Discovery Vitality [2019]

Jchan11hk

FYI, the blood pressure test has become a big scam that Vitality is using to avoid giving points.

The internationally accepted standard for blood pressure is 120/80, and has been this way forever. Anything from 140/90 is unhealthy. Therefore the cut-off was always 130/85

Now, a study (probably sponsored by a blood pressure medication company) decided that anybody with a value of 80 for diastolic (the bottom number) is also unhealthy. Basically they found a way to add tens of millions of new patients, by just lowering the threshold.

Vitality has latched onto this, and last year they quietly changed their acceptable range of blood pressure so that your diastolic must now be below 80. So 120/79 is fine. But 120/80 is a fail, and your pressure is out of range, and you lose the points.

The problem is 120/80 is such an internationally recognized standard, that your nurse will write 120/80, even if you have 120/79, because in their mind, it's the same thing.

So demand that your nurse captures a healthy blood pressure as 120/79. And if you have 120/80 and Vitality stole your points, complain to them. When I fought with Vitality about it, they "made an exception" and gave me the points.
Wow, okay, but as Insurance companies always do, find reasons for not to pay out. Hence, this is their way of making a profit. I think I can still get to Diamond this year, just that it will be more difficult going forward.

radicool

They award points where BP is less than 130/80 mmHg, but point taken :thumbsup:
Yes, exactly, I didn't make it clear.

120/79 is a "pass" as I indicated, and as you point out, so too is 129/79.

130/79 is a fail. 129/80 is a fail.

But the problem, i.e. the "scam" part is that "120/80" is now a fail, whereas it was always a pass in the past.

Pufferfish94

I just hit gold for my third year in a row, so diamond next year.

I wanted to find out what all the benefits are of being on Diamond status, anybody know?

vancity33

I just hit gold for my third year in a row, so diamond next year.

I wanted to find out what all the benefits are of being on Diamond status, anybody know?
I definitely helps if you have a life insurance policy with them and a payback integrator. But if not, I recently booked a Eurotrip with the 35% Emirates discount. I think Gold is 30% or something.