Do you think SAA should be rescued?

• Yes

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 207 96.7%

• Total voters

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The tax payer has paid enough towards poor management that will never recover and fraud
Then vote correctly! Stop voting out of fear or some or other emotional issue you have or had with the previous regime and vote because the party you choose will do something for the country.
Or are you scared to admit that so far the ANC is completely incompetent at running a country and has served its purposes as a revolutionary movement?

Last edited:

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
Then vote correctly! Stop voting out of fear or some or other emotional issue you have or had with the previous regime and vote because the party you choose will do something for the country.
Or are you scared to admit that so far the ANC is completely incompetent at running a country and has served ist purposes as a revolutionary movement?
This. So. much. this.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
South African Airways is the state-owned flag carrier of South Africa. Headquartered in Airways Park at O.R Tambo International Airport, the airline operates a hub-and-spoke network,
South African Express Airways SOC Ltd, known as South African Express or simply SA Express, is a state-owned airline based in South Africa that started operations on 24 April 1994. Wikipedia
Mango Airlines SOC Ltd, trading as Mango, is a South African low-cost airline based at the OR Tambo International Airport, and a subsidiary of South African Airways. Wikipedia
SA Airlink Ltd., known and trading simply as Airlink, is a regional airline based in Johannesburg, South Africa. It is privately owned, and its main activity is to act as a feeder airline between small towns and larger hub airports. Wikipedia
SAFAIR is an aviation company based at the O.R. Tambo International Airport in Kempton Park, South Africa.[1] Operator of one of the world's largest fleets of civil Lockheed L-100 Hercules cargo aircraft,[2] it also conducts aircraft chartering; leasing and sales; contract operations and leasing services; flightcrew leasing and training; aircraft maintenance and modification; aviation safety and medical training; and operations support.[3]
Safair is wholly owned by ASL Aviation Group Ltd based in Dublin,

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nope.

Just because it already exists doesn’t mean we need it or that it should keep on existing.

Unless it can stand on its own two feet without external support it must go like any other business would that isn’t performing.

Stokstert

Executive Member
ok, I was a bit harsh with my reply but I honestly do not see how SAA can be rescued in any possible way that will not cost us another umpteen billion.
Please enlighten me how this sunken ship can be raised?
If I had known how to rescue SAA, I would be part of the rescue team and not on MyBB getting ridiculed by people like you.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
This means that what should happen is all three owned by the state need to consolidate their business plans and just get it over with.

Let the BRP guys table their proposals which are hinting at letting Mango handle National, SAA do International and maybe some Regional or let SA Express handle regional.

The passengers are not going evaporate at the end of the month -- they need to go somewhere. It might as well be to SA Express and Mango. The problem is not and probably never has been at the operational level. All at bloated management structures. Hence why the Unions are upset. Kick management out don't kill the business.

Last edited:

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If I had known how to rescue SAA, I would be part of the rescue team and not on MyBB getting ridiculed by people like you.
Exactly, Vote and if you want to state why. Leave the ridicule of others' views and opinions out of it.

The_Librarian

Another MyBB
Super Moderator
It is sad, but there is a bigger picture. Sustaining these failed SOEs to preserve a few thousand jobs is choking the lives out of millions of South Africans. We just cannot go on like this anymore. We cannot protect employees at SOEs while the rest of the country suffers.
Also this. The country will have to come first, SoE's will have to pull the short end of the stick and go under if they cannot perform in a financially-wise way, we cannot support these any longer.

If a private business/enterprise fail due to mismanagement and incompetence, and hundreds of people will lose their jobs, will the State bail it out? Nope. So what's good for the goose is also good for the gander.

Deandbn

There are multiple other domestic airlines that run profitably in SA that are capable of serving domestic routes, and multiple other international airlines capable of serving international routes so considering that SAA and its subsidiaries are bankrupt they should be closed down without further ado or bailouts.

Brian_G

Expert Member
I have heard of the USA and Japan... What was your point?
In reply to you and others re this point; USA - they had AA (American Airlines), perhaps they're an exception now due to the tons of competition there, much more than anywhere else. Japan - they have...JAL
Anyway it works for a variety of reasons and is still needed, usually economically essential. Nothing to do with any "modern era" (an always overused excuse, for centuries :p ) and how much is private or not isn't the point.
Certainly agree that it can't be the gubberment's tool. And nobody is saying they aren't responsible.

lowriderza

Expert Member
It's not really a question that can be answered with a simple yes or no in my humble opinion. The thing is there are bits and pieces of it that is actually profitable like their Cargo division. Said Cargo division are the only affordable option to many of the smaller cities in SA.

But I do admit that they seem to be vastly overstaffed and the thought that those over payed politicians gets free flights while the country burns just doesn't sit right with me.

OCP

Expert Member
Dude, I am trying really hard to understand why you want to give the ANC another X billion of *OUR* tax money to "rescue" the trainwreck that is SAA.....

If they were to privatize it and take their dirty paws of it permanently, then yes... there might be a case but we all know that will never happen :-(

OCP

Expert Member
Or are you scared to admit that so far the ANC is completely incompetent at running a country and has served its purposes as a revolutionary movement?
I have absolutely no fear to say that ^^^ is EXACTLY what I think about the ANC.

To add, I have ZERO faith in the ANC changing, putting the country and it's citizens first (instead of the party) and make the difficult decisions needed to turn the economy around.
If they remain in power we will have exactly the same as we have now, nepotism, uncontrolled looting, corruption, incompetency without accountability or repercussions for the cadres.

Nemesys

Why must my tax money go to a loss making bankrupt entity. Close it down
Someone with business seance will quickly fill the gap

koeks525

Expert Member
SAA, and the many other state entities need to operate as 100% private entities. No point fixing it up when the same plague that destroyed it will return once there's more gravy.

Flamer283

Yes but for my family's own gain, My dad is a cargo agent at SAA and my family relies on his salary, so with all the news coming out now its scary because we don't know what to expect and just pray for the best.

Ryansr

Expert Member
I did vote but also feel the need to also post a reply saying No.