ETV + SABC free on DSTV?

rph72

Executive Member
Is this possible or must one pay that annoying R20 per month?

My terrestrial signal sucks and I an not interested in signing up for a MC package.

cipha

Sentech has a service called Vivid, you can look into that. IIRC its free. just gotta buy the decoder

Park@82

Honorary Master
Is this possible or must one pay that annoying R20 per month?

My terrestrial signal sucks and I an not interested in signing up for a MC package.
Yes you need to pay R20 for DSTV Easy View to get sabc, etv and some other free channels/radio stations.

Ivork

Expert Member
I don't think you need to pay the 20 bucks any more. Could be wrong or they made a mistake with me. I got all the FTA channels for the last few months after I canned my subs to those scumbags.

Park@82

Honorary Master
I don't think you need to pay the 20 bucks any more. Could be wrong or they made a mistake with me. I got all the FTA channels for the last few months after I canned my subs to those scumbags.
Think you got lucky, your simcard must still be active. I tested with a friends canceled sim+decoder but it just gave a message that said something along the lines of you are not registered for this service.

Edit: do you get SABC?

Peder

Hobbit
You won't get SABC from a MC decoder...

only from a Vivid...

Park@82

Honorary Master
You won't get SABC from a MC decoder...

only from a Vivid...
I do on mine @ R20 pm. How does Vivid work? Do you need a special decoder/sim and satellite dish? Or will a existing Multichoice decoder/dish work?

Peder

Hobbit
existing dish works... just need a different decoder and sim...

Peder

Hobbit
gonna look for a link quick... it is broadcast on the same band as DSTV.

saaierwaaier

Banned
Think you got lucky, your simcard must still be active. I tested with a friends canceled sim+decoder but it just gave a message that said something along the lines of you are not registered for this service.

Edit: do you get SABC?
When you buy a decoder and activate the smartcard, then you automatically get 3 months free EasyView.
I don't know if this is carried over and activated when you cancel any other DStv subscriptions. When we hit a rough patch and had to cut our DStv, we were still able to receive EasyView for free.

Park@82

Honorary Master
When you buy a decoder and activate the smartcard, then you automatically get 3 months free EasyView.
I don't know if this is carried over and activated when you cancel any other DStv subscriptions. When we hit a rough patch and had to cut our DStv, we were still able to receive EasyView for free.
Strange, then why do I have to pay R20 per month for EasyView? Even for the first months...

rph72

Executive Member
I already have a dish installed with a 1110 decoder. A vivid decoder will set me back about R900. No thanks. Can just as well pay the R20 subs. If there is a hack, I would love to know. :D

There are contact details on Sentech's web page for the vivid decoder.

saaierwaaier

Banned
There is no hack for irdeto2.

And R900 for a Vivid decoder? Are you sure? I thought they'd be around R300 or R400.

rph72

Executive Member
Spoke to a guy at Space Television+27 (0) 11 493 5783/4/5 & he advised a decoder would cost me R900.

SUPERMAN89

Expert Member
Wouldn't DVB-T gave you extra if not better coverage?( Sooner or later most South Africans would have to get the new decoder ...uld c alot of free channels..haha ya free like E)