Deploying to the Apple App Store (iOS)

Daruk

Honorary Master
I'm needing to deploy an app developed with React Native to the App store but haven't done it before. I've signed up for the developer account and if I'm to understand it, I need a macbook and xCode to complete the deployment. I've compiled and deployed to the Google Play store without issues but the App store could be fun... ahem...

What hardware do I need exactly? Can I get by with a basic macbook air 2Gb RAM, 64 Gb drive or do I have to get a certain level macbook (and OS level?) to do the compile / deployment?
OR.... is it acheiveable in a virtual machine on VMWare or VirtualBox?

Thanks in advance!

Tander

Executive Member
You'll need a Mac running macOS high Sierra. If the app has been signed already then you don't need Xcode - there is a another tool, Application Loader - that you download from the Apple developer's website.

If the app has not been signed yet, then you'll need to have the correct signing profiles and certs. All of which you can get from the developer website (https://developer.apple.com)

Daruk

Honorary Master
You'll need a Mac running macOS high Sierra. If the app has been signed already then you don't need Xcode - there is a another tool, Application Loader - that you download from the Apple developer's website.

If the app has not been signed yet, then you'll need to have the correct signing profiles and certs. All of which you can get from the developer website (https://developer.apple.com)
Awesome, thanks!

Daruk

Honorary Master

The app has been developed in VS Code on a PC - can I safely assume that I'm not going to get it signed without XCode on a Mac? Reading other posts on stackexchange, everyone seems to indicate that the Application Loader requires Xcode to operate... perhaps I'm missing something?

*EDIT*
I'm currently looking at https://github.com/expo
It seems it may be possible to build a React Native iOS app under Windows with that... not 100% sure yet.

Also, if a mac is required then I may look at macincloud.com

Last edited:

SYNERGY

Executive Member
I'm needing to deploy an app developed with React Native to the App store but haven't done it before. I've signed up for the developer account and if I'm to understand it, I need a macbook and xCode to complete the deployment. I've compiled and deployed to the Google Play store without issues but the App store could be fun... ahem...

What hardware do I need exactly? Can I get by with a basic macbook air 2Gb RAM, 64 Gb drive or do I have to get a certain level macbook (and OS level?) to do the compile / deployment?
OR.... is it acheiveable in a virtual machine on VMWare or VirtualBox?

Thanks in advance!
This.

SYNERGY

Executive Member
Unfortunately VMWare machine is playing up - intermittently slows down to being unusable within 5 minutes of booting. Not sure what's up.
There's a Linus Tech Tip video where he installed Mac Os on Linux with virtually no slow down. It's on youtube.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
There's a Linus Tech Tip video where he installed Mac Os on Linux with virtually no slow down. It's on youtube.
I did it before, on my desktop, as a VMWare Player image. It worked a treat.. I just couldn't spare the hard disk space, and then I thought bugger it, we're getting the real thing anyway

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
@Daruk.. stop being a wuss and buy a Mac, once you got Mac you never go back...
He seemed more than willing to do this.

However the hardware spec mentioned wouldn’t have cut it for High Sierra and therefore not the latest version of Xcode.

A new MacBook Air would do the job.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I have an air that runs High Sierra but need to upgrade the SSD. Trying to avoid spending $ unnecessarily to do one job. Would love a Mac for work one day... Just not now.

Looks like $20 a month for a cloud server is a bargain for what I need it for.

Daruk

Honorary Master
I've done it on PC under Windows without issue previously, I just don't want to go through that again for another version. Ugh.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
He seemed more than willing to do this.

However the hardware spec mentioned wouldn’t have cut it for High Sierra and therefore not the latest version of Xcode.

A new MacBook Air would do the job.
The latest version of Xcode including Swift 5 requires macOS Mojave 10.14.4; so even if his spec could only accommodate High Sierrra it would not be suitable for continued development in light of Swift's ABI and very likelihood that Apple would want developers to comply with that after WWDC in June + it;s very likely there's going to be a new macOS is they keep up with yearly releases, and similarly Xcode.

Swift Compiler for Windows
The release of Swift for Windows is almost feature complete and for the most part ready to start beta testing full Windows builds using Visual Studio and the C / C++ Windows APIs; however the possibility for something equating with the cross platform shared builds like C# and .Net's Xamarin is not even on the radar. The Swift core language, Foundation libraries whilst available on Windows do not provide any guaranteed and transparent cross platform compatibility between macOS, Linux and Windows; so would require compiler logical predicates for quite a few of the remaining Foundation library differences.

SwiftPM
SwiftPM is also feature complete on Windows, so most of the type generic github libraries should work fine, but that's where it ends. The rest of the APIs stuff would be what's specific for each platform; for example:
  • macOS / ios / tvOS / watchOS
  • Linux GDI+
  • Windows C / C++ APIs.

You can btw find more on Swift on Windows here: https://forums.swift.org/t/swift-windows/22458

Last edited:

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Not going to help you but I deploy to the App Store directly from the Windows IDE: www.b4x.com
That's an overlap with a majority of the new cross platform integration and build features that Microsoft launched with VS2019; so that would also be another option if he was using C# as opposed to Swift.

Last edited:

Daruk

Honorary Master
That's an overlap with a majority of the new cross platform integration and build features that Microsoft launched with VS2019; so that would also be another option if he was using C# as opposed to Swift.
Yeah, unfortunately React Native as mentioned in OP

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The latest version of Xcode including Swift 5 requires macOS Mojave 10.14.4; so even if his spec could only accommodate High Sierrra it would not be suitable for continued development in light of Swift's ABI and very likelihood that Apple would want developers to comply with that after WWDC in June + it;s very likely there's going to be a new macOS is they keep up with yearly releases, and similarly Xcode.
Sorry, typo there.

I meant Mojave.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Yeah, unfortunately React Native as mentioned in OP
In that case you really need to consider moving to a Mac; your current workflow doesn't sound like it lends itself to proper testing and depending on the growing complexity of the app, that's very likely to bite you.

Daruk

Honorary Master
In that case you really need to consider moving to a Mac; your current workflow doesn't sound like it lends itself to proper testing and depending on the growing complexity of the app, that's very likely to bite you.
Yeah. Macincloud for $20 pm will suffice for now I reckon.