Fixed Line Look Alike extensions at home

cecilh

Hi, up until yesterday I had a copper based service. TELKOM delivered a FLLA telephone (Atel AGP-KW125) which I have activated.
Copper service no longer works (discontinued by TELKOM??) and neither do any of the 3 extensons in the house!
With this new wireless set-up how do I now get extensions? Have to buy 3 new phones and get duplicate SIM cards????
TELKOM shop people just shrug their shoulders!

BasBas

hi, I’m not familiar with the FLLA device from Telkom, if it has a RJ11 output wouldn’t it be possible to “Hotwire” it into your current phone system in your house

RedhotNeo

Expert Member
you get a sim card and a device.. just like your cell phone and cell number.. if u need the same number to broadcast to you 2 or more devices then u need to buy the wireless setup that supports that

SinghDude

Chief Sports Analyst
Stuck in same boat with telkom :rolleyes:

Is there any value added data services on top of the FLLA service that is competatively priced ?

It sure ain't a replacement service in terms of pricing and value.

A big FU to Telkom. :thumbsdown:

mrmrrza

We also got handed a FLLA device this week and summarily the copper got cut-off. From having about three or phones in the house we now have one and additional handsets are quite pricey.

I don't see value at the costs they charge for the service.

It is time to port the number to switchtel and buy some IP phones.

mister

Executive Member
It is time to port the number to switchtel and buy some IP phones.

I bought an ATA and connected it to my internal telkom wiring so that all my normal telkom extensions work. Cheaper than re-cabling and changing over to IP phones.

mrmrrza

Can you post the model of the ATA for me? I hadn't thought of that :)

I bought an ATA and connected it to my internal telkom wiring so that all my normal telkom extensions work. Cheaper than re-cabling and changing over to IP phones.

mister

Executive Member
Can you post the model of the ATA for me? I hadn't thought of that :)

I use the yeastar TA200, but it's not available anymore. One of these will work:

https://scoop.co.za/fanvil-single-port-fxs-gateway-ata-g100s.html

LAN cable goes into one plug, then a telephone cable into the other plug, and then the other end of the telephone cable goes into the wall jack (with a splitter so I have a phone there as well).

I disconnected the telkom wires at the pole.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Hi, up until yesterday I had a copper based service. TELKOM delivered a FLLA telephone (Atel AGP-KW125) which I have activated.
Copper service no longer works (discontinued by TELKOM??) and neither do any of the 3 extensons in the house!
With this new wireless set-up how do I now get extensions? Have to buy 3 new phones and get duplicate SIM cards????
TELKOM shop people just shrug their shoulders!
They shrug their shoulders simply because no one has trained them as to what to tell/offer a customer with an existing multiple extension analogue systems in their homes/business.
Besides the fact, of course, that most of these "extension" setups were entirely illegal in terms of Telkom's T&Cs of course. But then let us not go there.
Even us ex Telkom employees installed such setups without declaring them .... But most of us did it properly. I will have no problem in converting my setup to being able to be used with an FLLA or any FWA mobile service for that matter.

And no I am not about to tell anyone how I did it, so don't even ask.

PS: The setup has been in place for more than 20 years with old technology, so you would not want to do it anyway.

Last edited:

Lookout

You guys are too clever for me. I haven't unwrapped my FLLA as I don't want a fixed position phone. Nothing I've read here enables me to decide how to get back to a system of cordless phones without having to use my cell phone. Are there people out there who can fix this? Perhaps ProAsm can come in the night and fix it for me?

bobcpt

Do you think this would be a solution to getting my analog phones connected again? Throw-away the D-Link DWR-720 /PW Phone & replace with this: http://www.phonetalk.co.za/product/at1000gsm-fixedline-wireless-terminal/

You can put the simcard that you received with your Dlink phone in a router with a telephone port, e.g. a Huawei B315 or B525. These routers are available second hand for around R800+ . Set the router to always connect on the 3G network, disable mobile data and then connect a cordless phone to the telephone port on the back. Some cordless phones will allow you to register multiple handsets with a single base station.

If you run a network cable from your main internet router to the 'phone router', it can probably serve as a second access point to improve wifi reception in your house.

Aardvark

Sitting with the same problem.
Looking to connect a 4 station dect phone to the flla system.

bobcpt

If all your dect phones are of the same brand, check in the manual whether you can register multiple handsets against one of the base stations.

Some dect phones support a standard called GAP which in theory allows you to register any GAP compliant handset against any GAP compliant base station. The standard defines the minimum level of compatibility to make and receive calls.

Using one of the options above will allow you to connect a single dect base station to the router as outlined in post #15.

thehuman

Expert Member
Those who got flla connected with their existing phones / portables? Do you have a problem with low volume on handsets ?

jcheek

Expert Member
You can put the simcard that you received with your Dlink phone in a router with a telephone port, e.g. a Huawei B315 or B525. These routers are available second hand for around R800+ . Set the router to always connect on the 3G network, disable mobile data and then connect a cordless phone to the telephone port on the back. Some cordless phones will allow you to register multiple handsets with a single base station.

Here's a post that describes basically how bobcpt's outlined solution works, using a ZTE MF286 router (very similar to the B315) or the D-Link DWR-956M/TK. Telkom now supplies the DWR-956M/TK as a solution for people who need to connect analogue phone(s), or multiple DECT cordless phones via a base station.
But beware the 2-year contract on the D-Link DWR-956M/TK router if supplied by Telkom.