Discovery Vitality [2018]

I need to do a vitality fitness assessment to get to gold this year. I havent been in a while. What activities/exercises do the tests entail?
 
No you done need to initiate a drive but Bluetooth needs to be on. Good luck with the Huawei, discovery says its not compatible due to some power save feature but it may work. May sure it says sensor connected then you know it will record the drive

But why does blutooth need to be on? It's not like you're conencting to a BT device... it's just the phone recording stuff with it's geo sensors ????
 
But why does blutooth need to be on? It's not like you're conencting to a BT device... it's just the phone recording stuff with it's geo sensors ????
I've got the tag from. Tiger wheel n tyre that's attached to your windscreen
 
I'm not using their insurance so do not have the tag.. surely their app should "know" when a BT device is not paired/used and not force me to turn it on. Corner cutting coding again I guess.
 
But why does blutooth need to be on? It's not like you're conencting to a BT device... it's just the phone recording stuff with it's geo sensors ????


I am not sure if Discovery works the same, but one of the ways Apple knows you are driving in Do Not Disturb mode is your car hands free being connected on BT
 
Does force closing the app stop it from logging a trip? For those times you might not want to log a trip?.
 
I need to do a vitality fitness assessment to get to gold this year. I havent been in a while. What activities/exercises do the tests entail?
Haven't done it this year (will need to to retain HealthyGear max discount though; don't need the points), but last year it was quite tame. I think 10 min walking on the treadmill with HR momitor to measure recovery rate (instead of the timed steps in previous years), followed mainly by flexibility tests. In previous years I it was a bit more exertion (push-ups, sit-ups etc.).
 
No you done need to initiate a drive but Bluetooth needs to be on. Good luck with the Huawei, discovery says its not compatible due to some power save feature but it may work. May sure it says sensor connected then you know it will record the drive
I have made the Vitality Open driving goals without having Bluetooth on (I assume it's only required with the device for people on Discovery insurance), only GPS on when driving, and it seems to identify driving trips ok (and deduct points for "harsh braking", "speeding" where it has the speed limit wrong etc.).

My wife's phone (a Xiaomi) doesn't detect driving as easily, but I see reports that the GPS on Xiaomi phoned is not as accurate.
 
Last edited:
On Xiaomi I had issues too.
Initially I thought it was the battery saver, but it was set to not restrict the app at all.
Eventually also looked at the autostart menu, which even if the app has permision to auto start at boot (default android permission setting), Xiaomi ALSO have their own autostart menu where you have to enable it, then it started working.
 
Haven't done it this year (will need to to retain HealthyGear max discount though; don't need the points), but last year it was quite tame. I think 10 min walking on the treadmill with HR momitor to measure recovery rate (instead of the timed steps in previous years), followed mainly by flexibility tests. In previous years I it was a bit more exertion (push-ups, sit-ups etc.).

Ok cool. What did the flexibility tests entail?
 
Haven't done it this year (will need to to retain HealthyGear max discount though; don't need the points), but last year it was quite tame. I think 10 min walking on the treadmill with HR momitor to measure recovery rate (instead of the timed steps in previous years), followed mainly by flexibility tests. In previous years I it was a bit more exertion (push-ups, sit-ups etc.).
Last year I did the watt bike (instead of treadmill) and it was anything but tame. Tinuva had a post last year I think where he explained in some detail what the test entailed.
 
Ok cool. What did the flexibility tests entail?
If I remember correctly, apart from the Wattbike I had to do one deep squat (fairly close to and) facing a wall, one push up, a shoulder stretch test (trying to touch your hands, one over behind your head and the other from below behind your back?), single leg squats from a low bench, a straight leg lift lying on your back ... not sure if there was a sit-up somewhere as well?
 
Someone just went and told me it was like, 3 push ups, stretch test, a squat and then some form of cardio
 
Someone just went and told me it was like, 3 push ups, stretch test, a squat and then some form of cardio
Yeah, heard it's pretty much a joke. They used to make you do stepping intervals to measure heart rate and recovery, plus max no of push ups, sit ups in a minute, flexibility etc. I guess that's too much for some people :rolleyes:
 
Yeah, heard it's pretty much a joke. They used to make you do stepping intervals to measure heart rate and recovery, plus max no of push ups, sit ups in a minute, flexibility etc. I guess that's too much for some people :rolleyes:

100% - which is why I get annoyed when they move some goal posts, they changed their whole vitality based on a 'you can't buy gold, you need to have been active to get it', so they create the unrealistic points hurdles (like 80% max which will basically kill you).... but then fitness assessment is a joke
 
100% - which is why I get annoyed when they move some goal posts, they changed their whole vitality based on a 'you can't buy gold, you need to have been active to get it', so they create the unrealistic points hurdles (like 80% max which will basically kill you).... but then fitness assessment is a joke

All my exercise is at 80% of heart rate without trying. Known to average 170 for three hours when cycling. Guaranteed 300 points for 30 mins exercise everytime . Weirdly, my resting heart rate is only about 48 which supposed to mean its good but who really knows
 
You can get 300 points for 1h at 70% as well. Takes a bit more time but I find it much less strenuous overall, and probably better for fat burning if I understand what my Polar tells me correctly. Park runs you can take a leisurely stroll, still finish in about 45 minutes and get 300 points. Not unrealistic at all.
 
100% - which is why I get annoyed when they move some goal posts, they changed their whole vitality based on a 'you can't buy gold, you need to have been active to get it', so they create the unrealistic points hurdles (like 80% max which will basically kill you).... but then fitness assessment is a joke
How will 80% of max kill you? I average over 80% of max for over 3 hours while cycling... Hell, I've averaged over 90% of max for an hour in shorter races and I didn't die (at least last I check I'm not dead)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X