Discovery Vitality [2019]

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Thanks guys :)

Cranialblaze, could you elaborate on the weekly goals? How does it work exactly - I see it says 85% for 3 weekly goals per month - does that work out to 3 x 3 gym visits weekly, and say I do a parkrun every week - then is that 4 goals hit for the month per week - so 100% off(75% discount, 25% rebate)?
It depends on what your goals are, it's got nothing to do with visiting the gym.

In the app you will see your goal points, a gym visit is 100 points, if your goal is 300 points then sure 3 visits will do, if its 900 points then well no.

In order to make the max normal goal of 900 you either need a HRM or visit a park run and make minimum 10k steps or 1 gym visit the remaining 6 days of the week, or you could do a MyRun on a Sunday as well and then 3 gym visits or whatever.

So if your new to vitialy your goal will be 300 points I think and go up 50 each week or so if you make your goals up until it hits 900.

You will need to make these points all 4 weeks of the month in order to get the full 25% back.

So again, if you are new, start researching werables with HRM to make your life easier, you can then also use device booster to get some dosh back from that, not much but ya.

Fishzn

It depends on what your goals are, it's got nothing to do with visiting the gym.

In the app you will see your goal points, a gym visit is 100 points, if your goal is 300 points then sure 3 visits will do, if its 900 points then well no.

In order to make the max normal goal of 900 you either need a HRM or visit a park run and make minimum 10k steps or 1 gym visit the remaining 6 days of the week, or you could do a MyRun on a Sunday as well and then 3 gym visits or whatever.

So if your new to vitialy your goal will be 300 points I think and go up 50 each week or so if you make your goals up until it hits 900.

You will need to make these points all 4 weeks of the month in order to get the full 25% back.

So again, if you are new, start researching werables with HRM to make your life easier, you can then also use device booster to get some dosh back from that, not much but ya.

Awesome, thank you! Guys on mybb should get paid for knowledge like this - I have yet to find anything on the discovery site that explains the system with this amount of clarity and simplicity. But I guess to some degree they don't want their clients knowing stuff like this as they'll make less money if guys work the system well :)

Recallza

Awesome, thank you! Guys on mybb should get paid for knowledge like this - I have yet to find anything on the discovery site that explains the system with this amount of clarity and simplicity. But I guess to some degree they don't want their clients knowing stuff like this as they'll make less money if guys work the system well :)
Working the system? Lol.. Meeting your weekly goal means you're living a healthier and more active lifestyle, which should in theory reduce claims.. Its a win/win for both sides in my eyes :)

Gamer

Expert Member
As far as the fitness boosters go, in my opinion the shoe booster is the most beneficial. When I was watch/device hunting, Sportsmans was overpriced for the devices. It was cheaper for me to buy elsewhere than use the booster system (only 75% back limited to R4k).
While I've not bought a bike recently, being limited to Cyclelab and only 25% back on limit of R20k (plus the R850 activation) will usually result in a similar thing to what I found with the devices, an overall cheaper purchase if made elsewhere. Shoe booster on the other hand (or foot :) ) is 100% back, over the least amount of time and if done properly, your only "loss" or pay in is the activation fee.

Fcon_Vpro

Anybody else having issues with active rewards not calculating their totals correctly? ie achievements being excluded.
Also it seems like the apple app takes a few days to update the goal for the week whereas android shows from the Saturday.

They short changed me 100 points last week and this week its not showing my saturday workout correctly either.
My total points(bronze, silver, gold, etc) is calculating correctly, just the weekly goals im having issues with. Just frustrating to call every week to get them to try fix it.
So wondering if its a bigger issue that everyone is having or just isolated to me.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Working the system? Lol.. Meeting your weekly goal means you're living a healthier and more active lifestyle, which should in theory reduce claims.. Its a win/win for both sides in my eyes :)
There is a counter to that, working out at 80% max too much can have negative effects. Also a lot of people don't really know how to train so that can also lead to injury.

Some of those think they smart and grab a trainer at the gym, I dunno about others, but the virgin near me, you're more likely to be killed because of the trainer than not. The things I have seen them make people do. The worst so far was the woman, probably her first time in the gym, puts her at the squat rack with 10kg a side, done not instruct her on form AT ALL, this womans got the wrong hand and feet position yet is expecting to "safely" squat 40kg.wtf

Fishzn

No definitely, it is quite win win - maybe I'm being cynical in thinking that Discovery benefits from us not knowing exactly what we need to do to get the full rebate.

Of course, it seems that people know exactly what they need to do once they're in, but to a newbie like myself -there is nothing that conclusively tells you how the system works on any of the informational channels.

Fcon_Vpro

No definitely, it is quite win win - maybe I'm being cynical in thinking that Discovery benefits from us not knowing exactly what we need to do to get the full rebate.

Of course, it seems that people know exactly what they need to do once they're in, but to a newbie like myself -there is nothing that conclusively tells you how the system works on any of the informational channels.
You are right, the information on Vitality is very lacking. Most people have been there for a while and understand how things work because of how long they have been with them. When I joined last year, I had to search and ask people to get a full understanding of everything.

acidrain

Expert Member
Yeah, my math was based on that, but yes that is also assuming the device is 4k or more.

