DSL line down due to theft - need alternatives

Kwandao

Apologies if this has been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum, I'm unable to search thoroughly at the moment as my internet is severely restricted.

I lost connectivity three months ago due to cable theft, and after much pleading Telkom finally admitted that they have no intention of replacing the stolen lines and instead plan on "upgrading" us to W-CDMA. From what I understand, this means we'll be connected to the internet via HSDPA - which is a massive problem as I use close to 20GB bandwidth per month and I can't afford the exorbitant rates (R1500 for 10GB?!). Additionally, the service hasn't yet been implemented in our area and we've been told that it may be several weeks before we can start using it.

I could care less about mobility as I browse the internet from a desktop, and it's unfortunately very difficult for me to cut back... What are my options?

Burny1

You can request a Wimax link from Telkom. They normally install it where they cannot supply you with a cable solution. The other option is to go to IBurst or IS and request Wimax from them. I think MWeb also has that option available. Not sure what the costs are, however i do know that the Telkom option is the same cost as their ADSL service except you have to use them as your ISP as well.

Kwandao

Thank you! Much appreciated, I'll look into all those offering the service.