Easy Equities good or bad?

mrichard

Core Shares has a S&P 500 product as well but with a lower fee.
Are you sure about the fees?
The CoreShares S&P 500 fact sheet says:
TER: 0.51%
Annual fee: 0.45%

Sygna face sheet says:
TER: 0.2%
Annual fee: 0.1%

I am new to investing in EFTs, so maybe I am missing something?

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Are you sure about the fees?
The CoreShares S&P 500 fact sheet says:
TER: 0.51%
Annual fee: 0.45%

Sygna face sheet says:
TER: 0.2%
Annual fee: 0.1%

I am new to investing in EFTs, so maybe I am missing something?
Ah yes, you are 100% correct, I was referencing the old DBXUS which is now the Sygnia Itrix MSCI USA ETF which has an expense ratio of 0.86%.

Go with the Sygnia S&P 500 version if you want to keep it all in rands. WIth the timeline you are looking at I would consider moving it to the USD account. Even if you have to pay a bit more for the conversion, you can invest in ETFs with even lower expense ratios which will make up for the difference.

Not to mention the tax implications of a depreciating rand.

mrichard

Ah yes, you are 100% correct, I was referencing the old DBXUS which is now the Sygnia Itrix MSCI USA ETF which has an expense ratio of 0.86%.

Go with the Sygnia S&P 500 version if you want to keep it all in rands. WIth the timeline you are looking at I would consider moving it to the USD account. Even if you have to pay a bit more for the conversion, you can invest in ETFs with even lower expense ratios which will make up for the difference.

Not to mention the tax implications of a depreciating rand.
Thanks for the advice,

How exactly does one go about moving it to a USD account. Can it be done easily on easy equities, do you need to open some other kind of account?

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Thanks for the advice,

How exactly does one go about moving it to a USD account. Can it be done easily on easy equities, do you need to open some other kind of account?
Easy Equities has an FX service which you can access from the menu to process a transfer. Alternatively you can deposit into your Easy Equities USD account via a normal SWIFT Payment from your bank account.

If I am not mistaken you should automatically have a USD account when you open your Easy Equities account ZAR account.

mrichard

STXWDM and a bit of STXNDQ for flavour. I'm done with "local" ETFs. Pension, RA and home are all overly exposed.
Satrix World and Satrix Nasdaq 100 both include similar companies (Amazon, facebook, microsoft, apple, goole) as main weights in the ETF. Similary S&P 500 ETFs also are invested in these companies.

I am going for S&P 500 as a middle grounds between world and top 100 in terms of foreign equity.
My 2nd allocation is into Emerging markets which adds other companies to my portfolio such as tencent, alibaba, samsung, baidu.
The 20% global property is my "Safer" allocation. But also going offshore with all my TFS.

Can’t do a TFSA in US$ so kind of defeats that purpose.
Okay, so for TFSA, I go all ZAR, no choice. Anything above that it would probably be best to go USD?

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Satrix World and Satrix Nasdaq 100 both include similar companies (Amazon, facebook, microsoft, apple, goole) as main weights in the ETF.
Yes, and? It's a much higher concentration of stocks that are doing really well at the moment. It's hardly the same scenario as buying both STX40 and STXIND.

If you want you can also go GLODIV and STXNDQ instead of CSP500.

TheJman

Expert Member
Hey all,

Appeal to anyone that has an Easy Equities Account that has bought an ETF (more preferably, a USD ETF), please please could you give me an example of actual fees you paid to buy into the ETF and then the on-going charge to hold that ETF.

I've downloaded their fees and costs pdf and honestly, I'm really confused o_O

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Hey all,

Appeal to anyone that has an Easy Equities Account that has bought an ETF (more preferably, a USD ETF), please please could you give me an example of actual fees you paid to buy into the ETF and then the on-going charge to hold that ETF.

In the Tax Free account a:
R2750.00 transaction (SYGWD) cost me about R9.00
R8875.00 transaction (STXNDQ) cost me about R30.00

It'll be slightly higher outside of the tax free account but not by much. The only ongoing fee is the ETF itself and that you'll find in the fact sheet from the actual company providing the ETF (Absa, Sygnia, CoreShares, Satrix etc)

mrichard

Hey all,

You can use the USD demo account. You get $10000 demo money, I used it to "buy" 8 different ETFs and the total cost was about $64 on using the entire $10000.

Zukat

Can anyone invested through EE actually present a share certificate confirming that their shares have actually been registered on the JSE? Straightforward, without the ring fenced company stories...

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Can anyone invested through EE actually present a share certificate confirming that their shares have actually been registered on the JSE? Straightforward, without the ring fenced company stories...
I haven't seen a share certificate even when I was with FNB.

Eti1

Expert Member
It's uncertificated shares, the JSE doesn't deal with share certificates.

If you are really hung up on physical proof, best you can do is request the securities register of the company you are invested in. You have a statutory right to access it.

Chances are though, that your shares will be registered in the name of FWT Nominees, or even in the name of a CSD participant that FWT uses.

But your name *should* be in a register maintained by FWT.

czc

Honorary Master
No certificates but I've received emails from the companies that I've bought shares in.