What did you find that was more than 25% cheaper, that's quite an impressive difference.
Was the Garmin Fenix just before Xmas. Sportmans has it for R15 999 and got it from Cape Union for R12 999. Not exactly 25% but was close enough to not really warrant using HealthyGear.

Edit: Those new getting into the game of HR monitoring, I rather recommend getting a non-hr unit and using a HR belt. Reason being, which I've experienced, is the wrist is sometimes completely off. On my normal 30min, high HR run, it would sometimes show low readings in the beginning ( even though I can feel my HR is high ) and only pick up later in on the run leaving me either short of points or having to run an hour to get the 60+ min @ 70% points. Not sure what causes this... perhaps sweat but either way got quite frustrating. After using a HR belt now, I get into the required zone a minute or 2 into the run.

Last edited:

Cray

Honorary Master
Was the Garmin Fenix just before Xmas. Sportmans has it for R15 999 and got it from Cape Union for R12 999. Not exactly 25% but was close enough to not really warrant using HealthyGear
Yup, Sportsmans is the worst for devices, got my Forerunner from Take a lot.

fruitbat

Expert Member
As far as the fitness boosters go, in my opinion the shoe booster is the most beneficial. When I was watch/device hunting, Sportsmans was overpriced for the devices. It was cheaper for me to buy elsewhere than use the booster system (only 75% back limited to R4k).
While I've not bought a bike recently, being limited to Cyclelab and only 25% back on limit of R20k (plus the R850 activation) will usually result in a similar thing to what I found with the devices, an overall cheaper purchase if made elsewhere. Shoe booster on the other hand (or foot :) ) is 100% back, over the least amount of time and if done properly, your only "loss" or pay in is the activation fee.
For the shoe booster... If you do it in year 1, and do the activation fee... When you get to year 2 and you want another pair of shoes... Do you then activate it again (pay fee) before getting another pair of shoes?

donanicky

There are guides on Discovery's website, click Vitality, then Help and scroll down to the bottom . Just above "claim points manually", click Vitality rules.

vancity33

The longer your are with them, the easier it is to understand the way they operate. But I must say that when it comes to Vitality, their brochures are very well done. Their website is loaded with pdfs that explain everything, with examples. They are very clear and user friendly in my opinion.

acidrain

Expert Member
For the shoe booster... If you do it in year 1, and do the activation fee... When you get to year 2 and you want another pair of shoes... Do you then activate it again (pay fee) before getting another pair of shoes?
Nope but I believe if you change boosters and want to go back then you will have to pay. I could stand to be corrected though.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Was the Garmin Fenix just before Xmas. Sportmans has it for R15 999 and got it from Cape Union for R12 999. Not exactly 25% but was close enough to not really warrant using HealthyGear.

Edit: Those new getting into the game of HR monitoring, I rather recommend getting a non-hr unit and using a HR belt. Reason being, which I've experienced, is the wrist is sometimes completely off. On my normal 30min, high HR run, it would sometimes show low readings in the beginning ( even though I can feel my HR is high ) and only pick up later in on the run leaving me either short of points or having to run an hour to get the 60+ min @ 70% points. Not sure what causes this... perhaps sweat but either way got quite frustrating. After using a HR belt now, I get into the required zone a minute or 2 into the run.
****, that's expensive, I got the X at sportsman's for 11k and then got my 1k back at the end of the month and my R500 on the other **** I had bought.

Fishzn

There are guides on Discovery's website, click Vitality, then Help and scroll down to the bottom . Just above "claim points manually", click Vitality rules.
Thanks for the info - did read those docs - and the different pages - was able to piece together a good understanding from that stuff - like 90% of it - just lacked the last 10%(which often is quite critical to get the full benefit out of any loyalty program). For example just exactly how the monthly goals worked - I couldn't find in those docs - I found a good general explanation, but the exactitudes I couldn't piece together.

This Vitality thread and a few others on mybb went a long way in completing those pieces of the puzzle.

acidrain

Expert Member
****, that's expensive, I got the X at sportsman's for 11k and then got my 1k back at the end of the month and my R500 on the other **** I had bought.
Oh this is the Plus Sapphire version. I initially had my eye on the non plus until I saw you can't load music on it and running without a phone was one of the many needs I was looking for.

Gamer

Expert Member
Oh this is the Plus Sapphire version. I initially had my eye on the non plus until I saw you can't load music on it and running without a phone was one of the many needs I was looking for.
Yes, I got the 5X Plus version as well, bluetooth earbuds and Spotify make my exercising without a phone nearby so much nicer!

acidrain

Expert Member
Yes, I got the 5X Plus version as well, bluetooth earbuds and Spotify make my exercising without a phone nearby so much nicer!
Which buds did you get? I got the skullcandy Ink'd 2.0 and lasted a whole 2 weeks. Takealot credited me now just figuring out what isn't going to fail.