Fibre data usage per month

conman77

Hello Everyone

I thought it would be a good idea to do a thread like this one

Please state the following below:

Fibre provider: Fiberhoods
Fibre isp: cool ideas
Fibre connection speed: 100mb Down 75mb Up.
Usage per month: 2TB +-
Cost for your package per month: R1999

saturnz

Honorary Master
Fibre provider: DFA/CoCT
Fibre isp: Cybersmart
Fibre connection speed: 100mb Down 100mb Up.
Usage per month: 200GB
Cost for your package per month: R400

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Fibre provider: European one - for comparison
Fibre connection speed: 100mb Down not sure up
Usage per month: Like 100GB (No FUP though so could move a couple TB I guess)
Cost for your package per month: R1400

Interestingly from the pricing & packaging its obvious my ISP doesn't really expect anyone to use >1TB.

Fibre provider: DFA/CoCT
Fibre isp: Cybersmart
Fibre connection speed: 100mb Down 100mb Up.
Usage per month: 200GB
Cost for your package per month: R400
Nice pricing. :)

ellyally

Expert Member
Fibre provider: Fibrehoods
Fibre isp: Vox
Fibre connection speed: 100mb Down 50mb Up.
Usage per month: 300GB
Cost for your package per month: R749

sand_man

Honorary Master
I wouldn't mind a speedtest attached to the usage stats too.... Local and international... Just to give us something more to lust after...

saturnz

Honorary Master
I wouldn't mind a speedtest attached to the usage stats too.... Local and international... Just to give us something more to lust after...
my best test to London from CT, usually its around 50/50 though

4611147445.png

to Jo'burg from CT, I consistently get this result to anywhere in SA

4673168681.png

Orihalcon

Expert Member
Gotta say I love VoX's site layout with how they handle the comparisons between the providers.

It also illustrates how much more expensive Telkom's fibre packages in comparison while offering LESS than the competition.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Gotta say I love VoX's site layout with how they handle the comparisons between the providers.

It also illustrates how much more expensive Telkom's fibre packages in comparison while offering LESS than the competition.
You can use any normal ADSL account though with Telkom's Fibre. Which means you're not stuck if your Fibre ISP has routing and/or shaping issues.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
You can use any normal ADSL account though with Telkom's Fibre. Which means you're not stuck if your Fibre ISP has routing and/or shaping issues.
That is true.

I'm on Telkom fibre and my 40mbps/10mbps with 600gb (120 day/480 night) costs me R1033 a month.

Looking at some of the 300gb anytime packages offered on 100mbps and 50mbps with symmetrical speeds, it clearly shows Telkom's pricing is a little scewed. This is of course if those other provider's options are truly unshaped uncapped.

I don't download TB's worth of data - so their uncapped after hours packages don't appeal to me. I do stream a lot in prime time. They can up their game and get with the competition :)

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
That is true.

I'm on Telkom fibre and my 40mbps/10mbps with 600gb (120 day/480 night) costs me R1033 a month.

Looking at some of the 300gb anytime packages offered on 100mbps and 50mbps with symmetrical speeds, it clearly shows Telkom's pricing is a little scewed. This is of course if those other provider's options are truly unshaped uncapped.

I don't download TB's worth of data - so their uncapped after hours packages don't appeal to me. I do stream a lot in prime time. They can up their game and get with the competition :)
The thing is I've heard people having issues with pings to Europe with smart village and the like. I'd be quite scared to limit myself like that to only 1 provider.

Rather pay a little extra for peace of mind.

Orihalcon

Expert Member
The thing is I've heard people having issues with pings to Europe with smart village and the like. I'd be quite scared to limit myself like that to only 1 provider.

Rather pay a little extra for peace of mind.
I have no argument with that. Good point.

I'm considering content creation (video), and having a higher upload would be nice though.

All said and done having fibre still better than no fibre. So still thankful

Jakes147

Expert Member
Hello Everyone

I thought it would be a good idea to do a thread like this one

Please state the following below:

Fibre provider: Fiberhoods
Fibre isp: cool ideas
Fibre connection speed: 100mb Down 75mb Up.
Usage per month: 2TB +-
Cost for your package per month: R1999

Its because of people like this that uncapped sucks. Always someone spoiling the party for everyone.:sick:\
and spare me the "I pay for it so that means I can use as much I can" sob story.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Its because of people like this that uncapped sucks. Always someone spoiling the party for everyone.:sick:\
and spare me the "I pay for it so that means I can use as much I can" sob story.

not really, in my building I encourage people to download as much as possible and basically stress the connection, to date we have failed miserably with 40 users only using maximum 60% of the connection at any one point, which strangely seems to happen between 6 and 8 on weekdays.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Dude he is paying 2grand a month...

Jakes147

Expert Member
Dude he is paying 2grand a month...
Whats your point? At 2TB the ISP is losing money on providing the service. If enough people downloads 2TB the system becomes"unsustainable" and we all start ending up with "openweb" type accounts. In the end we are forced to go back to capped accounts.

How much would he pay if it was a business fibre account? No residential person uses 2TB for own consumption yet.

A business fibre account of 100mb will cost him more than R10 000/pm.

Last edited:

conman77

Hello Jakes147

Please provide proof that my isp is loosing money from me using 2TB's of data on there network?

Next time provide some factual information before assuming - "if enough people downloads 2TB the system becomes "unsustainable" based specifically from my isp.

Otherwise, it would be interesting to see what people are using on the telkom fibre network.

Whats your point? At 2TB the ISP is losing money on providing the service. If enough people downloads 2TB the system becomes"unsustainable" and we all start ending up with "openweb" type accounts. In the end we are forced to go back to capped accounts.

How much would he pay if it was a business fibre account? No residential person uses 2TB for own consumption yet.

A business fibre account of 100mb will cost him more than R10 000/pm.