Discovery Vitality 2021

bigboy529

Expert Member
Basic stuff to test flexibility and strength. Lots of emphasis on good form. Squats, lunges, pushups, flexibility and balance tests, and a six-minute walk/cycle. Nothing too heavy and no high reps - I was very untrained when I went last year and I aced it.

Might be worthwhile to call a biokineticist and see if they have a different approach for the blind.

Nah I'll just go for it, sounds like it will be no problem. Floor / matt exercises is fine and so is normal machines like bikes, treadmills and rowing. As long as they don't expect of me to do crazy stuff like walk across a balance beam or test hand eye coordination.

BTW Obese, super unfit, 125 kg me thought exercise at 80 to 89% HR will be impossible when I started with this Vitality journey just a couple weeks ago. My 80% HR is 150 BPM, today I was above that for at least half of my 34 minute cycle, so now I know it's very much possible.

Last edited:

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Nah I'll just go for it, sounds like it will be no problem. Floor / matt exercises is fine and so is normal machines like bikes, treadmills and rowing. As long as they don't expect of me to do crazy stuff like walk across a balance beam or test hand eye coordination.

BTW Obese, super unfit, 125 kg me thought exercise at 80 to 89% HR will be impossible when I started with this Vitality journey just a couple weeks ago. My 80% HR is 150 BPM, today I was above that for at least half of my 34 minute cycle, so now I know it's very much possible.
Nice one bruv, good to hear that you making progress. Keep it up!

Reactions: 3WA

bigboy529

Expert Member
Nice one bruv, good to hear that you making progress. Keep it up!

Thanks, my main reason for Vitality is motivation to lose weight, rewards and things is only secondary.

I'm going for my health assessment in the next week or so even though I'll dismally fail most of the tests, but one has to start somewhere. Think I might as well add the fitness assessment as well to see if I can score a couple extra points while at it.

AlmightyBender

Executive Member
Thanks, my main reason for Vitality is motivation to lose weight, rewards and things is only secondary.

I'm going for my health assessment in the next week or so even though I'll dismally fail most of the tests, but one has to start somewhere. Think I might as well add the fitness assessment as well to see if I can score a couple extra points while at it.
100% dude I fully agree. I'm on the same path and I'm 25kg down already in the last year.

I find Vitality to be a great framework with just enough gamification to be effective for people like us aka the average Joe who isn't an athlete. You also can't manage what you don't measure and Vitality gives you the key metrics you need to focus on.

If I can do it, you can do it so klap it!

StrontiumDog

Honorary Master

Why not get as fit as you can and then only go for the test early December? In the time that remains this year you can only do the test once, so rather get max points (as far as the limits of your own fitness is concerned), just a suggestion. One can't fail the test, you just get minimum Vitality points.

bigboy529

Expert Member
I went for my health assessment at the Discovery store today, also did the HIV test while at it.

As expected my BMI is way out of range, the lady commented that a guy like me with a big bone structure will never be able to get within their target of 65 to 85 kg, that Discovery should actually make provision for people with different builds, she said a good weight for me will be around 100 kg, I'm currently just over 125.

My blood pressure was also not in range, the first time she took it, it was 150 over 110 which is super high, but I told her my blood pressure is usually good, I just took it this past weekend and it was in spec. She said it's probably stress and could also be the covid vaccine I had this morning, that we'll take it again later. A while later when we took it again it came down to 134 over 90 which is still too high, but I just left it there, if I waited 10 or so minutes longer it would have been in spec.
I just took it at home now, 122 over 86 which is almost perfect.

I'm always stressed when going to the doctor because I don't like drawing blood, my GP knows this by now and takes my blood pressure 3 or 4 times over 20 - 30 minutes.

I'm on bronze now, just over 5000 points to get to silver, I'm going to try get to silver by the end of this month with exercise points only.

3WA

Honorary Master
the lady commented that a guy like me with a big bone structure will never be able to get within their target of 65 to 85 kg, that Discovery should actually make provision for people with different builds, she said a good weight for me will be around 100 kg, I'm currently just over 125.

I think they give you a concession if your weight is out of range but your waist measurement is within range. For example, my target weight is 83kg and my actual weight is 89kg. I could get to 83kg, but I'd probably lose a fair amount of muscle.

I count as having all my VHC indicators in range because my girth is okay.
00840967-264B-4355-9B25-1EE05F5571A9.jpeg

ADB221E6-AFF5-413B-AC62-A0C61353A36F.jpeg

bigboy529

Expert Member
I think they give you a concession if your weight is out of range but your waist measurement is within range. For example, my target weight is 83kg and my actual weight is 89kg. I could get to 83kg, but I'd probably lose a fair amount of muscle.

I count as having all my VHC indicators in range because my girth is okay.
View attachment 1159470

View attachment 1159472

Will see how it goes, I have a very far way to go even for that. I just wanted to get the health assessment done to get a starting point to compare to in future, I didn't even do it for the points, I expected almost no points.

3WA

Honorary Master
Will see how it goes, I have a very far way to go even for that. I just wanted to get the health assessment done to get a starting point to compare to in future, I didn't even do it for the points, I expected almost no points.

Fair enough, redo the tests as soon as you get those numbers in range! Nothing better than a big reward at Pick n Pay!

James 77

Does anyone know what the maximum weekly points goal/target is for vitality drive at the moment ?

bigboy529

Expert Member
Are there any point or mile bonuses for consecutive health goal weeks, or is the consecutive week purely a personal thing?

Charlesjjm

Are there any point or mile bonuses for consecutive health goal weeks, or is the consecutive week purely a personal thing?
It's purely personal. But every few hundred weeks you'll get an email from the CEO congratulating you on this remarkable accomplishment. So there's that.

3WA

Honorary Master
Yuppiechef and PnP both checked in to remind me that it’s Miles D-Day.

No purchases from me this month. I’m saving up for next month.

bigboy529

Expert Member
Is Healthy Dining buying certain food on Uber Eats etc. available on Vitality Active or only on full Vitality?
I'm only on active and can't see a option to activate it anywhere on the app.

Charlesjjm

Is Healthy Dining buying certain food on Uber Eats etc. available on Vitality Active or only on full Vitality?
I'm only on active and can't see a option to activate it anywhere on the app.

IMG_4789.jpg
Check if you can see the Healthy Dining tab. If not, then it may not be available on your version of Vitality.

8BitLife

I haven't delved too much into the benefits of Vitality. Mostly got it because of the massive discount it gets me at the gym. But can someone explain to me what are the benefits of going up to bronze, silver, etc? Last year it meant getting a bigger discount when spending your miles. I think 5% at blue, 10% at bronze, 15% at silver and so on.

But this year you just get a 5% discount regardless of your level and instead get bigger discounts if you have other Discovery products like a Discovery Bank account (an additional 5%) and car insurance (an additional 5%) etc. So what is the point of going up in Vitality health levels? What are the benefits?