Dutch Development Jobs

cguy

Expert Member
I may spend some time in Amsterdam soon (company has offices there). I’ve spent many weeks visiting on vacation, and my wife and I love the city.

My biggest take away from my visits is the level of general happiness and contentedness the population seem to experience. I think people would have to be crazy to not try for one of these jobs if they are sufficiently qualified.

Urist

Expert Member
Apparently the dutch are better at english than the english, would love to go there

vic777

Expert Member
Most of the jobs i've seen are in high freq trading/block chain stuffs (like luno startups many in uk has this too,u need java + ci/cd + springboot + concurrency) and of cause e-com (ayden is a huge employer). There are others too like booking.com and some setting up like Amazon.

I'd move there if i got a job sorted. The language i'd say is not really a hindrance in business as they made a conscious effort ensure their technology and science sectors are english driven to attract best talent from way back in the 1990s if i remember correctly. There is a reason why they have the least farming subsidies and highest efficiencies compared to the rest of Europe. Main attraction i'd think is timezone and flights being cheap to comeback for holidays. If you already senior the move is generally favourable.. if non-tech u may struggle tho.
Adyen does way more than e-commerce, and Amazon already has offices here, largest in Den Haag. There is a lot of opportunities for skilled developers in all areas. Many jobs especially in the payments industry.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I am going to answer @creeper 's PM here, as others will ask the same questions regarding cost of living.

1. Medical aid. You are required to have zorgverzekering from the day you arrive. They will backdate it to the day your passport was stamped. All systems are intelinked here, so you can not lie.
Medical aid for myself, my wife and two children that are over 18, amounts to €132/m. This is the equivalent of Discovery Classic Comprehensive. Children under 18 are absolutely free. And once you see the system in operation, you will pay that money with a smile.
Don't bother going to your GP when you have the flue. He will give you Panados. You have to be in the tunnel of light to get antibiotics.
Having said that, a colleague's wife got medication for accute arthritis that is not even available in SA. Been suffering with it for years, and alsmost cured in 4 days.
Very good.

ronald911

Expert Member
At the company I work for we've been losing atleast 1 dev every month since November last year because they emigrating to Netherlands.
Not only the Netherlands.
France dropped their University requirements for people in Tech (specifically Developers). So now basically anyone skilled enough, employed by a French company can go over on a Tech Visa.

Messugga

Honorary Master
The corporate I work for has also haemorrhaged skilled technical staff over the last year, to Europe. First the devs went and now the majority of BI/data science team leads have either gone or are going shortly.
It's quite unsettling but that being said, we're probably not far behind them.

vic777

Expert Member
Not only the Netherlands.
France dropped their University requirements for people in Tech (specifically Developers). So now basically anyone skilled enough, employed by a French company can go over on a Tech Visa.
This is good, but you still need an employer to sponsor the visa. The problem with not having a degree is you compete for the same position with people from all over the world, many with master's degrees.

ArtyLoop

Executive Member
Agreed; the deteriorating state of SA alone is a good enough reason to apply + it's not as if anyone has anything to lose by trying.
Well yes, I woke up at 2 this morning and thought about applying even if its a short remote-working gig. Nice extra income for toys, ink, and for saving up to get my arse out of this shithole.
As for living there, I am not so sure.

I am soon going to be accredited with a bunch of payment industry things, so I think it will be possible. They're already approaching me by cold calling because of my experience.

ronald911

Expert Member
This is good, but you still need an employer to sponsor the visa. The problem with not having a degree is you compete for the same position with people from all over the world, many with master's degrees.
or have some C O N N E C T I O N S

envo

Expert Member
You will never integrate into society if you don’t put the effort in. Ask yourself, do you want to be sidelined for the rest of your life outside official business.
I have found that 99% of afrikaners don't put effort into any other language than afrikaans. it's sad. but i don't know why, especially in 2019. Especially those cuntflaps who thinks it's okay to speak afrikaans while an english person is in attendance. Thank god I have amazing friends who would rather accommodate and switch to english than carry on in afrikaans.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
I have found that 99% of afrikaners don't put effort into any other language than afrikaans. it's sad. but i don't know why, especially in 2019. Especially those cuntflaps who thinks it's okay to speak afrikaans while an english person is in attendance. Thank god I have amazing friends who would rather accommodate and switch to english than carry on in afrikaans.
And how is the English cuntflap’s Afrikaans? Or any other language for that matter?

envo

Expert Member
Thank you. I honestly don't get it, since history is history and it was well before my time.
But it explains a lot... all the Afrikaans guys had it easy at that company. Oh well.
same reason why young black people hate afrikaners/whites so much still. history is history, but hate is taught

envo

Expert Member
And how is the English cuntflap’s Afrikaans? Or any other language for that matter?
huh?

Afrikaners are. Not the English. And when you have 1 English friend join a group of Afrikaners who refuse to switch to English to accommodate that person or include them in the conversation, especially in a working environment, they are indeed cuntflaps (I actually thought the word would be censored, lol, found one for the mods to add to the list)

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
huh?

Afrikaners are. Not the English. And when you have 1 English friend join a group of Afrikaners who refuse to switch to English to accommodate that person or include them in the conversation, especially in a working environment, they are indeed cuntflaps (I actually thought the word would be censored, lol, found one for the mods to add to the list)
I work with a bunch of Dutch people. They do not switch to English, or Afrikaans, for my benefit. I am the minority.

Same as you, you are the minority. What makes you so special?

Hope I am not misunderstanding your angle here, but it seems you rode in on a high horse. If I am wring, I apologise.

Reactions: ck1

envo

Expert Member
I work with a bunch of Dutch people. They do not switch to English, or Afrikaans, for my benefit. I am the minority.

Same as you, you are the minority. What makes you so special?

Hope I am not misunderstanding your angle here, but it seems you rode in on a high horse. If I am wring, I apologise.
No worries, I'm just smiling at the high horse comment.

I'm just saying Afrikaners tend to be less inclusive and less willing to change or accept change. Even when presented with options TO change. I've seen many of them come back to South Africa because they missed it here (read between the lines)

Urist

Expert Member
No worries, I'm just smiling at the high horse comment.

I'm just saying Afrikaners tend to be less inclusive and less willing to change or accept change. Even when presented with options TO change. I've seen many of them come back to South Africa because they missed it here (read between the lines)
Kap `n chill pill, dis mini vrydag-aand