Fibre internet experience

deca300

Hi guys,

If any of you upgraded to fibre, what is it like? Can you see a massive difference? Is is worth it?
My question is, if I get fibre at home, can I then cancel my Telkom line?
Do I only need the fibre line rental and data?

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
Fiber is just a medium for transport - assuming you mean FTTH it should theoretically be more reliable and faster but there are many many factors including:

Contention ratio - how many others share the bandwidth allocation

The ISP

Of course fiber has higher speed potential than copper Adsl but it depends on the package. E.g if you had 20Mbps fiber it would likely beat 20mbps copper Adsl because it's physically more capable. But if your 20mbps package had a 40:1 contention ratio at your ISP then you would likely not be better off.

I can't believe you'd have to rent a copper analogue (telephone) line as well.

Which fiber solution are you considering?

Last edited:

deca300

Thanks for your reply, at the moment I pay for my telkom line, adsl line rental and data.
Now I am looking at a 10Mbps Fibre from telkom. It comes with 50GB data and Free Night Surfer Data for R699.00
If that all I need to pay then its not bad at all! I pay 600 - 700 at the moment for adsl!

BlindMelonChitlin

Expert Member
Agree, that sounds good. Are you on a telkom setup now (ISP)? I suspect I would be disappointed if it switched - mostly because I'm with vox as the ISP and they beat Telkom hands down in the capped department. I'm also getting it at 50% the normal price because of a special I subscribed to.

V1rus

Thanks for your reply, at the moment I pay for my telkom line, adsl line rental and data.
Now I am looking at a 10Mbps Fibre from telkom. It comes with 50GB data and Free Night Surfer Data for R699.00
If that all I need to pay then its not bad at all! I pay 600 - 700 at the moment for adsl!

I currently run LTE with a 50gb cap and believe me you are gonna regret it. 50GB at that speed is just too little.

PsyCLown

Expert Member
I currently run LTE with a 50gb cap and believe me you are gonna regret it. 50GB at that speed is just too little.

I was also wondering about that 50GB is not a lot, what do you do with your internet connection?

YouTube and all the other streaming services will opt for the higher quality now due to the speed your internet connection is capable of.
Not to mention you are now able to get a lot more done in the same amount of time... I would be worried about that cap.

Is nobody other than Telkom offering fibre in your area? Perhaps consider a bigger cap or additional bandwidth then.

I personally think fibre will be quite a bit better than ADSL / VDSL. I am in the process of switching over from 20Mbit VDSL to 100Mbit Fibrehoods Fibre as it costs me the same per month yet I get more with the Fibre line.

V1rus

I do some streaming and youtubing, but really need to watch myself. Can't really torrent stuff or download all my steam games. Used to have a 200gb cap and that was more than enough.

What I'm trying to say is with the great speed it is crap to have to throttle yourself all the time.