Do you use cloud storage to back up your data?

Do you use cloud storage to back up your data?

• Yes

Votes: 85 70.2%
  • No

Votes: 36 29.8%

• Total voters

garp

Executive Member
Personal docs, photos, etc on OneDrive. All my personal systems are also imaged with Acronis Backup 12.5.

Company stuff is protected with Acronis Data Cloud, their cloud-based platform that supports local, cloud, and hybrid storage. Includes images of important physical and virtual servers. This is serious software for those serious about data protection. Milspec encryption and AI-based anti-ransomware included. Not the cheapest, but when it comes to backups and restores we've got to be sure the stuff works. It does.
Second this, Acronis is definitely killing it in the serious cloud based backup realm. We basically tell our clients now that unless they go this route we're not interested in being responsible for their backups.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I used to use Acronis. TrueImage, if I remember right. It caused massive issues on my system and Acronis Support basically told me I was on my own (nb, paid subscription). So I fired them and I use EaseUS for local backups now.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I used to use Acronis. TrueImage, if I remember right. It caused massive issues on my system and Acronis Support basically told me I was on my own (nb, paid subscription). So I fired them and I use EaseUS for local backups now.
Hehe. Little consumer version is very, very different from the serious corporate stuff. Kinda like Windows 95 compared to Win Server data center. Do yourself a fave and check out the corporate stuff, especially Acronis Backup Cloud (for MSPs).

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Definition of Cloud is "Someone else's computer" so no, you don't have a personal cloud, unless you stole it from someone? :D

ngwe23

Executive Member
Definition of Cloud is "Someone else's computer" so no, you don't have a personal cloud, unless you stole it from someone? :D
No, it's not. Cloud is just a server that is available online. What you are describing is a third-party cloud service, while mine is a private cloud.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Well, since I lost quite a lot of gigs of personal photos, I prefer to rather upload it now to a cloud instead of having my 4 tb drive fail on me. :(

Sinbad

Honorary Master
No, it's not. Cloud is just a server that is available online. What you are describing is a third-party cloud service, while mine is a private cloud.
What kind of server is not available online? I call that a doorstop.

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
My wife has a 1TB HDD in her latop, and a 1TB onedrive account. Needless to say, she went and copied her C: drive to her Onedrive... Despite my best effort and objections. Thank goodness for fibre though.

So the answer to this question is, yes. My family uses cloud backup :)

My main use for the cloud is sharing and accessing information e.g save a book or project on Google Drive to later download and read on my phone or a library computer, as well as to share with a study group.

Backup? Maybe next year...

christoh

Yes, Google drive and Microsoft drive. Only for photos and interesting documents - I have a raid protected copy / copies of everything offline as well