Eskom ruling: Blacks come first

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
There was this ONE scholarship offered at UCT which was only for people of 'european descent'. It got taken to court and is now no longer available. The fact that 99% of the other scholarships are for black people only surely smacks at least a little of double standards?!

:(

IanC

Expert Member
tibby.dude said:
Non-whites still form the minority of pupils at these schools as parents don't live in close proximity to these schools unless they have moved into the suburbs and the school fees are rather higher compared to traditional black schools.

Drive throught you average suburbs on a Sunday morning and you will see our racial demographics have not changed much since 1994.
Just as your experience of this is skewed towards the Western Cape, mine is skewed towards Gauteng. I drive past 3 formerly white schools every day at about 14:30 and I have to say the vast majority of the students are black. However, this is just empirical evidence based on what I see.

Hastur

Drive throught you average suburbs on a Sunday morning and you will see our racial demographics have not changed much since 1994.
Tibby: I do quite regularly. On our left is a black family, across from us indians, 2 doors down black, end of the block black. 2 kms away is a new low cost housing development. Need i continue.

You might find that there is not much change in the cape, but in jhb, particularly in the east things have definitely changed. maybe you should be hammering the dp to get their collective @sses into gear and sort out the area

kaspaas

Expert Member
The attitude of blacks is disgusting.

We regularly get individuals who just pitch up and demand we employ them in learnerships.

If one dares to tell them that there are no vacancies, they are quick to leave mumbling about racists.

We built the business because we were sidelined in the big establishments in the name of AA without any priviledges, subsidies or whatever on a shoestring budget with many years of hardship starting AFTER 1994. Why should we be punished?

Come to think of it: Much of our business is to correct the mess AA's have made "as expert consultants"

Moederloos

Honorary Master
kaspaas said:
We regularly get individuals who just pitch up and demand we employ them in learnerships.

If one dares to tell them that there are no vacancies, they are quick to leave mumbling about racists.
Hardly representative. A few individuals is by no means an indication of the population at large.

IanC

Expert Member
DigitalSoldier said:
every company is 95% black will jobs still be advertised black only or blacks will stand a better chance ?
Then the companies will not be representative of the country and SA will have to implement AA in favour of coloureds, asians and whites :D . The current population breakdown is:

Black: 79%
White: 9.6%
Coloured: 8.9%
Asian: 2.5%

schitz011

Expert Member
ajak said:
but if the gvt treats certain members of its community like Shiite(and they can find a better place for themselfs and their children overseas, they should leave.
Would that be the muslim Shiite??? :)

I agree with you, as soon as I've got my act together I'm head off back to the UK and taking my missus with us. Why stay and try to build a home in a country where the goverment has absolutly no interest in helping you out and actively hinders you? (AA, Telkom, etc...)

I hope in 2010 the whole thing blows up in governmunts face for all the world to see what a farcial situation we are all made to live with..

kilo39

Executive Member
Me thought our constitution was supposed to protect minorities - what be AA except Apartheid Alive (where is the protection of minorities?)

Angelo

Expert Member
kaspaas said:
The attitude of blacks is disgusting.

We built the business because we were sidelined in the big establishments in the name of AA without any priviledges, subsidies or whatever on a shoestring budget with many years of hardship starting AFTER 1994. Why should we be punished?

Come to think of it: Much of our business is to correct the mess AA's have made "as expert consultants"
Why paint all blacks with the same brush? With your twisted logic which adjective would you use to describe a white man who kills an innocent black person just because he thinks blacks are disgusting?

Last edited:

kaspaas

Expert Member
Angelo said:
Why paint all blacks with the same brush? With your twisted logic which adjective would you use to describe a white man who kills an innocent black person just because he thinks blacks are disgusting?
Ok, I''l change the wording: The attitude of those blacks entering our offices and demanding we provide them with learnerships is disgusting...

The language they use is disgusting.
The signs they show is disgusting.
The threats the issue is disgusting.
It is disgusting that people walk into your office and chase staff from their workstations and sit in their chairs and refuse to leave - and then the police refuse to remove them because nobody was removed and they don't interfere with labour disputes.

I suspect that there is a "Big Daddy" stoking unrest in the minds of these young that white owe them jobs, and that they are entitled to to demand jobs form whites and if not provided, they are within their rights to do as tey wish.

