do you donate blood?

RedViking

Honorary Master
If they want to encourage donations, and the government cares just a little bit (pffft....) give everyone that donates a 10% tax discount.

/continues dreaming

Currantly

I've donated 20+ pints over the years, but have pretty much stopped now due to the distress of thinking that my blood may be given to someone who doesn't want me in the country.

KT-B

Honorary Master
@cool_gi you are right - donors don't get discounts. Blood transfusions cost the same for donors as well as non donors. But at least there will be blood if people donate.

I do donate - unless I have had a cold and been on antibiotics - or had migraines and taken meds. They need the blood to be able to clot and painkillers sometimes prevent that. I really want a tattoo but then I won't be able to donate for about 6 months I believe.... Sigh.

Considering doing the platelet thing.

cool_gi

@cool_gi you are right - donors don't get discounts. Blood transfusions cost the same for donors as well as non donors. But at least there will be blood if people donate.

I do donate - unless I have had a cold and been on antibiotics - or had migraines and taken meds. They need the blood to be able to clot and painkillers sometimes prevent that. I really want a tattoo but then I won't be able to donate for about 6 months I believe.... Sigh.

who else here has done the platelet donation. have been considering this myself.. sometimes with too much donations my iron levels drop. then have to stop for a while

joker08

In India when a patient needs blood say 200ml the hospital gives u an option, either pay or arrange for 400ml of blood donation.

KT-B

Honorary Master
In India when a patient needs blood say 200ml the hospital gives u an option, either pay or arrange for 400ml of blood donation.
That's very clever - bring someone with you willing to donate - and the hospital keeps half.

ArtyLoop

Expert Member

I'd recommend getting that tattoo though :)

If one has a relative in hospital who needs a donation, can that be arranged directly? I have wondered about this in the past, my grandfather was losing a lot of blood in his last weeks. I wondered whether or not I would be able to donate directly, since I am O-, but his condition deteriorated so quickly so I never actually got to ask the question.

requiem

Expert Member
I used to donate.

However the blood bank makes it difficult these days.

They are only open during office hours and for 2 odd hours on a saturday morning.

If they really wanted people to donate they should make it easy for us and not require us to take time off work to do it.