Fibre price comparison on 500Mbps+ uncapped packages

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
High-end fibre price war in South Africa

Openserve has launched a new 500Mbps Openserve Fibre Connect service at an affordable rate which is set to shake up the fibre market in South Africa.

Many fibre network operators have been offering 500Mbps and 1Gbps fibre-to-the-home services, but 200Mbps remained Openserve’s fastest offering since its launch in April 2018.

GhostSixFour

!=Ghost64
Why is it that we're seeing asynchronous up and down speeds on the higher end fibre packages? Wasn't the symmetrical speeds one of the draws?

quovadis

Executive Member
GPON can handle the upload without an issue, one of the standards is 1.2Gbps/1.2Gbps for client homes, think it can go up to 2.4Gbps symmetric but don't quote me on the latter.
Depends on the standard / trunk configuration / splits

HartsockZA

More speed but yet, kak service. Clients that have 2 4k TV don't even pull a 50MB line flat...

Kyoto

GPON can handle the upload without an issue, one of the standards is 1.2Gbps/1.2Gbps for client homes, think it can go up to 2.4Gbps symmetric but don't quote me on the latter.
Gpon is 2.5 dl and 1. 25 ul, EPON is 1.25 ul and dl, new 10G pon standards are symmetrical

HartsockZA

speedtest bro... hahaha

There are definitely some that can use those speeds everyday
Honestly if your network is built in such a manner your end client doesn't need to run speed test every day. But yea get your point it's more of a e-pen thing in the end, sure maybe a business but who the heck torrents nowadays?

Cactus

So I don't know anything about building fibre networks and the technologies, but would OpenServe ever be able to offer symmetrical speeds on their current network architecture? (Asking for private tracker reasons :ROFL: )

Also for the first time in my life I can download 62MB/s on Steam :love:

netstrider

Expert Member
Good news.

I think prices will come down a little bit more in time and then stabilize. SA is surprisingly competitive w.r.t fibre prices (at least compared to the US).

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Depends on the standard / trunk configuration / splits
Gpon is 2.5 dl and 1. 25 ul, EPON is 1.25 ul and dl, new 10G pon standards are symmetrical
Sure, but a split doesn't mean the full bandwidth isn't available for every customer, just that if they decide to all use it at the same time they'll be limited to 2.5/1.25Gbps.

I think this has more to do with what the chances are that multiple clients are uploading and still being able to guarantee maximum upload.

Kyoto

Sure, but a split doesn't mean the full bandwidth isn't available for every customer, just that if they decide to all use it at the same time they'll be limited to 2.5/1.25Gbps.

I think this has more to do with what the chances are that multiple clients are uploading and still being able to guarantee maximum upload.
By design GPON is limited to a max line rate 1G per subscriber down and up, or any combination lower than that

AzurePortalCoZa

Good news for everybody. Seeing that MS Azure is dropping their prices by 15.8% on 1st Sept.
Now we can all connect at a near LAN speed.

Nomad2

There will only be a price war when customers have a choice of supplier. Most people only have a single Fibre supplier and are stuck with it. A few lucky ones have the options.

Nomad2

Do all ISPs throttle the speed through the router at 200Mbps? If so, the faster speeds don't matter for streaming TV etc.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Nice, but totally overkill for most users.

PS, if anyone manages to get 500Mbps from a Usenet server let us know. Tried a few without success.
Maximum was about 300Mbps.

Last edited:

AzurePortalCoZa

There will only be a price war when customers have a choice of supplier. Most people only have a single Fibre supplier and are stuck with it. A few lucky ones have the options.
I only have Vumatel, but Openserve are taking out their copper, replacing it with fibre, and I should have access by end Sept :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: