Discovery Vitality 2021

bigboy529

Expert Member
I think Vitality includes all 3 as in Vitality Active/Health, Vitality Money and Vitality Drive

This is also how I understand it, you can only do Active for R89 or the full suite for R299.
Obviously on Active you can only get active rewards for fitness, healthy food, gym etc. Where on the full suite the cash back on life insurance, drive etc. kicks in.

Personally I'm only on active for now to check everything out.

Charlesjjm

Whats the difference between Vitality and Vitality Active? I'm starting a new job and I see that Vitality is R290 and Vitality Active is R89.

I'm either a horrible googler or I can't find any info on this online?
Vitality Active is a scaled down version. You pay less so you get less rewards:
1631106928595.png

Charlesjjm

This is also how I understand it, you can only do Active for R89 or the full suite for R299.
Obviously on Active you can only get active rewards for fitness, healthy food, gym etc. Where on the full suite the cash back on life insurance, drive etc. kicks in.

Personally I'm only on active for now to check everything out.
Vitality active is a scaled down version of the Main Vitality.

Vitality drive and Vitality money are seperate and you pay seperately for each product. There is no suite that combines them all into one.

mjzar

Are there any points on offer for Vitality Home, I see it when logging in to the website, looks like it's videos on fitness, cooking, mental health etc. that you can watch.

Also how does the mental wellbeing goal work, I see the Health app on my iPhone also have a mindfullness thing, but I have no idea how it works or how to get points.
For Vitality Home only the online workouts count, earn 50 points when logged into a workout partner.

Complete all six assessments for Mental Wellbeing programme and get 500 points, twice a year every six months.
Here's the link must be logged in
Mental Well-being Assessments - Discovery

bigboy529

Expert Member
A question on the health check, somewhere I read that you can do health checks 90 days apart and then if you could improve things in those 90 days, you'll get awarded the points for the higher one of the 2 checkups.
I know Discovery medical aid covers one health check per year, but if not covered say you want to go for a second one, what does it cost?

Also does the Vitality year run the same as the medical aid year, January to December? If so and I do a health check now, and then again in January, will it count as my 2021 health check and then 2022 health check, or will they give me the best results out of the 2?

Reason for asking this, I'm not very healthy right now in terms of weight / BMI, I also know my cholesterol and probably a few other things isn't what it's supposed to be, I had blood work done in August.
I'm wondering if I should go for a health check now in which I'll do badly, or whether I should wait till say January. I'm getting a bit of exercise and healthy eating going again all motivated by Vitality, so I'm sure in a couple of months I'll do better in a health check.

bigboy529

Expert Member
another one, if you already reached your health goal for the week, do you receive any further points for exercise during the week for example if I do another 30 minutes, or walk 5k steps tomorrow?

Charlesjjm

A question on the health check, somewhere I read that you can do health checks 90 days apart and then if you could improve things in those 90 days, you'll get awarded the points for the higher one of the 2 checkups.
I know Discovery medical aid covers one health check per year, but if not covered say you want to go for a second one, what does it cost?

Also does the Vitality year run the same as the medical aid year, January to December? If so and I do a health check now, and then again in January, will it count as my 2021 health check and then 2022 health check, or will they give me the best results out of the 2?

Reason for asking this, I'm not very healthy right now in terms of weight / BMI, I also know my cholesterol and probably a few other things isn't what it's supposed to be, I had blood work done in August.
I'm wondering if I should go for a health check now in which I'll do badly, or whether I should wait till say January. I'm getting a bit of exercise and healthy eating going again all motivated by Vitality, so I'm sure in a couple of months I'll do better in a health check.
1. I think you get 2 health checks per year. If not, the 'charge' for me in January was R771.
2. Yes. If you do a health check now, and the results are better, you get the extra points. Everything resets on 31 December 2021 at midnight. In January you can do a health check again and that will determine the points for the new year.

Charlesjjm

another one, if you already reached your health goal for the week, do you receive any further points for exercise during the week for example if I do another 30 minutes, or walk 5k steps tomorrow?
Yes, it does. At some point when you reach the caps for the various groups, points won't count towards your status, Blue, Gold, Diamond, but it will still count towards the weekly Active Rewards goal.

PotatoGuardian

Has anyone tried to belong to more than one gym at once and get the discount for both e.g. Ignite and Virgin Active

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master
did anyone see any fine print on this scaled down version coupled with the pre-2010 "free" gym?
It would be interesting to know the answer to this. I can only imagine any fiddling with Vitality membership will put that benefit in jeopardy.

Tinuva

The Magician
The top vitality tier is still cheaper than a gym membership, so if you have the pre-2010 version and you still use the gym, its most definitely worth just keeping it active and paying the normal vitality fee only.

Charlesjjm

Has anyone tried to belong to more than one gym at once and get the discount for both e.g. Ignite and Virgin Active
You can join as many gyms as you like, but you'll only get discount for one. And the choice is between Virgin Active and Planet Fitness.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Where do I see what my weekly cap is for exercise points?
Most documentation states that the weekly points cap is 600 so I assume that's what mine is as well, but I read of some people with a weekly cap of 900.

I can't see it anywhere in the app, I see my goals, but don't see that I for example now have a total of 500 points for the week out of a possible 600.

Charlesjjm

The weekly goal has been capped at 600 points. For now. The only other cap that exists is the yearly points, which is 30,000.

The theoretical cap is 2,100. 300 points per day x 7. But if you take part in special events, you can get more than this.