Firefox OS phones for SA: operators respond

McT

The Humble Scot!
But then again, who wants one? These are all low spec devices.
Why should smartphones always be about the top end user? Isn't the idea to put it into the hands of the masses too?

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Since we do we need mobile operators to give us device? Simply import the ones you want.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
That's a bit short sighted considering the majority of our population cannot afford expensive smart phones. I think SA is a great market for lower cost, low powered devices.

KalMaverick

Expert Member
The underlying reality is that Samsung has quietly taken over the Android market at every smartphone price level. In the last two years, it has sold close to 1,4-million Android devices in South Africa, almost unobtrusively moving past the 10 percent mark in smartphone market share. It claims around 95% of the local Android market, with the Sony Xperia range making up the rest.

The biggest contributor to these sales is one of the cheapest Android phones on the market, the Galaxy Pocket, which sells for less than R900. Between the low and high end, the new Galaxy mini, selling at around R3000, neatly slots into the space previously dominated by the BlackBerry Curve.
Link

Some people keep forgetting not everyone has the means to buy a iPhone or S4 and I'm pretty sure it's a large amount of people. So low end phones like these and the Pocket can end up selling quite well as well as introduce people to the brand without forking out R8k.

Last edited:

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
That's a bit short sighted considering the majority of our population cannot afford expensive smart phones. I think SA is a great market for lower cost, low powered devices.
+1

Link

Some people keep forgetting not everyone has the means to buy a iPhone or S4 and I'm pretty sure it's a large amount of people. So low end phones like these and the Pocket can end up selling quite well as well as introduce people to the brand without forking out R8k.
+1

That's the thing - cheap phones like this could provide inexpensive means of accessing educational media for millions, and more importantly, unfiltered news directly from the Internet.