Error 500 Website on Mweb

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
not working on afribiz dsl.
but is working through opera turbo and proxyeasy.
weird. i normally get 500 errors when apache has a config problem with an htaccess file with a bad config directive.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
not working on afribiz dsl.
but is working through opera turbo and proxyeasy.
weird. i normally get 500 errors when apache has a config problem with an htaccess file with a bad config directive.

Thanks alot,

Is it at all possible that one of the Tier 1 ISP's are blocking access for some arbitrary reason?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Definately odd. Tried from home via TI and get a gateway timeout.

Its either a ACL issue on their side, or a routing issue. Maybe they firewalled off SA DSL IP's?

From work I get the same traceroute as yours above and can browse to the site.

From home I get request timed out at no. 14 and 15 and can't connect.

Last edited:

remybfg10k

Expert Member
I just tried it through my mtn 3g on my nokia 5800xm and it loads, will do a tracert when i can get to a pc.

rurapente

Expert Member
I dont think you can blame mweb, since 500 server error is easily caused by a badly written, broken, or failed website script. Chances are the website owner is just leasing space and they're responsible for the content.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
I dont think you can blame mweb, since 500 server error is easily caused by a badly written, broken, or failed website script. Chances are the website owner is just leasing space and they're responsible for the content.

I don't agree with that though, as i've just tried it on my laptop connected to Mweb and it doesn't load, i then plugged in and connected with my 3G card and just pressed F5 in IE and it then loaded fine

It cannot then be a website issue?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
The error 500 is a backend server issue. Looks like there are two issues though. I don't get a 500 error any more - I now get a gateway timeout issue which means its a routing or ACL problem.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
The error 500 is a backend server issue. Looks like there are two issues though. I don't get a 500 error any more - I now get a gateway timeout issue which means its a routing or ACL problem.

Thanks once again greg

I've sent another mail to Mweb technical support, and included a link to this thread. Will PM the thread to the Mweb Rep as well.

remybfg10k

Expert Member
The funniest thing, this website works on a MTN 3G connection, but not on a Vodacom 3G connection?