DStv online services and old decoders

fbman

that not fair, So I have to buy a new decoder to able to use the usb and ethernet ports, even though my existing decoder has an ethernet port.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
That's okay, MC, I have a laptop, MiniPC, multiple external HDD's and uncapped ADSL.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
They will start enabling all the functionality on all decoders as soon as the market force them to. That means when other online content providers start to appear on the market. ATM they can still squeeze us all for R700/m.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
They will start enabling all the functionality on all decoders as soon as the market force them to. That means when other online content providers start to appear on the market. ATM they can still squeeze us all for R700/m.
That might be true, but AFAIK the 2P's ethernet port is not connected to the motherboard at all (I'm speaking under correction, but I think I read it somwhere).

Juliass_M

Why did it have one then?
All about the bottom line, do we activate ports on decoder or force them to buy new decoder at ridiculous price and add to our bottom line. Id love to be able to say gfys and get another service of equal or better value however this is not possible thanks to monopoly that ICASA seems to be creating accross the I.T industry.

CeeBee

Expert Member
i guess it could be, as standard practice with many other products, the decoder manufacturer used the same standard outer casing and build as higher specced decoders, without adding the components inside, hence reducing cost, so while it may look like theres a LAN port on the older decorder, it may not be wired, or functional at all.
or, could just be multichoice saying "naaa, rather buy a new decoder, than keep using old decoder with new functionality activated"... better for them to sell new decoders, make a bit more money on existing customers again... its also standard biz practice?
more likely option 2?

still... they're gonna have to come up with some really sweet deals to compete broadband options with other streaming/download services when it becomes more available in ZA
atm Multichoice still has quite a monopoly going, as well as consumers' general lazyness and/or ignorance to try other options.
but it has to end sooner or later

Last edited:

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Software developed in house?

Really?... I could have sworn that the software on the new decoder was developed by a 3rd party company.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
Software developed in house?

Really?... I could have sworn that the software on the new decoder was developed by a 3rd party company.
I do know the decoders are made in East London, not too sure about the software development

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
I do know the decoders are made in East London, not too sure about the software development
They're made in East London yes, but they're an international company that designed it and is also building it.

Leatherman

That's okay, MC, I have a laptop, MiniPC, multiple external HDD's and uncapped ADSL

Hope that's not with MWEB!!! You will get an abuse letter.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
That's okay, MC, I have a laptop, MiniPC, multiple external HDD's and uncapped ADSL

Hope that's not with MWEB!!! You will get an abuse letter.
You've been here for 5 months, learn to quote. Click on "reply with quote" below the post...

Syphonx

Expert Member
They're made in East London yes, but they're an international company that designed it and is also building it.
From what I've heard it's built and designed by an international company that also supplies many other countries with decoders. They also supply software with it but multichoice believes they can do better and write their own code. Of course the stock software is much better than anything multichoice can come up with.

Trix

The article doesn't say that they will enable usb port on the explorer, just that they will be providing content over broadband so using ethernet. They still not enabling usb and ethernet on older decoders. I wonder if its possible to buy a decoder with stock software and use it for dstv with all functionality enabled?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
From what I've heard it's built and designed by an international company that also supplies many other countries with decoders. They also supply software with it but multichoice believes they can do better and write their own code. Of course the stock software is much better than anything multichoice can come up with.
From what I know MC themselves didn't write the code, they got another company to do it.
MC have written the stuff for the last few decoders, and its clearly beyond crap.. so they had to outsource the job to a company that is more competent than them.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master