eToll facts from JPSA

rpm

Admin
Staff member
eToll facts

The Justice Project South Africa provides answers on eTolls, and what people should do regarding the system

Peon

Expert Member
See the fact that unpaid fee's escalate and multiply so quickly tells me that is the only hand they got to play. Its going to be interesting but I dont think the courts will favour santrolls vs public.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Is there a TL;DR version?
Dude, the article covers a lot of stuff and isn't bloated.

One thing to he aware of: SANRAL must send you an invoice to the address you provided in terms of the National Road Traffic Act (basically the address on eNatis if I understand correctly) and that it does not need to be registered mail.

And the obvious/known fact that if you register with an eTag you agree to their terms and conditions and you'll have to pay.

Last edited:

mahsuri

Misinformation on the internet with respect to SANRAL having to use registered mail to post invoices is completely invalid and there is NO REQUIREMENT FOR REGISTERED MAIL to be used to send invoices.
I don't know how many times I've read people here saying invoices must be sent by registered mail.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I don't know how many times I've read people here saying invoices must be sent by registered mail.
And people make up stuff about roadblocks where people are threatened about not having e-tags, and people here were going on about it, even JPSA says that a bunch of nonsense.

Zenbaas

Honorary Master
And people make up stuff about roadblocks where people are threatened about not having e-tags, and people here were going on about it, even JPSA says that a bunch of nonsense.
I've read one post where one of the forumites was stopped and harassed by the police. Other than that nothing credible.

ChocolateBadger

Expert Member
Interesting read. It's clear that SANRAL are clutching at straws to intimidate people with threats and propaganda.

GimmeMore

An invoice is a requirement though. I don't agree with the comment that you should go to a Sanral office to ask them how much you owe, and then as per some of the newspaper articles I have seen, expect you to pay the amount "due" withou being able to provide you with the detail.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Yeah i guess i imagined it happening to me on Witkoppen. Dont just assume the moon is made of cheese, mkay ?

Drunkard #1

Expert Member
It's not that they have to be sent registered mail, it's just that SCAMRAL needs to provide proof that they complied with that section of the Act, and registered mail is the obvious way to do that. When I get my day in court, I'm obviously going to claim that my invoice got lost on SCAMRAL's mailing room floor, they therefore aren't complying with the Act, and the court needs to rule on that.

Interesting read. It's clear that SANRAL are clutching at straws to intimidate people with threats and propaganda.
SCAMRAL knows that when they lose the propaganda war, they've lost everything. They can't enforce 20% non-compliance, let alone 80%. They need to scare people into paying without much trouble, or they're done.

Last edited:

qwertydudeza

Dude, the article covers a lot of stuff and isn't bloated.

One thing to he aware of: SANRAL must send you an invoice to the address you provided in terms of the National Road Traffic Act (basically the address on eNatis if I understand correctly) and that it does not need to be registered mail.

And the obvious/known fact that if you register with an eTag you agree to their terms and conditions and you'll have to pay.
The invoice may be true, but the discounts fade away after 7 days of grace.
Also only eTag users get the R450 cap/month

The point is you either are going to pay, then pay the cheapest price possible which is eTag, so, with eTag it will be say R100, after 7 days it will R192.31 and invoice it will be R230.77 within 30 days. Time you get to court R576.92. There is no case to plee in court, if you used it you must pay. If you goto court there is also the R1000 fine, so you looking at R100 becoming R1576.92

If people think the system will collapse, think again. the Government will throw money at it. Thinking the system _WILL_ collapse is no guarantee.

If you are regular user then it will be easy to run over R1000/month bill, escalate of non or delayed payments and it will be very expensive.

So agree to terms and conditions of payment just means to agree to pay which the law requires anyway, so what is the point of deny it???

No I am not a SANRAL person, just someone who cares about my monthly costs and minimize them.

Hey if the system is scrapped the eTag will be in the bin, but right now, using the system daily, I like the min cost of R450/month please

biometrics

Honorary Master

The point is you either are going to pay, then pay the cheapest price possible which is eTag, so, with eTag it will be say R100, after 7 days it will R192.31 and invoice it will be R230.77 within 30 days. Time you get to court R576.92. There is no case to plee in court, if you used it you must pay. If you goto court there is also the R1000 fine, so you looking at R100 becoming R1576.92

If people think the system will collapse, think again. the Government will throw money at it. Thinking the system _WILL_ collapse is no guarantee.

If you are regular user then it will be easy to run over R1000/month bill, escalate of non or delayed payments and it will be very expensive.

So agree to terms and conditions of payment just means to agree to pay which the law requires anyway, so what is the point of deny it???

No I am not a SANRAL person, just someone who cares about my monthly costs and minimize them.

Hey if the system is scrapped the eTag will be in the bin, but right now, using the system daily, I like the min cost of R450/month please
Welcome Rian.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle

I thought you said goodbye?