Do you trust Telkom?

moosag

Expert Member
LoL... Good One... Thanks for the humor on Friday Morning... I needed it..

"Would you trust Telkom with R1.7 Billion" <- RoFLoL... Thanks... Good joke.

War_Lord

Bleugh... I'm glad I'm not with ABSA. I wouldn't trust Telkom with a toenail clipping.

LMAO Well put.

All I can say is I hope ABSA's got an escape clause in that contract. This is VERY expensive, And guess who foots the bill? That's right, the customers. I'm glad I have nothing to do with ABSA.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I trust them to maximise their revenues and profit.
Which is the minimum one can expect from any business enterprise. And indeed their moral obligation to shareholders, and I don't resent them for that (and no, I don't own a single Telkom share).

How one does that over the longer term is of course the issue. In a genuine free and open market they'd have to attract customers through competitive pricing and quality service. The abiding problem is that we have a very restricted telco regime, which uses police power to severely limit competition. This entrenches high prices and poor service.

Here's an old but very interesting BBC report on Africa's freest and best-served country. (Don't get sidelined by the other problems in that country - the point is only that governments always mess things up and always in the name of 'protecting the people' but the people always get a worse deal ... in the above country the government is ineffectual and so service quality and good pricing flourish). The lesson is clear - free things up and consumers get a good deal. The root of our problem is not Telkom - it's the State's protection of Telkom and its banning of real competition. Allowing another player like Neotel simply establishes a duopoly and splits the revenue between two instead of one, but it by no means a free or competitive market makes ... the market is just a regulated and unfree as before.

We will never see real change until we change the political policies behind this reality. With Zuma and his statist populism looming, that's becoming increasingly unlikely, imo.

Wyzak

Expert Member
He says that if you're prepared to pay a team of staff to "just deal with Telkom", you'd be surprised how quickly they provision lines for you.
That sounds an aweful lot like bribing somebody to get something done quicker.... Nice going.

As far trusting Telkom: Hah good one, I trust them almost as much as I trust Absa with my money.

.Froot.

Executive Member
Just because I have a landline doesn't mean I do, or ever will, trust Telkom.

tjunyat

"At least Telkom knows how to fix problems, they've been doing it for years, he says."

This is part of the problem! Instead of continual firefighting, how about putting preventative measures in place so that they didn't have to keep fixing problems?
It's a pity a forward thinking approach by Telkom is completely unlikely.

Tux

Software Communist
I trust telkom as much as I'd trust a catholic priest to give the local boys choir extra, after-hours lessons.