; then it went back down. (That's usually the case).

Try in like thirty minutes and let us know?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X