Do you use cloud storage to back up your data?

Do you use cloud storage to back up your data?

• Yes

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 29 29.6%

• Total voters

krycor

Honorary Master
iCloud (on the fly, everything, family iCloud is awesome to reduce overall cost but increase size), Google Drive (weekly, everything.. photo's via free limitation tho to keep down volume, can't wait for family packages), full machine backup (monthly, so i can restore machine from scratch.. but lately i've been skimping on this.. wish this was via iCloud like they do iPhone backups)

The sucky thing though is that Google drive should be more ideal as it caters for versioning.. same with MS OneDrive(for office docs) but using a mac in the Apple ecosystem iCloud is convenient.

krycor

Honorary Master
it should be noted that "back up" vs online storage are technically two different things. The fact that e.g. MS OneDrive and Google Drive does versioning occasionally further obfuscates things.

Tp me a backup system means multi-versioned (albeit at some limit) file backup which is performed either on the fly or at a set period which allows for recovery. The latter rules out iCloud as a backup (try restoring something u by mistake deleted and synced the action to the cloud). Something like BackBlaze would be a true online backup service or Apple Time Machine (on a local server).

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Yup.

Google Photos
iCloud
Google Drive
Microsoft OneDrive
Microsoft OneDrive for Business (wish they could just make these two bloody work as one application).

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yes,
Google Drive for documents and odds and ends
Youtube for videos
Google photos for photos
Google Music for unreleased music
Google books for ebooks from Kobo and Amazon store
Gmail for mails
Chrome sync for bookmarks and passwords (backup for lastpass).

Swa

Honorary Master
it should be noted that "back up" vs online storage are technically two different things. The fact that e.g. MS OneDrive and Google Drive does versioning occasionally further obfuscates things.

Tp me a backup system means multi-versioned (albeit at some limit) file backup which is performed either on the fly or at a set period which allows for recovery. The latter rules out iCloud as a backup (try restoring something u by mistake deleted and synced the action to the cloud). Something like BackBlaze would be a true online backup service or Apple Time Machine (on a local server).
True. Online storage has no guarantee of recovery.

krycor

Honorary Master
Yes,
Google Drive for documents and odds and ends
Youtube for videos
Google photos for photos
Google Music for unreleased music
Google books for ebooks from Kobo and Amazon store
Gmail for mails
Chrome sync for bookmarks and passwords (backup for lastpass).
I hope for your sake you back up your google data.. if for whatever reason your account is blocked like mine was because someone claimed I was spamming (no proof so got it back 6 months later) then you will lose access to EVERYTHING.

And it will only be unblocked when someone with the appropriate clearance can clear the infraction. During this time you continue to pay for your subscriptions with no access and all support will tell you they can do nothing.

If you don’t use multi-platforms to back up you taking this risk

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I hope for your sake you back up your google data.. if for whatever reason your account is blocked like mine was because someone claimed I was spamming (no proof so got it back 6 months later) then you will lose access to EVERYTHING.

And it will only be unblocked when someone with the appropriate clearance can clear the infraction. During this time you continue to pay for your subscriptions with no access and all support will tell you they can do nothing.

If you don’t use multi-platforms to back up you taking this risk
Not really scared. Turned it into a US account before and got a Google voice number.

Swa

Honorary Master
No, it's not. Cloud is just a server that is available online. What you are describing is a third-party cloud service, while mine is a private cloud.
Incorrect. Many companies are misusing the term for marketing hype but it's actually multiple distributed servers with their resources pooled for immediate allocation rather than being provisioned with demand.

Over-Dose

I store anything that I don’t consider sensitive information on the cloud, just for ease of access to it.

Other stuff stays on a physical hard drive which remains in one location and also offline.