Do you think SAA should be rescued?

• Yes

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • No

Votes: 207 96.7%

• Total voters

Bernie

Expert Member
If it can be rescued to the point of where it is somewhat attractive to another operator then let them do it, and if it keeps the brand in the air all the better. But in order to do that the government will need to change their ideological hangups about privatisation etc. In either case SAA needs to be removed from the tax payers burden, sell it or close it.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Who's ever heard of a top-20 international country without its own carrier - but it's got to make sense, and the process kept transparent.
The difference being that of the top 20 international countries (the USA doesn't have a flag carrier btw) they all seem to be privately owned or majority privately held.

This bollocks about a state-owned flag carrier is backwards these days.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Only an ignorant troll or complicit cadre would vote yes
I didn't vote yes, but why don't you allow anyone a different view than yours without belittling him and call him an ignorant troll or complicit cadre?
Because, the Sheeple and arrogant bullies on myBB do not know how to think for themselves or behave in a civil manner. This country needs to be economically viable, and it is not going to ever get into that league again by reacting to corruption by simply abandoning everything tainted by the ANC. And increasing joblessness. This is a recipe for disaster. We need to keep industries going and the aviation industry is one of them. Even if it means very large scale service reductions in the short term.

Fix what is broken don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
who are the 2.8% voters that voted Yes?
Are you in government and fly for free?
well guess what?
your flying for free from my tax money days are coming to and end
/spit

Voicy

Honorary Master
The difference being that of the top 20 international countries (the USA doesn't have a flag carrier btw) they all seem to be privately owned or majority privately held.

This bollocks about a state-owned flag carrier is backwards these days.
This.

Carriers in Scandanavia e.g. SAS (14% owned by Denmark and Sweden Govs) and Norwegian Air (4th largest low cost and privately owned) are such examples.

The big difference with successful state owned airlines e.g. Qatar and Emirates are strategically placed as international hubs for air traffic across the world. RSA is hardly an international hub or gateway to anywhere.

Take Australia's Qantas Airlines as a perfect example. Australia is a very limited international hub...and the airline, despite being considered as the national carrier, is still privately owned.

OCP

Expert Member
I didn't vote yes, but why don't you allow anyone a different view than yours without belittling him and call him an ignorant troll or complicit cadre?
ok, I was a bit harsh with my reply but I honestly do not see how SAA can be rescued in any possible way that will not cost us another umpteen billion.
Please enlighten me how this sunken ship can be raised?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This.

Carriers in Scandanavia e.g. SAS (14% owned by Denmark and Sweden Govs) and Norwegian Air (4th largest low cost and privately owned) are such examples.

The big difference with successful state owned airlines e.g. Qatar and Emirates are strategically placed as international hubs for air traffic across the world. RSA is hardly an international hub or gateway to anywhere.

Take Australia's Qantas Airlines as a perfect example. Australia is a very limited international hub...and the airline, despite being considered as the national carrier, is still privately owned.
But even Qatar and Emirates, despite being state owned, are run like privately held companies. Emirates makes a profit every year, and it looks like Qatar has its ups and downs, but not to the point that you question its viability as a business.

Keithk

The tax payer has paid enough towards poor management that will never recover and fraud

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
couldn't find the option to vote "F@#$ NO!!!", so went with "No" instead while cursing like a pirate

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Just on the Flag Carrier thing, and all that... Yes Emirates is a major hub, but as an entity they only started in 1985, and look where they are now...

OCP

Expert Member
Because, the Sheeple and arrogant bullies on myBB do not know how to think for themselves or behave in a civil manner. This country needs to be economically viable, and it is not going to ever get into that league again by reacting to corruption by simply abandoning everything tainted by the ANC. And increasing joblessness. This is a recipe for disaster. We need to keep industries going and the aviation industry is one of them. Even if it means very large scale service reductions in the short term.

Fix what is broken don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
I fully agree that this country needs to be economically viable but at what cost to the tax payers?
Unlike Eskom who provides a service that we as a country need to survive economically, the SAA serves no purpose other than for the ANC to launder / steal money at our expense.
The aviation industry will do just fine without SAA hogging all the closest parking bays...