err...Is the gaming section on MyBB dying??

DarKWateR

Expert Member
This has been bothering me for some time now....

Where the f*&k is everybody!!?

Why do I ask? Well....

* The stickied threads are just hanging there on the brink of death.
* You just keep on seeing the same faces (I can count them on my hand).
* There's barely any new discussions.
* You might get some form of reply about 1 hour to 1 day after you post.
* Most of topics are repeats (hardware problems, pricing, or other bad news).
* The Xbox/360 thread is a ghost town (scary, yes indeed).
* Barely any new members here.
* The last post as of today was like 2-3 hours ago.

I joined MyBB in 2005 and in comparison to then, well simply put, this section is epic fail. There were tons of gamers (all platforms) chatting together about their latest games, tips, bargains, hype, bragging, sharing, etc. and now there's none. The DS and PSP threads are already resting in peace with the PS3 and Xbox sticky threads going the same path. Where has everybody gone? Don't tell my mygaming.co.za since it's not "that" much more alive there.

I'm already looking for alternative forums but honestly, I don't want to. I've been here for over 4 years. Come on people, let make some form of plan here. Any ideas?

EtienneK

Expert Member
Blame all the trolling that's been going on here. I've said for a while that these forums should be moderated better.

LancelotSA

Banned
To tell you the truth, I think MyBB seems to be dying! I am not sure what the numbers say but I was a regular on here a few months back. You would often find plenty conversations going on with quick responses from a number of members. I spent some time away and on my return about a week ago I have found things to be very quiet. It seems the usual banter has gone.

Perhaps this is a good thing as you now seem to get responses to queries and less smart ass comments. But yeah, it has definitely changed....

DarKWateR

Expert Member
Blame all the trolling that's been going on here. I've said for a while that these forums should be moderated better.

WOW! Life! but yeah I agree, the trolling got pretty heavy at times.

Some suggestions come to mind...like getting a new moderator and maybe some "Save the Gaming section" campaign in our signatures or something. Yeah yeah lame ideas, but I'm working on it.

DarKWateR

Expert Member
To tell you the truth, I think MyBB seems to be dying! I am not sure what the numbers say but I was a regular on here a few months back. You would often find plenty conversations going on with quick responses from a number of members. I spent some time away and on my return about a week ago I have found things to be very quiet. It seems the usual banter has gone.

Perhaps this is a good thing as you now seem to get responses to queries and less smart ass comments. But yeah, it has definitely changed....

Yeah, I've noticed this as well but it seems like the gaming section is affected the worst. It's a shame really.

Keeper

Honorary Master
mygaming not really active??! some mygaming guys have thousands of posts already!

these cold winter days make everyone want to be in bed heheh

Jase

Executive Member
Pheh, mygaming blocked at the current site I am on.

zeridine

it is probably dead because of the same old same old xbox 360 vs ps3 bull crap threads. AKA e-penis envy threads. goddamnit i am so sick of hearing which console is better.:(

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Hi DarKWateR

I had a look at the stats and the stats are as high or even higher than ever. This goes for number of daily posts, number of threads, user activity and the like. MyGaming may have had some effect, but I don’t think it significantly impacted on MyBroadnand.

Do you guys feel the gaming section is quieter than previously?

Solidus

Expert Member
Yes rpm, its much quieter.
Too fewer posters, mygaming seems to be more active but last year this time this was thread was more active than ever heck my manager even banned me from myBB last year cause I posted here too much :eek:

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
I've seen a steady decline in activity here as well. I'm not that active in replying anymore, but just lurk here every day. The same goes for many other forums on MyBB... Except Off-topic, of course. :p

diabolus

Executive Member
I don't think the Gaming Section was ever really alive to begin with [compared to the core IT sections] imho. Most gaming discussions are happening on more specialized forums. To name a few, forums.prophecy.co.za , www.Xbox-360.co.za and even Tinman who posts here often is actually posting from: www.mygaming.co.za which have their own forums...but even tinman's topics sometime disappear for some reason.

There was alot of activity when Warhammer released, i remember actually posting cross-forum [here and prophecy] . Alot of WoW players then also got alot more active when Wrath of the Lich King released [the expansion] ...this was October 2008 ...since then i can only imagine things dying down. I'm pretty sure it'll dramatically pick up again in September when Champions Online release....

The other game-specific topics that sparked discussion like E3 , Project Natal and Xbox/PS3 game Pricing don't always start here but in other sections [news/offtopic]....which means there's definitely lots of discussion around gaming going on...just do a search on project natal and notice how many topics there are.....

Last edited:

Borrels

Hi DarKWateR

I had a look at the stats and the stats are as high or even higher than ever. This goes for number of daily posts, number of threads, user activity and the like. MyGaming may have had some effect, but I don’t think it significantly impacted on MyBroadnand.

Do you guys feel the gaming section is quieter than previously?

I also think it has been quieter the last couple of months. I'm not sure how big an influence the myGaming spinoff had on activity, but personally I don't think the link works all that well with Tinman posting links as an after thought. I'm sure myBB had good commercial reasons for creating an entirely new site but then why, apart from legacy, keep the Gaming sections here open? What can be done in this Gaming section that myGaming can't (and vice versa!)?

As someone mentioned, keep in mind that many company web filters block myGaming but not myBroadband - not sure why, but I think it is due to the business news content on myBB