I never wish evil to others, but I won't shed a tear if such a demander trashes the offices of those who took offence to my original posting.

ajak

Expert Member
schitz011 said:
Would that be the muslim Shiite??? :)

I agree with you, as soon as I've got my act together I'm head off back to the UK and taking my missus with us. Why stay and try to build a home in a country where the goverment has absolutly no interest in helping you out and actively hinders you? (AA, Telkom, etc...)

I hope in 2010 the whole thing blows up in governmunts face for all the world to see what a farcial situation we are all made to live with..
RIGHT ON!YOU GO BOY,AND HAVE A GOOD LIFE:D

PearlJam

Expert Member
JStrike said:
antowan : The problem is the schools black kids have gone to for the past 10 years are rubish, and due to historical reasons, their parents could not have afforded to send them to better ones. My parents, due to historical reasons, were able to send my to one of the great schools. And due to the schools name, the OBU, the good university I went to, my parents contacts in the business world, I got a job with rediculous ease. As did *every, single one* of my friends.

Whites are very, very far from being disadvantaged. AA tries to fix this imbalance (But comes nowhere close to succeeding).

Still think AA should be reviewed and implemented differently though
Your view is a bit skewed. I matriculated at the end of 1993 with the elections coming. I was told by every company i knocked at that they cannot help me seeing that i was white. I then were hanging around doing odd jobbs playing rugby etc. and then decided to move to Jhb. Within the first week i managed to get a job painting houses for basically nothing. I was then lucky enough to get a job at the municipality to keep toilets clean at a public swimming pool. From there on i moved up to where i am now. None of my friends got the opportunity that i got. Lots of them still struggle today. There were a few lucky white kids that had the "connections". Now if it was that difficult for us, how must it have been for non-whites? At any given stage all races have /will be prejudiced. IMHO even worse for the non-white and non-black citizens over the years

scatlett

tibby.dude said:
Non-whites still form the minority of pupils at these schools as parents don't live in close proximity to these schools unless they have moved into the suburbs and the school fees are rather higher compared to traditional black schools.

Rubbish. I went to visit my old school a while back. From being an all-white school pre 1992 there is now only a handfull of white pupils at the school.

Nod

Executive Member
In our company it's a unwritten policy (ofcourse), that a AA candidate only have to work 1 year with the company before he can get promoted to management level. For a white person the requirements is a page long, including a few years service, courses that should be attended, etc.

And then they wonder why people is not happy.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So tibby is in CT, that explains a lot. Quite a few black homeowners (3 at least) in our short street in Garsfontein.

Just drive around Menlyn and look at all the black drivers in their SUV's and Beemers and new Mini's.

The 800-pupil former model C school I graduated from in 1996, had 5 black kids then, when I did practical (when I still was doing my degree) there in 2003 it was 80% black...

Edit: I also dont want to hear any BEE bull, thats just Black Elite (further) Enrichment...

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master
U can drive around anywhere at previous white only schools these days and u will see 100's of taxi's coming to pick those children up these days there are a lot more blackpeople.

tibby.dude

Executive Member
DigitalSoldier said:
U can drive around anywhere at previous white only schools these days and u will see 100's of taxi's coming to pick those children up these days there are a lot more blackpeople.
The only black people I see in our suburb is the domestics ;).

I think it has something to do with the fact that not many people are moving into our area as there are lot of retirees here and the housing prices are on the insane side of 800K and hence not a lot of movement.

The situation in new housing developments like for example Parklands might be totally different though.

daysleeper

Originally Posted by schitz011
Would that be the muslim Shiite???

I think the government hinders all of us. It just seems that Mbeki and his team have struggled for a lifetime and now they are going to enjoy the rewards.

Lets all face it. This country is in a big mess. Those of us who can earn a living in this chaos are lucky. Ever since the government started messing with labour post 1994, millions of jobs have been lost. The minimum wage for farm workers has left more than a million rural unemployed farm workers in its wake. They new before hand such policy was not possible. The same thing happened with domestic workers. Thousands of people got rid of there dosmestic workers when issues of UIF and so on came in.

A lot of people are know, just live here in hope that nothing bad will happen. We live in a country where the all state action and laws is subject to the constitution, however the same consitution is subject to the historical past and the political whims of all the "comrades".

For our poor little isolated country to prosper, we must look to the future and not to the past. People have been wronged, tortured and killed. All race groups have made sacrifices, its time to allow freedom of economic actitivity.

just let me earn my bread!