First car - any suggestions?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Insurance on 300k cars is going to probably cost you about R3000pm maybe more, not having had insurance before yourself it will probably be more.

Varktjop

Expert Member
Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai or Kia. Also, don't buy a second-hand car with a DSG gearbox.

nazmo

Expert Member
Clio RS 18 (bit used, will still have 4 yrs warranty) or Polo gti, get a 5 yr plan on it.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Insurance on 300k cars is going to probably cost you about R3000pm maybe more, not having had insurance before yourself it will probably be more.
Lies. A 2018 corolla 1.6 prestige is retailing for R270k odd, and insurance with pmd is a little of R1100/month.

And that's one of the most stolen cars in SA.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Just because you can spend R300k on a car doesn't mean you should.
Just because you can drive your parents car into your thirties doesn't mean you should either. A new car will be better that a used anything the OP shortlisted.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Lies. A 2018 corolla 1.6 prestige is retailing for R270k odd, and insurance with pmd is a little of R1100/month.

And that's one of the most stolen cars in SA.
That's if you've got a risk profile, haven't claimed and probably have an excess of R9k a month.

nazmo

Expert Member
Why can't you drive your parents car into your thirties? Debt is trap, and if they dont need the car, go ahead.
Iv had car debt for past 15 years, 4 different cars, all bought newish. with Prime minus 2. They depreciating assets so I dont care about owning them long. Always had them under motorplan, thoroughly love driving, and its a small portion of income. Buying smart using finance is NOT a bad thing. just know what you doing.

At any point i can sell. trade a car in without loss due to the size of deposits, and condition I trade them in for, so its not a risk either.

Lupus

Honorary Master
yep, i have a "performance car" insured at 400k, paying R900pm with excess of R3000
You've got a track record, you've probably had insurance for 15 years or so. I know someone who had no insurance until recently when he bought a 400k car, ended up being R2500pm and 9k excess. Even with my background my 100k car costs me R400pm with no excess as I've had insurance since 2003 and it's trackable.

rietrot

Honorary Master
Iv had car debt for past 15 years, 4 different cars, all bought newish. with Prime minus 2. They depreciating assets so I dont care about owning them long. Always had them under motorplan, thoroughly love driving, and its a small portion of income. Buying smart using finance is NOT a bad thing. just know what you doing.

At any point i can sell. trade a car in without loss due to the size of deposits, and condition I trade them in for, so its not a risk either.
If you just drove one shîtty car you could have retired already and be sitting on the beach right now.

There is this whole financial freedom movement that say save every penny, keep your lifestyle expenses low, don't drive a new car....

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
You've got a track record, you've probably had insurance for 15 years or so. I know someone who had no insurance until recently when he bought a 400k car, ended up being R2500pm and 9k excess. Even with my background my 100k car costs me R400pm with no excess as I've had insurance since 2003 and it's trackable.
Indeed if your under 25 they will nail you!

Some guys with basic polo's paying 2k a month!

Lupus

Honorary Master
If you just drove one shîtty car you could have retired already and be sitting on the beach right now.

There is this whole financial freedom movement that say save every penny, keep your lifestyle expenses low, don't drive a new car....
Unfortunately not in South Africa, I've got two paid off cars, those expenses have just gone into trying to keep everything else afloat :-(.

CUDlybunny

Expert Member
Indeed if your under 25 they will nail you!

Some guys with basic polo's paying 2k a month!
I called around to a few guys like outsurance, miway etc and got high quotes ranging from 1.5k-2.5k. This for a 2014 Polo bluemotion tdi

I then asked my moms broker to look around for me. She got me insured with Santam for R950pm and it includes insurance for my valuables in my apartment.