DStv Flex - MultiChoice's plan for a configurable DStv Premium service

G.A.S

I don't watch DStv ... but this sounds too "good" to be true - there must be another catch. IWBIWISI.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Back to sport.

1. Rugby
2. Cricket
3. Golf
4. Tennis
5. Motorsport
6a-d. Variety 1-4
7. Action
8. ESPN 2
@ extra R349 pm
Nope. Rather;
Choice of 1 or 2
Two of 3, 4 and 5
Don't need the 6's or 7 or 8
For that may pay extra R225, if 1 AND 2 then maybe worth R275.

Yes?
Forgot that they should include 201 Grandstand, only when it applies to your sport choices, else there's an overflow problem with for eg. two concurrent important cricket matches.

j4ck455

Executive Member
MultiChoice is currently gauging interest in a new DStv Flex option that will see subscribers paying a compulsory R299 per month for an Entertainment Pack, including 67 DStv Premium channels.
Entertainment pack you say, for R300 a month you say?

I don't know for sure but I suspect that a once-off payment of R300 will cover the cost of a blowup doll similar to the used one that MonoChoice is renting out in that compulsory entertainment pack.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
OTloVP_igyeQN_eEsrBG08ccTfl0QpW-bjo8SUaNYio.png

Yep. Some years back I said I'd pay R400 for DSTV Premium without Sports, but now we have fibre and streaming services, so a bit too late DSTV.

Brian_G

Executive Member
Yep. Some years back I said I'd pay R400 for DSTV Premium without Sports, but now we have fibre and streaming services, so a bit too late DSTV.
Not quite.
Besides it being very convenient to let them pick content for us, which they've done fairly well so far, there's also strong threatened legal crackdowns on for instance Netflix USA / UK lists-access via VPN usage.

Botha22

Soccer is R648. You can rather get Showmax Pro at R450 for 2 devices.

Cricket and rugby is R648. EXPENSIVE.
Maybe they would do away with Showmax Pro, Compact and Compact Plus since those definitely undercut these new packages. Or raise the prices of the old packages to match the Flex.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Not quite.
Besides it being very convenient to let them pick content for us, which they've done fairly well so far, there's also strong threatened legal crackdowns on for instance Netflix USA / UK lists-access via VPN usage.
DSTV does a good job of choosing content?

Not everyone who watches Netflix uses VPN.

grok

Honorary Master
Too late she cried..

I spend the money I save from cencelled DSTV on hookers & blow, but hey whoami to judge, enjoy your shows..

joshuatree

Expert Member
Everybody have always said we have it good with DSTV compared to other parts of the world where you ultimately pay for add-on packages and pay per view sporting events, whereas with DSTV we get an all included product at a certain price which ultimately works out cheaper.

So I think DStv is not making anything cheaper in the long run probably - they are going for the model where you pay more for certain things eventually.

SuperSport has always been seen as a very good product as a whole compared to other offerings where available in the world.

DStv will probably further stop the loophole DStv Now piggybacking on login credentials through new offerings with either satellite or streaming to be taken.

Anonymous 123456

The R299 excludes 2 decent channels. Mnet Movies 1 and 2. You pay extra R99 for it. That brings the total up to R398 for all entertainment. Not sure exactly what else is excluded because I don't see it on the DSTV website to compare with. It's expensive compared to streaming.

You can get Netflix UHD @ R169 + Showmax R99 per month + Amazon prime R90 for R358.

It's difficult to accurately compare content though so it depends on what you watch really and whether streaming/viewing it with ads or no ads.

Also does DSTV flex work on decoders and dstv streaming or is it just streaming? If it includes everything then using it on a smart tv to watch catchup might be a good deal actually.
Well that's not including internet costs and such, although i think most people will pay for internet anyway for social media. I'm not sure about sports fans but for us who are just interested in good entertainment it's a good price. We have the option to pick mnet which has a lot of premium content and we get to handpick which channels we want. All the extra channels we don't need and the kids channels my kids don't really care for don't need to be paid for and we get to choose the ones that we want. 400 rand a month including latest blockbusters premiering for the first time on tv in africa seems decent

Anonymous 123456

R299 for a package with M-Net is pretty good. Are there still people on M-Net only packages, what are you paying?

For someone who doesn't care about sport, this is a good package considering that you get HBO, Showtime and Disney content.
For HBO and Disney though there's Showmax which has all HBO content, and Disney Plus is coming next year where we'll have everything Disney at our fingertips, but having M-net will be great for the talk shows and exclusives

Anonymous 123456

Wait a second, am I missing something here?
This ends being more expensive than premium if you chose everything.

R299+R499+R99 is R897

Normal premium is R829...?
No, this is for people who either don't like sports or who don't watch movies. I'm sure the price for everything will remain the same. As someone who doesn't watch sports 400R is actually a good deal than paying double that price just to get stuck with sports channels going to waste

Anonymous 123456

I like all the DSTV channels except the sports. Is there an option that has all the channels except sports and includes Showmax?
Yes, you can have the eentertainment bundle and the premium movie channels total will be just under 400 rand. Not sure about if it will come with showmax though, but paying 500 rand with showmax is better than 800

Anonymous 123456

No. But look at the base module in post #2, may be enough given the cost saving?
Does also include NatGeo, Discovery, History, Food channel, other movie channels...

Not (yet) available though. I think it is already in Namibia but stand to be corrected.
But even if it won't
Actually less than everything - the base module isn't all the other channels either.

Only thing I like here is that there's been some slight giving in with their non-soccer sport, but a long way to go...
Even though, there's some channels that people don't even turn on and I'm sure the decent channels that most people watch and will keep them entertained can't be more than 67