Do you tip petrol attendants?

• Yes

Votes: 373 56.3%
  • No

Votes: 289 43.7%

• Total voters

cr@zydude

Executive Member
NO - and I don't understand why you would!? They get paid a salary for what they do. It's not like waiters at some restaurants who only rely on tips.
Waiters get paid too now, but we still tip.

I'm not a fan of the tipping system but I think that it's how things are done in SA at restaurants and petrol stations.

Cius

Executive Member
I tip if they do additional checks, not if they just full up petrol. Anywhere from 2 to 10 rand depending on how much they did and how quickly.

theratman

Executive Member
If the guy has been cool and helpful I'll tip with what I've got on hand, R5 - R20. Problem is I rarely carry cash these days.

fluiter

If the guy just pumps my fuel no, if i ask him for tyres oil etc then yes, maybe a fiver

royblumenthal

Yes. I tip R10. But every now and again I remember that I intend to tip R20 from now on. That's the "new normal". Tipping someone R10 is kinda like giving someone five cents to buy some bubblegum.

Momz0r

I will only tip if he/she has a good attitude and also do something extra, like washing the windscreen.

3WA

Executive Member
I tip R5 if I have change.

Actually what's up with petrol attendants? Why are they so friendly when virtually every other customer-facing job in South Africa is filled with sociopaths?

jphegers

No. Dont carry cash use debit card.why do you not tip supermarket cashiers and tellers at banks?

rhowes

YES. I tip at least R5 and sometimes up to R100 depending on service.

The only time I don't tip is when I have no cash on me - which has been infrequent since I try and make sure if I fill up I can pay the tip.

I'm amazed at how many people don't tip. For those of us who can fill a tank with fuel a couple of times a month what is a few bucks to a low wage earner? And I challenge you to tip R100 next time and see the gratitude which will tell you exactly how close attendants live to the poverty line (when for most of us we wouldn't miss R100 a couple of times a month if it accidentally disappeared from our bank accounts).

Is MyBroadband going to publish survey results? It should be fascinating.