Do you think Eskom will improve under its new CEO?

Do you think Eskom will improve under its new CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 167 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 219 56.7%

• Total voters

newby_investor

Expert Member
I mean it's coming from a pretty low place so some improvement shouldn't be too hard.

The load-shedding the past couple of weeks seems to have worked its magic, their "unplanned outages" are down to about 10GW instead of the ~14GW or so that we've gotten used to. So that already seems to be an improvement.

MEIOT

Expert Member
Eskom has reached a point of no return - the current model is no longer sustainable. Just too bad people making decisions haven't realized this. Oh well, they will.....it's inevitable.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I think yes, the ongoing load-shedding, regular releases, and discussions, seem positive. Whether the government will let him do his job, the same as SAA BRP is a different question.

It's only been a month but the focus on repairs and maintenance is a good start as well as discussion around the procurement contracts. He's doing exactly what he should be, analyze the issue macroscopically and look for the biggest wins in the shortest time: maintenance and procurement are it and well within his purview. Also, a better sell to hold corruption accountable vs layoffs but that reality will bite sooner or later.

Zen17h

While I doubt ANYONE could really save them without complete liquidation and restructuring from the ground up, at least they are seemingly finally being slightly smarter and doing maintenance during quiet times.
Hence load shedding overnight and weekends instead of just during peak times

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Unless the unions and their puppet government allow him to make real changes, no.

Eskom is a failed business and no tangible changes have been made. Nowhere on earth in the private sector does a failing business - if it wants to survive - continue to operate without making wholesale changes to the way it functions and is structured.

What they're doing is applying a fresh coat of paint to load-bearing wall that is about to collapse.

lkswan747

Expert Member
Absolutely not! He has been set up for failure, there is to much money to be diddled. This is especially true if Escum gets their proposed increase in tarrifs.

Mr Smooth

What surprises me is that this whole loadshedding fiasco came around 2008 or thereabouts. They've had the better part of 12 years to fix, repair, replace and instead of improving they've regressed to a point whereby they clutching on straws and leaving the country on its knees.
Boggles the mind!!:rolleyes:

rietrot

Honorary Master
We have no choice, but to safe eskom. So even if it takes more bailouts it will happen.

Worse case scenario is probably just more load shedding.

The ANC knows this.