DStv Explora getting ShowMax

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
This is actually quite an intelligent move from Multichoice if you ask me.

Necropolis

Executive Member
I wonder if you need an active DSTV subscription to access showmax via the explora?

Leftfoot

Expert Member
Anyone who didnt see this coming was surely living in denial....
Right there the reason when I quit DSTV I opted not to go Showmax.....Same damn circus, different tent!

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Right there the reason when I quit DSTV I opted not to go Showmax.....Same damn circus, different tent!
Different toilet, same *****. But if they provide a great service at a good price then you pnly shooting yourself in the foot. Personally I'm waiting for them to add 1080p content atleast.

TrueCartman

I literally googled if this is possible 15 min before this was posted up.

Now I'm torn..Will have to check the interface. I have a smart TV and feel like I should use that as well to watch showmax..since I bought it for exactly that reason... :D

Forza

Next will be only for Premium

^^ They also play this same tune. Initially make it available to all packages then later only to Premium subscribers.

I don't believe they will allow it without having an active subscription

LCBXX

Honorary Master
R844 for DStv Premium & PVR Sub plus another R99 for Showmax plus Rxxx for an Internet connection? Ouch.

Skerminkel

Expert Member

Naspers' decision to start Showmax as a separate company to MC seemed to indicate otherwise.

I wonder if you need an active DSTV subscription to access showmax via the explora?

I doubt if MC will undercut their own business model quite yet. A Chromecast is half the price of an Explora anyway.

K.J

So can you not have an active DSTV subscription, but still connect via & use the decoder for ShowMax?

Forza

R844 for DStv Premium & PVR Sub plus another R99 for Showmax plus Rxxx for an Internet connection? Ouch.

You would be surprised as to how many people is currently doing this and paying quite a bit for all of this. So would probably be beneficial to those that wish not part with their Premium subscription.

Dr Who

Very happy about this Explora is linked to surround sound and chromecast is not.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master

i was going to post the exact same thing now. So you have to pay DSTV subs, plus Showmax R99 and your Internet connection of x amount. If that is how it is, then its just silly to pay that for tv

Kingofmybbknowitalls

Last edited: