Flat-rated Android and iPhone Internet data packages for South Africa?

MrG

Executive Member
Thats brilliant!

I hope 8ta and Cell C follow suit.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Interesting... but unless they offer similar data compression services, I think it's gonna be a costly excercise.

Pavan

Expert Member
I think all the operators will create this sort of ecosystem by Q2/Q3 2012. Its a no-brainer. As long as they all have DPI capabilities, I see no reason why they wouldn't offer somthing like this (with a Fair-Usage Policy ofc).

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Great news, I hope MTN go through with this! Provided that pricing is similar to BIS, BB's advantage will be killed if this happens. I yearn for that day :D

VernD

Executive Member
Interesting... but unless they offer similar data compression services, I think it's gonna be a costly excercise.

^ What he said.

And what would the terms and conditions of the flat-rated data be? To use as you please, or for browsing only? Android and iOS devices use data in a different way than BlackBerry so this has to be taken into consideration when structuring flat-rated data packages.

Shayd

Expert Member
I am just waiting for the nutjobs on this forum to start whining when something like "100MB then throttled to 256k for R89" is launched.

Actually I am looking forward to something like this. Unlimited Whatsapp HEYEEEEL yeah.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Interesting. Would be interesting to find out more on how this works etc. I would imagine it would work with a different APN which then routes your traffice through a server that will compress data and implement fair usage policies and throttling (if this is the case). To get access to the APN it will need to be paid for as a VAS before it gets provisioned on your number also I guess.

Malasius

Very interesting and long overdue. As regards to it killing Blackberry, I don't think it will as BBM is just so big in S.A right now...

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
This is good news... because its been a long time coming.

Also why don't the cellular providers do something similar for local data ? Everyone knows that its international data that costs.

I still rate BIS but I feel bad that other phones are getting raped.

Shayd

Expert Member
Very interesting and long overdue. As regards to it killing Blackberry, I don't think it will as BBM is just so big in S.A right now...

Most bbm users also use whatsapp.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using MyBroadband Android App

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Seeing that since 22 August MTN struggles to provide me with an accurate way to monitor data usage on the SGT10.1 I got from them a flat-rate solution would solve their and my problem.

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
It's obviously going to be some R79 package where you get 150mb full speed and throttled to 128kbps afterwards like their "uncapped" packages. Rather just go get 3GB from 8ta for R150 or 500mb from CellC for R50.

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
While this sounds good on paper, how about access speeds? BIS is not great on MTN according to a friend and I'd hate to have slow(er) net on my Android. I'd prefer to see better data rates tbh.

Unlimited Whatsapp HEYEEEEL yeah.

How much Whatsapp do you use?? :wtf: