DStv Explora decoder details revealed

Budza

Executive Member
Have they enabled the USB ports on existing decoders?

All that potential going to waste...

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Any reason why the Internet feature is disabled?

Except for the bigger hard drive, what will the motivation then be to get the new decoder?

Historically Multichoice has been very slow on the software development side, so it could be a long wait before that feature is enabled.

Last edited:

Dolby

Honorary Master
Pricing and other details of DStv’s new Internet-capable decoder has begun to emerge

HDMI output
RCA audio/video ports
RF in & out (used for XtraView or TV Link)
Digital audio output
Ethernet port – disabled at launch
USB ports – for future use

May as well not even mention anything to do with the Internet - simply the new PVR

Roadrunner

Expert Member
Have they enabled the USB ports on existing decoders?

All that potential going to waste...
I would not keep my fingers crossed for that one.

As I understand it, they are not allowed to enable it by the content providers, due to all the rampant piracy in sub-Saharan Africa.

DJ...

Banned
Any reason why the Internet feature is disabled?

Except for the bigger hard drive, what will the motivation then be to get the new decoder?

Historically Multichoice has been very slow on the software development side, so it could be a long wait before that feature is enabled.
The new software has been in development for quite some time now already. Being built in the UK...

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Well, no surprise really. Actually I'd be very surprised if they ever activate the Ethernet and USB ports

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
R2500 for a decoder with a bigger drive (for the moment)?!?1

If it was R1500 or R1600, then I would have considered maybe upgrading.. but R2500.. no thanks to much money for something that isn't really any better (on paper) than what I currently have.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
R2500 for a decoder with a bigger drive (for the moment)?!?1

If it was R1500 or R1600, then I would have considered maybe upgrading.. but R2500.. no thanks to much money for something that isn't really any better (on paper) than what I currently have.
I'd say its actually worse than the current 2P as most of the 2P's bugs have been ironed out.

With this thing you'll pay 2.5k for something that (if history is anything to go by) will be a bugfest!

Allin

Expert Member
Does the remote works if pointed 10 degrees away from the decoder?

Syphonx

Expert Member
Surely if they advertise it as an internet capable device but the LAN port is disabled that is false advertising? Someone care to lodge a complaint with ASASA or whoever?

Roadrunner

Expert Member
It just dawned on me that it doesn't have WiFi - unless they plan to use the USB port for that later with an optional WiFi dongle.

How many people would be willing to run a LAN cable through their house to the ADSL router?

Anyone remember the blue dial-up modem and wireless keyboard they previously tried several years ago?

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I would not keep my fingers crossed for that one.

As I understand it, they are not allowed to enable it by the content providers, due to all the rampant piracy in sub-Saharan Africa.
But they let them enable it in America where all the content is aired first and the major origin of all piracy.

Roadrunner

Expert Member
But they let them enable it in America where all the content is aired first and the major origin of all piracy.
What can I say.

Everything that filters through to us from a 1st-world country has been intentionally handicapped in some way.

spiff

Executive Member
Ethernet port – disabled at launch

I think they are going to charge us an additional subscription in order to enable this feature regardless of your dstv subs?!

madlala

***Dissapointment** no news from MC is good news, cause when ever they make an announcement towards new decoders... There is 1% good ad 99% dissapointments.

I wouldn't consider upgrading while the monster 4T & 2P decoder barely do the minimum work without constant reboots and many bugs which they still trying to perfect.

Totempole

Expert Member
Yet another slap in the face for all you loyal DSTV subscribers. :D
Courtesy of Nationale Pers.

Vice

Expert Member
What a F>k is so secretive about this so called new decoder? It doesn't come with Internet and 1080p HD! Boring!!!! Somebody wake me up with the next iteration:twisted:

Louis72

That remote :sick:
much prefer the A4 Remote in terms of looks.
and R2500 for a bigger harddrive a ugly remote and no built in Wi-Fi !???

i guess the only thing that might be attractive is the new software and hopefully some new features that will at least bring us on par with other countries.