Extend Wifi hotspot downstairs

reflex84

I've seen a post about this question on another thread but that was 3 years ago.

Basically my router is upstairs and my office is downstairs. I am JUST out of wifi range but it's as good as not having any wifi. My PC in my office is of course connected to the internet (by cable) however and I want know if there's any way to create a hotspot downstairs in my office using that cable that supplies my PC?

I spoke to PC Zone a while back and they mentioned something but I can't remember what the guy called it. I'm assuming a range extender. He said they had something for R300 that would do the job but now they're closed.

I'm assuming I need something that the internet cable plugs into which creates a hotspot and that device connects to my pc so I continue to have internet as normal.

Not interested in the Beer can method.
Not interested in turning my actual PC into a hotspot (I think there is a way to do that but that stuffing around with settings bla bla).

I need a name to what I am looking for? Also where's the cheapest place I can buy it from?

NetMpofu

Hi reflex84,

I think before you buy a repeater or range extender. Just try the following (hope it works, if it doesn't then get yourself a repeater).

The positioning of your router is not good, try moving it downstairs since you working from there.Check you interferences that may be affecting your signal.Also try position the antennas of your router in different angles.

Another way is tweaking your router settings, change your channels and see if that works.

stricken

Expert Member
If your PC also has a WiFi adapter... you can just get an Access Point and plug the cable into it... and everthing can connect wirelessly to it... If you can only get your PC online via a cable... you are going to need a wireless router OR a switch + access point - to basically plug the cable from upstairs into.. and another one going to your PC...

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
The way to do it would be to get a WiFi router/Access Point and a WiFi adapter and then change your PC from using the cable to the WiFi router using the cable and then the PC getting it's internet through WiFi with the adapter.

At least that's what I plan to do for my similar situation. Tons of brick and concrete between my PC and the PC with the WiFi connection so an extender wouldn't help, I'll have to create new WiFi zone like I just told you to do. Just can't justify the cost at the moment cuz being out of WiFi range is a mere annoyance not worthy of spending a grand on.

Last edited:

cypher912

Buy a range extender/ap and run a cable from your router to it - best solution

reflex84

@Netmpofu .... thanks for the suggestions. I have to keep the router upstairs because people need internet upstairs + wifi too. And I can't move the router closer anyway. Moving the antennas won't work but I'll give it a shot. The thing is, I don't want to struggle to get wifi downstairs. I don't want to have to move around the room to reach wifi - ***** that. Not tweaking any settings! I've looked at it and they're maximum. FYI -we've just bought a new modem as well.

So basically I need a repeater (AKA range extender)?

@stricken ... my PC is old-ish (Intel Quad 2 Core old), so I doubt it has a wifi adapter. Wouldn't know what that looks like anyway. I'd like to keep my PC connected to the internet via Wire.

So according to you, I need a wireless router (is this the same as a repeater or range extender?).

Please note that I am also looking at the cheapest solution here.

reflex84

Schumi-4-eva .... First off: MS forever!!! Big fan! I am in the exact position you're in. Lots of concrete and I can't move router closer.

Just can't justify the cost at the moment cuz being out of WiFi range is a mere annoyance not worthy of spending a grand on.

Exactly! This is why I am posting this thread as I'd like to know if there's a cheaper solution.

NetMpofu

Okay i hear you, i think you should try this out, a Netgear universal Wifi range Extender. It costs R740 on pricecheck and i believe is easy to to use so you can fix your wifi range.

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
Massive confusion with these terms! Are these solutions any different?

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so, although there are different kinds of these devices which do the same thing. I call it a router merely cuz the box it comes in and the device itself looks exactly like a normal ADSL router but it's actually just a WiFi access point (and because really fancy ADSL router have settings which allow them to be re-purposed as mere WiFi access point turning off all routing capability once retired by a better router). I'm assuming AP stands Access Point.
Extender I'm not sure about cuz I know you get plug into the wall devices that basically get their net from the WiFi and then extend a new WiFi cone around themselves thereby "growing" the WiFi zone, but I'm not sure that's what's being mentioned or how recommendable they are. And they aren't configurable so it either works great or is a DOA that's more useless than the packaging it came in.

Although the bit about the WiFi adapter is new.

