Discovery Vitality [2019]

Dee96

I don' t think you will get all of that and have it be cheap. All that comes to mind is the Fitbit Versa which at its cheapest is around R2800. With HealthyCare or HealthyGear discount you could get R500 cash back** on the purchase from Dischem/Sportmans respectively.

**[Assuming you don't buy anything else from them that month].

Also what smartphone do you have since the device in question needs to sync with your phone. The Versa for example doesn't play nice with some or possibly most of the Huawei phones.

I have the Pebble time currently.... Also the versa looks good but it is between R4k and R4.5k which I think is crazy

beefymoocow

Discovery had a promotion on Huawei devices. You get 100% off but I think it applied to new members and people who joined during the vitality open period.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
I have the Pebble time currently.... Also the versa looks good but it is between R4k and R4.5k which I think is crazy
Ok, hectic, initially around June 2018 the launch price was about R3200 and even dropped to R2900 when Dischem had them on sale 2 months after that. I see the price is now R4,299 at Dischem and C.U.M. o_O

The special edition went up even more from R3699 June 2018 to now where it's R4999!

Gamer

Expert Member
Jeez, that's crazy. I paid R1800 for my Versa in September from the ebucks store. Over R4k now, nuts. For that kind of money I'd look at the garmin range. Vivosmart 3 is about R2k and Vivosmart 4 around R4k. Both do activity and HR tracking plus some other basic stuff. Add some more to the budget and the fun really starts.

If you've got a friend on Multiply, they can possibly get you the vivosmart bundle for R2835 and you get one of each of what I've mentioned above.

Dee96

Jeez, that's crazy. I paid R1800 for my Versa in September from the ebucks store. Over R4k now, nuts. For that kind of money I'd look at the garmin range. Vivosmart 3 is about R2k and Vivosmart 4 around R4k. Both do activity and HR tracking plus some other basic stuff. Add some more to the budget and the fun really starts.

If you've got a friend on Multiply, they can possibly get you the vivosmart bundle for R2835 and you get one of each of what I've mentioned above.
I know... The price is insane... Link to vivosmart bundle please?

CranialBlaze

Expert Member

Blu82

Expert Member
Navworld is running specials across the entire Garmin range. You can for instance get a 735 for under 5k and Vivosports for 2k5.

StrontiumDog

Executive Member
The rust based are pretty inaccurate for strength training. HR fluctuations are too quick and erratic for them. I have a Fennix 5 and wear an external HRM.
Assuming you meant wrist based, yes they are not ideal for strength training, which is why I asked the question on type of training. My workouts tend to be 25% cardio and 75% strength based but I have to half kill myself to get above 70% average HR, constantly guessing as to what my current average is with the Fitbit Versa or even Polar H7.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Assuming you meant wrist based, yes they are not ideal for strength training, which is why I asked the question on type of training. My workouts tend to be 25% cardio and 75% strength based but I have to half kill myself to get above 70% average HR, constantly guessing as to what my current average is with the Fitbit Versa or even Polar H7.
I got the polar oh1 which works well for strength, bought it actually for swimming, but works well for the rest.

From my own experience it's most accurate for running, cycling less so and lifting its borderline worthless.

Fishzn

hey guys, so how does the gym discount benefit work - the discovery site says 75% for club and 60% for premier by default - and then based on discovery weekly goals you then get 85% and 100% discount rates.

How would one get this exactly - is it say 3 visits per week(3x100 pts) to the gym and you're reaching the 85% tier - the site it confusing as to how this calculated. Need some help as I am trying to decide between the premier and club memberships :)

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
hey guys, so how does the gym discount benefit work - the discovery site says 75% for club and 60% for premier by default - and then based on discovery weekly goals you then get 85% and 100% discount rates.

How would one get this exactly - is it say 3 visits per week(3x100 pts) to the gym and you're reaching the 85% tier - the site it confusing as to how this calculated. Need some help as I am trying to decide between the premier and club memberships :)
It's not additional discounts, it's rebates.

You get the 75% discount, pay the 25% and assuming you make your weekly goals for 4 weeks, you get paid the 25% value back.

The entire benefit also requires you to visit the gym at least 36 times in a rolling 12 month period.

Aharon

Executive Member
Also remember if you take the premier membership (national access) you get no rebates at all. It's just the discount they give on the membership.

cfvh600

Expert Member

It is a Vivosmart 3 and Vivofit4. The Vivofit 4 doesn't have HR monitoring.

Fishzn

Thanks guys :)

Cranialblaze, could you elaborate on the weekly goals? How does it work exactly - I see it says 85% for 3 weekly goals per month - does that work out to 3 x 3 gym visits weekly, and say I do a parkrun every week - then is that 4 goals hit for the month per week - so 100% off(75% discount, 25% rebate)?