Discovery Vitality [2019]

abudabi

Expert Member
Hey everyone. I don't wear a watch, but need one to keep tracking my HR. What is the cheapest HR watch I can possibly buy which will work with Vitality? I'm on Android and usually go the the gym about 5 times per week for what its worth.
Also consider a chest strap HRM that links to the polar app on your phone via BT. Normally they go for under a grand.

Gamer

Expert Member
You should be able to add a field for average heart rate - even better.
Ah, is it 30+ minutes at AVERAGE HR being 80%+ of max? That's obviously easier than what I do, although I probably won't change my way of doing things, I've lost 23.5kg's since 26 August 2018, it's working for me :)

Noisybottom

Hey the Xiaomi S2
Hi, I posted to a different thread earlier this week regarding fitness trackers with vitality comparability. I have a Xiaomi Resume Note 3 (I'd presume the Xiaomi S2 has same) and use a garmin heart rate monitor strap (from my packed up garmin device) and Samsung Health app.
You will need the ANT+ HRM strap and some ANT+ apps installed.
The apps needed are ANT Radio Service, ANT+ Plugin Service and ANT Tester (this was needed to see if ANT+ was working and switch on the plugin and service). These are all in the Google play Store and free.

Hellhound105

Expert Member
Hi, I posted to a different thread earlier this week regarding fitness trackers with vitality comparability. I have a Xiaomi Resume Note 3 (I'd presume the Xiaomi S2 has same) and use a garmin heart rate monitor strap (from my packed up garmin device) and Samsung Health app.
You will need the ANT+ HRM strap and some ANT+ apps installed.
The apps needed are ANT Radio Service, ANT+ Plugin Service and ANT Tester (this was needed to see if ANT+ was working and switch on the plugin and service). These are all in the Google play Store and free.
Still love the reviews for ANT Radio +

Aharon

Executive Member
Ah, is it 30+ minutes at AVERAGE HR being 80%+ of max? That's obviously easier than what I do, although I probably won't change my way of doing things, I've lost 23.5kg's since 26 August 2018, it's working for me :)
Wow! Do share mate, if you want in PM

Gamer

Expert Member
Wow! Do share mate, if you want in PM
I assume you refer to the weight loss?

I'll try keep a long story short.
Sedentary life style, loved food too much, enjoyed social drinking. Have been 140kg or so for years. 1.86m tall, in my early 40's now. When my 1st child was born, I held her in my arms for the first time and promised her I'd not be the fat lazy Dad etc. Nothing changed. My 2nd was born, I told him the same thing. Nothing changed. She turned 5 this Christmas and he's 1yr 5m now.

Basically a few things in a row finally helped my brain flick the switch. It was for me, not my kids, not my wife, but for me. For me to be healthy, for me to live as long as possible to enjoy my wife and kids and to enjoy life to the fullest.

Every 12 week challenge I ever did had a finite goal. At the end of the 12 weeks, after all the blood, sweat and tears were done, the goal was over and I needed a break, needed to reward myself. Always went straight back to where I was. Those crash course challenges were not sustainable for me.

One Sunday afternoon in August, having a lazy beer and braai day at home with mates. Got told about a friend of a friend who sounded just like me, weight and activity wise. He'd lost 40kg's in 9 months. I was interested. I listened to the details of what he did and the day went on.

I must have soaked it all in. I woke up the next morning and started making a fairly healthy breakfast. My wife asked me what I was doing. I said I think I'm going to try eating a bit better.
That was 27 August.

I didn't stop. So, what I changed was. What I eat (I eat normal meals/food including potato, pasta, a pizza once a week etc) and portion control (not simply filling my plate like a madman but a reasonable portion). I cut out bread, sugar, take outs and alcohol. I realised it's simply all about calories. If I want to lose weight, less in than what is being burned. For the first week I was fairly hungry as my portion sizes decreased, but after that my body adjusted and now my portions are completely satisfying.

I am not obsessed about my weight, I did and still only weight myself every 2 weeks. Last time I weighed myself (day after coming back from a 3 week holiday away) I was 117.5kg. I even lost 1.8kg over my 3 week holiday.

For the first 6 weeks, I changed zero with respect to exercise. I had lost 8kg's or so by simply stopping eating like a teenager. I started feeling better, sleeping better, had tons more energy and naturally began feeling like doing some exercise.

I joined a friend for a parkrun. I walked/jogged that 1st one and got a time of 49m40s/5km.
I kept at it most Saturday and really started enjoying it. I now run 5km three times a week and am averaging 34m/5km.

This is my weight chart since starting (attached). The little bump upwards (between September and October) is an error in the stats when I moved over from tracking my data on Fitbit and moved to a Garmin device.

