Dutch Development Jobs

Spacerat

Ok, I thought you meant qualifications - because many, in fact most people here have master's degrees

Don't let it stop you if you see a role for which you consider yourself "too senior". In many cases the company needs senior people anyway and they will adapt the role and offer for your level of seniority.

Most employers will conduct 90% of the interview remotely, only flying you in for a face to face interview at the end.
Sure, I also have masters. I am totally prepared to take a 'lower level' job to be able to move to elsewhere.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Sure, I also have masters. I am totally prepared to take a 'lower level' job to be able to move to elsewhere.
You shouldn't have to, plus this agency is not the only route to employment opportunities in Netherlands.
Suggest you throw a wider net and include UK, Ireland, and broader Europe.

creeper

Expert Member
Ok, I thought you meant qualifications - because many, in fact most people here have master's degrees

Don't let it stop you if you see a role for which you consider yourself "too senior". In many cases the company needs senior people anyway and they will adapt the role and offer for your level of seniority.

Most employers will conduct 90% of the interview remotely, only flying you in for a face to face interview at the end.
Got flown over a few weeks ago. Did 2 interviews face to face. Didn’t get the job, but got a good idea of Netherlands.

Now peeved I didn’t get the job. I can live there.

vic777

Expert Member
Got flown over a few weeks ago. Did 2 interviews face to face. Didn’t get the job, but got a good idea of Netherlands.

Just keep at it, there are many opportunities here

phaktza

Executive Member
You guys are making me jealous, but I guess it's the antipodes for me.

GreGorGy

BULLSFAN
Look neither @cguy or myself are experts.
I know :laugh: but you both managed to add value, despite the turn it seemed to take there for a while. And you both know a little more than I did when I asked the question. So thanks to both of you.

I would not be looking at this for at least 10 months or so, if at all. It really depends on my daughter and what she wants when she graduates. Thanks for all the input.

phaktza

Executive Member
I know but you both managed to add value, despite the turn it seemed to take there for a while. And you both know a little more than I did when I asked the question. So thanks to both of you.

I would not be looking at this for at least 10 months or so, if at all. It really depends on my daughter and what she wants when she graduates. Thanks for all the input.
These laws are to be implemented in 2020, in about 10 months. So definitely take a good look!

Spacerat

You shouldn't have to, plus this agency is not the only route to employment opportunities in Netherlands.
Suggest you throw a wider net and include UK, Ireland, and broader Europe.
Will definately search wider... my age a bit against me.

Did a remote interview with a VERY LARGE company 2 weeks ago. Passed round 1. Next they will be flying me to HQ in the US for onsite interviews.

But netherlands looks nice though. My father was born Dutch

Spacerat

Do you know why you didnt get the job?

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Will definately search wider... my age a bit against me.
Doubt that'll be an issue; certainly hasn't been for me.

Did a remote interview with a VERY LARGE company 2 weeks ago. Passed round 1. Next they will be flying me to HQ in the US for onsite interviews.

But netherlands looks nice though. My father was born Dutch
Good to hear you're considering the US as well. Good luck.

creeper

Expert Member
Do you know why you didnt get the job?
The manager send me a two page email. I have the right education, skills, but not enough experience in the area they needed to person for (busy developing experience in the area at present). He was quite shocked that what he and 6 other people do, I do by myself. CV is with them now and if something comes along again, I’m sure that will contact me.

I’m not truly peeved. I wanted to visit the Netherlands anyway as a potential emigration destination. Someone else paid for me, I could do real research (as the Internet only provides that much), could walk the streets, chat with the people on their issues in their country and have a bit of a holiday. And the Netherland’s weather did the salespitch. 5 days of sun in April (and after that, cold weather again).

Spacerat

The manager send me a two page email. I have the right education, skills, but not enough experience in the area they needed to person for (busy developing experience in the area at present). He was quite shocked that what he and 6 other people do, I do by myself. CV is with them now and if something comes along again, I’m sure that will contact me.

I’m not truly peeved. I wanted to visit the Netherlands anyway as a potential emigration destination. Someone else paid for me, I could do real research (as the Internet only provides that much), could walk the streets, chat with the people on their issues in their country and have a bit of a holiday. And the Netherland’s weather did the salespitch. 5 days of sun in April (and after that, cold weather again).
Good luck with the search...

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I found this interesting as I was approached by a Dutch owned software development agency about 5 years ago (while still in SA) wanting me to come work for them. Salary seemed quite low as they were offering something like 3500-4000 euro per month so i declined.

Funnily enough I decided to watch the video on the first page and to my surprise there is someone in the video that used to work with me back in the day while he was studying IT. Small world.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
So with this new expat tax, what are your intentions? To just ignore it or do you have to pay?

Also, would an imported hire be allowed to use the coffee shops?
Just financially emigrate.
Not necessary. Expat tax is for those that fail the tax residency test. The only reason this expat tax thing is doing the rounds (again) is because so many people are leaving SA and the companies that do financial emigration saw a gap in the market to exploit. Unless you need to get your Retirement Annuity funds out of the country there is no need to financially emigrate, just make sure you file a 0 return for SARS each year and make sure you stay and earn in the country abroad and there is nothing they can do.

The tax targets those that go abroad periodically and work in different countries or for people that stay in SA but are employed abroad (hence taxing salary abroad where money is earned as well as locally in SA).

hainRi

I found this interesting as I was approached by a Dutch owned software development agency about 5 years ago (while still in SA) wanting me to come work for them. Salary seemed quite low as they were offering something like 3500-4000 euro per month so i declined.

Funnily enough I decided to watch the video on the first page and to my surprise there is someone in the video that used to work with me back in the day while he was studying IT. Small world.
As someone that interviewed with this organization in the past, I can tell you that they only pay minimum wage for skilled workers, so thats the amount above. For cost of living adjustment I would have needed ~8000 euro to move.

Booking.com provides a nice relocation package where they pay for half of a container, amongst other things, so that you can bring all your worldly possessions over there and not start from scratch.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
As someone that interviewed with this organization in the past, I can tell you that they only pay minimum wage for skilled workers, so thats the amount above. For cost of living adjustment I would have needed ~8000 euro to move.

Booking.com provides a nice relocation package where they pay for half of a container, amongst other things, so that you can bring all your worldly possessions over there and not start from scratch.
Exactly my thoughts. Did the research and the place looks nice and all but I had my hangups over and above the low salary. The cost of living is high and the salary would barely cover a mediocre style of living (compared to what I had in SA). Also, the landscapes are pretty but that's because it rains all the time. I'm first language English and my Afrikaans is pretty bad so having to learn Dutch was not something I wanted to struggle with while trying to do everything else. The Dutch are also known as a hardy people who are apparently blunt and direct. That's fine in and of itself but apparently it is notoriously hard to break into the Dutch social circles, especially when you are 30+. I'm not the greatest at breaking into new socials circles and then add to that the language barrier and I'd be but a lonesome peasant. I guess the fact that they are trying to get a whole bunch of saffers in means you can make a little community but at the end of the day they are trying to take advantage of high skill for low cost. If they can hit the sweet spot of 3-5 years exp for what they are paying then both company and employee would be happy or if they get those desperate to escape SA but other than that I think it's a hard sell.

prOd

Expert Member
Not necessarily restricted to Dutch relocation but do you guys think having a Master's under your belt will make job hunting overseas easier?