Do you think SAA should be rescued?

• Yes

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 207 96.7%

• Total voters

lkswan747

Expert Member
No, our valuable tax monies have been used and still they battle. Money for jam, KFC et al........
Get rid of them!

Brian_G

Expert Member
Who's ever heard of a top-20 international country without its own carrier - but it's got to make sense, and the process kept transparent.

SAA for all of its past glory in opening up the airways to international travelers across Africa and the world only to be totally missed managed by under qualified management bent on getting rich quickly should not be so called recused. Sufficient money has already been spent in the attempt to make a dead donkey get up and walk.
The finances pumped into SAA to date would have be enough to purchase many modern airliners, thus establishing a functional company, with perhaps, some National pride..
Pull the plug now, do not wait..............

SAguy

Expert Member
Nope, but I'm no economist so maybe their is some greater reason for why it should be saved?
Sad that many hard working people will lose jobs however

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Nope, but I'm no economist so maybe their is some greater reason for why it should be saved?
The way I understand it, government is responsible for the debt. If SAA goes bang then that debt is immediately callable and as we know, our fiscus is stretched wafer thin.

Letting SAA go will be extremely painful (financially), but keeping it going as is is a drain all of its own. The rot has already spread, but you can still save most of the the leg by amputating the foot.

Sad that many hard working people will lose jobs however.
It is sad, but there is a bigger picture. Sustaining these failed SOEs to preserve a few thousand jobs is choking the lives out of millions of South Africans. We just cannot go on like this anymore. We cannot protect employees at SOEs while the rest of the country suffers.

Last edited:

Brian_G

Expert Member
Bottom line - they're not going to toss it, so wrong forum question...

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
It can't be rescued. Everyone can see this except the ANC. They fly to all these tom dick and harry African destinations and you are telling me it is profitable to have offices, infrastructure and staff stationed all over Africa to service one flight a day?

The confidence in the airline and the "brand" is long gone. Planes are flying empty. Business people will not stake their jobs on booking flights that may never happen.

Even if it can be cut down operationally (as has been announced recently), it will only "minimise the losses". What pathetic airline only flies to a few cherry picked destinations? I thought this was all about national pride and connecting SA to the world, because without SAA we would be isolated in darkest Southern Africa with no way to leave the country (/sarcasm).

Even if it could become profitable (which it can't with the current routes and planes), how many decades will it take to pay back the R50bn in losses accrued in the past 15 years?

The only reason they have to keep it flying is to minimise the amount of Billions they need to find to bail it out over the coming years.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
If the government and the unions shut up and let the BRP do their job properly, there is a chance it could be rescued...

But, the only state of rescue that is acceptable from now on, is a fully self-sustaining entity that needs zero tax money injections to remain profitable. If at any point it gets to needing a bailout to stay operation, it should be shut down.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Who's ever heard of a top-20 international country without its own carrier - but it's got to make sense, and the process kept transparent.
Sure, we can keep the national carrier but it should not be in the hands of the government.

Stokstert

Executive Member
Only an ignorant troll or complicit cadre would vote yes
I didn't vote yes, but why don't you allow anyone a different view than yours without belittling him and call him an ignorant troll or complicit cadre?

Stokstert

Executive Member
No, because if it gets rescued and handed back to the government, looting will start again on a big scale.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
SAA has been bailed out and rescued so that the looting of the SOE can continue by the ANC. The ANC also got it into the state that SAA finds itself in; how can anyone possibly expect it to be rescued by the very party that is destroying it?

Voicy

Honorary Master
Meh. The last time I flew SAA the flight was delayed by 6hrs and if it were 10mins longer I would've missed my 3 connecting flights back to Norway.

Phanzi SAA Phanzi! :mad:

EDIT: But that's besides the point. It's quite clear that the SAA Operations makes zero business sense...it's being kept afloat by taxpayer money purely for political reasons. There's no reason why a STATE should own an airline. Let the market decide.