As I understand it there's no single device solution to our problem because a WiFi access point can't simultaneously transmit WiFi and act as a network switch that allows you to also keep your PC connected with a cable through it. So that means you're also going to need a WiFi adapter (usually USB although one can also get PCI WiFi cards) to connect your PC to the WiFi which has now become the only internet in that area as the cable that was feeding the PC is now feeding the access point. The devices by themselves would be justifiable, but together the grand they make is just too steep. (or alternatively you could get a network switch/hub, a second cable, and the WiFi access point but that's still multiple purchases)

Curse Android for ripping reverse tethering out of it's constantly improving and simultaneously retarding OS.

Last edited:

ghostim

Expert Member
I'm not 100% sure but I don't think so, although there are different kinds of these devices which do the same thing. I call it a router merely cuz the box it comes in and the device itself looks exactly like a normal ADSL router but it's actually just a WiFi access point (and because really fancy ADSL router have settings which allow them to be re-purposed as mere WiFi access point turning off all routing capability once retired by a better router). I'm assuming AP stands Access Point.
Extender I'm not sure about cuz I know you get plug into the wall devices that basically get their net from the WiFi and then extend a new WiFi cone around themselves thereby "growing" the WiFi zone, but I'm not sure that's what's being mentioned or how recommendable they are. And they aren't configurable so it either works great or is a DOA that's more useless than the packaging it came in.

Although the bit about the WiFi adapter is new.

As I understand it there's no single device solution to our problem because a WiFi access point can't simultaneously transmit WiFi and act as a network switch that allows you to also keep your PC connected with a cable through it. So that means you're also going to need a WiFi adapter (usually USB although one can also get PCI WiFi cards) to connect your PC to the WiFi which has now become the only internet in that area as the cable that was feeding the PC is now feeding the access point. The devices by themselves would be justifiable, but together the grand they make is just too steep. (or alternatively you could get a network switch/hub, a second cable, and the WiFi access point but that's still multiple purchases)

Curse Android for ripping reverse tethering out of it's constantly improving and simultaneously retarding OS.

a WiFi access point can't simultaneously transmit WiFi and act as a network switch = wrong. All of the adsl router/wifi/network switche in 1 box can do all 3 functions at the same time, the cheaper ones are not as good with as the more expensive ones.

My setup is :
VDSL modem with 4 network(LAN) ports and wifi in the study.
One of the lan ports on the VDSL modem connects to a WIFI access point/network switch in the TV room with Ethernet over power. The TV room wifi/network connects to a HTPC and a android streaming device(both with LAN cables). The android streaming device is controlled by an Android phone connected via the Wifi part.
In the study there is 2 pc's and a nas device connect with ethernet to the other ports on the VDSL router.
The main bedroom also has a wifi AP/network switch with a streaming device connected via ethernet and an ipad connect via WIFI.

Charly

Don't waste your time with range extenders if the conditions are anything less than ideal. Just run a cable between the two points and plug a wireless access point in on the other end. If you can't run a cable buy a good pair of Ethernet over power adapters and use that.

zamedic

I personally use the AV500 from TP-Link. It uses the power lines in your house as network cables. So, I plug one end by my router, then have multiple receivers plugged into the wall at the dead spots and it creates a wifi point there (with 2 points for network cables).

https://www.incredible.co.za/tp-link-tl-wpa4220kit

SCHUMI-4-EVA

Expert Member
a WiFi access point can't simultaneously transmit WiFi and act as a network switch = wrong. All of the adsl router/wifi/network switche in 1 box can do all 3 functions at the same time, the cheaper ones are not as good with as the more expensive ones.

So something like the ASUS RT-N10+ can act as both switch and WiFi access point? So I can plug the ethernet cable feeding my PC into it, then plug another ethernet cable in to again feed my PC and get it to create another WiFi zone all at the same time?

ghostim

Expert Member
So something like the ASUS RT-N10+ can act as both switch and WiFi access point? So I can plug the ethernet cable feeding my PC into it, then plug another ethernet cable in to again feed my PC and get it to create another WiFi zone all at the same time?

correct

Nokkie

Executive Member
I had the same problem. Router on the second floor with no signal downstairs. Got a d-link repeater up to 500sq meters and hey presto!