Back from holiday on Saturday after eating a lot of rubbish and back to normal on Sunday morning, good, wholesome food of reasonable portions. I did not stop my runs while on holiday.

That's my story so far. My goal weight is somewhere in the 90's. Not totally fussed until I get there and see what's good for me.

Important part for me is that it's totally sustainable, easy and I'm still loving the food.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My vitality drive section was visible on the app again. Now it has disappeared again :(

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Does anyone know if the Discovery Run Series is being run (haha!) again in 2019?

You got almost double the amount of points that you'd normally when running a 10km race + 1000 bonus points if you ran 3/4 races (think it was only in CT and JHB). Was quite nice getting over 5000 points in quick succession.

amabacha

Does anyone know if the Discovery Run Series is being run (haha!) again in 2019?

You got almost double the amount of points that you'd normally when running a 10km race + 1000 bonus points if you ran 3/4 races (think it was only in CT and JHB). Was quite nice getting over 5000 points in quick succession.
I asked this question on Twitter as it only took place in JHB (as far as I was aware) and it seems that it is happening again - JHB & CT

abudabi

Expert Member
Trying to see what options are available for redeeming 500 points but the app gives an error. Anyone else?

ros_b

Trying to see what options are available for redeeming 500 points but the app gives an error. Anyone else?
Yup, same here.
On that note, could someone *please* post here (or should I start a new thread?) if they see a Woolies 100 reward available. Pissed off it's hardly ever available these days.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
Damn :confused: I overshot my weekly target by 100 points because my Fitbit Versa sneakily recorded a 1 hour 70% average HR workout over and above the 30 minute workout I actively recorded! Hoping my target doesn't increase more than 50 if anything at all :rolleyes:

jman

Expert Member
Yup, same here.
On that note, could someone *please* post here (or should I start a new thread?) if they see a Woolies 100 reward available. Pissed off it's hardly ever available these days.
Yup, same here.
I saw them now

ice_cubes

Executive Member
I assume you refer to the weight loss?

I'll try keep a long story short.
Sedentary life style, loved food too much, enjoyed social drinking. Have been 140kg or so for years. 1.86m tall, in my early 40's now. When my 1st child was born, I held her in my arms for the first time and promised her I'd not be the fat lazy Dad etc. Nothing changed. My 2nd was born, I told him the same thing. Nothing changed. She turned 5 this Christmas and he's 1yr 5m now.

Basically a few things in a row finally helped my brain flick the switch. It was for me, not my kids, not my wife, but for me. For me to be healthy, for me to live as long as possible to enjoy my wife and kids and to enjoy life to the fullest.

Every 12 week challenge I ever did had a finite goal. At the end of the 12 weeks, after all the blood, sweat and tears were done, the goal was over and I needed a break, needed to reward myself. Always went straight back to where I was. Those crash course challenges were not sustainable for me.

One Sunday afternoon in August, having a lazy beer and braai day at home with mates. Got told about a friend of a friend who sounded just like me, weight and activity wise. He'd lost 40kg's in 9 months. I was interested. I listened to the details of what he did and the day went on.

I must have soaked it all in. I woke up the next morning and started making a fairly healthy breakfast. My wife asked me what I was doing. I said I think I'm going to try eating a bit better.
That was 27 August.

I didn't stop. So, what I changed was. What I eat (I eat normal meals/food including potato, pasta, a pizza once a week etc) and portion control (not simply filling my plate like a madman but a reasonable portion). I cut out bread, sugar, take outs and alcohol. I realised it's simply all about calories. If I want to lose weight, less in than what is being burned. For the first week I was fairly hungry as my portion sizes decreased, but after that my body adjusted and now my portions are completely satisfying.

I am not obsessed about my weight, I did and still only weight myself every 2 weeks. Last time I weighed myself (day after coming back from a 3 week holiday away) I was 117.5kg. I even lost 1.8kg over my 3 week holiday.

For the first 6 weeks, I changed zero with respect to exercise. I had lost 8kg's or so by simply stopping eating like a teenager. I started feeling better, sleeping better, had tons more energy and naturally began feeling like doing some exercise.

I joined a friend for a parkrun. I walked/jogged that 1st one and got a time of 49m40s/5km.
I kept at it most Saturday and really started enjoying it. I now run 5km three times a week and am averaging 34m/5km.

This is my weight chart since starting (attached). The little bump upwards (between September and October) is an error in the stats when I moved over from tracking my data on Fitbit and moved to a Garmin device.

Back from holiday on Saturday after eating a lot of rubbish and back to normal on Sunday morning, good, wholesome food of reasonable portions. I did not stop my runs while on holiday.

That's my story so far. My goal weight is somewhere in the 90's. Not totally fussed until I get there and see what's good for me.

Important part for me is that it's totally sustainable, easy and I'm still loving the food.
congratulations