• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Latest One-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Home Mini Smart Speaker and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.

Easy Equities good or bad?

Hey all,

Appeal to anyone that has an Easy Equities Account that has bought an ETF (more preferably, a USD ETF), please please could you give me an example of actual fees you paid to buy into the ETF and then the on-going charge to hold that ETF.

I've downloaded their fees and costs pdf and honestly, I'm really confused o_O
I sent $2000 to the USD account a couple of months ago. Bought 1 AMD share and the rest used on ETFs. Total fees came to under $20 IIRC. I can go and have a look but it wasn't much. Very reasonable. Higher fees at the bank to actually make the SWIFT payment, I should have used Exchange4Free but only learned about them afterwards unfortunately.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So you are saying they can provide you with the share certificates? From what I remember they said they are keeping your funds in a ring fenced trust which allows them to keep the fees so low...
Can anyone invested through EE actually present a share certificate confirming that their shares have actually been registered on the JSE? Straightforward, without the ring fenced company stories...
Thank you all for the feedback.

Did you get this directly from the company you invested in?
Really now :rolleyes:

TheJman

Expert Member
I sent $2000 to the USD account a couple of months ago. Bought 1 AMD share and the rest used on ETFs. Total fees came to under $20 IIRC. I can go and have a look but it wasn't much. Very reasonable. Higher fees at the bank to actually make the SWIFT payment, I should have used Exchange4Free but only learned about them afterwards unfortunately.
Awesome!! I'm looking at those Vanguard ETF's - just waiting for the volatility to calm down a bit - which means I may be waiting until after bloody elections!

newby_investor

What advantage does Easy Equities offer over going directly through the likes of Sygnia and Satrix?
Sygnia and Satrix both have their own platforms (Satrix's one is actually based off of Easy Equities!) - you can only buy their in-house funds. You may be able to get the funds a bit cheaper, but I haven't looked closely at this.

Easy Equities offers you anything that's listed on the JSE. So if you want to hold both Sygnia and Satrix ETFs, as well as Coreshares, Newfunds, Stanlib, and all the rest.

And you can buy individual shares. If you should so desire.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Sygnia and Satrix both have their own platforms (Satrix's one is actually based off of Easy Equities!) - you can only buy their in-house funds. You may be able to get the funds a bit cheaper, but I haven't looked closely at this.

Easy Equities offers you anything that's listed on the JSE. So if you want to hold both Sygnia and Satrix ETFs, as well as Coreshares, Newfunds, Stanlib, and all the rest.

And you can buy individual shares. If you should so desire.
Thanks. I suspected that was the case; Easy Equities offers convenience (in terms of diversifying) at a slight premium, just wanted to be certain.

newby_investor

Thanks. I suspected that was the case; Easy Equities offers convenience (in terms of diversifying) at a slight premium, just wanted to be certain.
AFAIK, they have the cheapest brokerage fees of any account in SA. Any normal account that is. And no monthly fees.

Haven't looked at what the brokerage fees are at Sygnia / Satrix. I would imagine Satrix would be similar, since they use the EE platform (SatrixNOW). The nice thing about the Satrix one is that you get access to their unit trusts as well, which you wouldn't get with EE.

The other thing to consider is that on EE there aren't any minimums. With Sygnia, you have to invest on a R500/m debit order, or R20k lump sum. Not sure about Satrix.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Easy Equities offers convenience (in terms of diversifying) at a slight premium
You may be the first person to say EE offers their service at a premium.

All the atforms are cheap but they tend to be the cheapest depending on the size of the transaction. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but we compared ABSA, EE and CoreShares before.

EE was the cheapest if your transactions were below something like R6000, CoreShares was almost the cheapest but only because they don't subsidise some of the fees like EE does. Same deal with ABSA.

They all offer something different though:

EasyEquities - instant trading at market price (you don't really know what price you are trading at until after the fact)

CoreShares - operates more like unit trusts. Transactions are delayed a couple of days because they bulk process to save on costs. Limited to CoreShare only ETFs but they cover almost everything. CoreShares also manage the funds for OUTvest

ABSA - Full trading system with stop loss and lit trading functionality. Can be "frustrating" if you're not used to partial trades executing (can lead to higher costs) or if you want an immediate trade to happen.