Do you use cloud storage to back up your data?

Do you use cloud storage to back up your data?

• Yes

Votes: 84 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 35 29.4%

• Total voters

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Do you use a cloud storage service to back up your data? Which platform do you use?

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Yes, specially for my phone. Keep no data on my phone, no photos nothing all is cloud storage.
Same goes for important information on the PC

RedViking

Honorary Master
Which online service will send you a physical encrypted hard drive with your data on when it gets corrupted, stolen etc. ?

Having 2TB of data backed up over the years is one thing, trying to retrieve will be another thing.

Last edited:

garp

Executive Member
We use Acronis Cloud Backup - highly recommended. Backups are encrypted, you can restore individual files as well as whole volumes and they even have a VM option so that you can spin up a backup image in the cloud in an emergency, plus the cost doesn't break the bank. I know I sound like a sales rep for them, but I'm not and it's really taken a lot of pain out of our backups and we've had completely successful restores when we've needed them. You can even build your own cloud backup on your own volumes if you don't want to use their hosted cloud.

BTTB

Use the Free MegaSync for photos, documents, invoices etc.

Also have 2 sets of external Raid 1 Harddrivess, one connected to the PC, the other in the safe.
Recently added another harddrive to the Router for basic cloud stuff for the family like movies and some photos, but not Raid 1 so cannot be trusted.

Bought a licence for Acronis, found it a resource hog for my old PC and uninstalled it, however the Acronis Images are safely stored on the HDD and can use the rescue CD to restore my operating system if needed. Found the free version of Macrium Reflect does the same thing and uses little or no resource, don't think there is a cloud option for the free version.

Last edited:

ArtyLoop

Expert Member
Yes and No

Yes- iCloud for stuff on the phone
No- local stuff is on a RAID cluster because of bandwidth issues in this country

bigboy529

Expert Member
Yes, iCloud Drive for all my important stuff including phone, iMac and MacBook Pro.
Used to have Crashplan as well, but when they took away their home offering I reconsidered and cancelled it since all my really important things is with iCloud drive which is anyway quite affordable these days.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No, maybe one day when/if I get fibre but that dog won't hunt with VDSL.

HeftyCrab

Expert Member
Which online service will send you a physical encrypted hard drive with your data on when it gets corrupted, stolen etc. ?

Having 2TB of data backed up over the years is one thing, trying to retrieve will be another thing.
https://www.backblaze.com/restore.html

Not sure if that Fedex is international, but its a start.