Flight Simulator 2020

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
I've come across a peculiar issue when playing on Xbox Series X using a standard Xbox Series controller.

In mid-flight, with auto pilot engaged, I go into cockpit view and press LS to activate cursor mode so that I can use LS to look around the cockpit and manipulate the instruments and controls. When I move the LS while in cursor mode it's as if I'm still in "control" mode and as soon as I touch the LS, the aircraft responds accordingly (dive, climb, bank, etc.).

If I exit cursor mode by pressing LS I can control the aircraft as necessary with the LS; I enter back into cursor mode, move the LS and the aircraft again responds accordingly.

This only started recently if I recall correctly, I mainly play on PC with a mouse/keyboard/HOTAS setup, but enjoy flying casually on Xbox now and again.

I haven't started any specific troubleshooting yet, but will try swapping the Xbox controller for a different controller, resetting my Xbox controller profile back to "Default"in MSFS, and deleting the MSFS 2020 data from my Xbox profile. Not sure what else to try and Google searches don't provide much help.

Hoping someone else here may have seem this and figured out how to fix the problem.

Pretty sure I had the same experience today, but I was too tired to really get stuck into a proper session.

Will try and replicate the issue tomorrow and will update if it's an issue as well.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft Flight Sim's new update makes Matterhorn even more daunting - PC Gamer​

The hills are alive with the sound of terrain caching.

The new Microsoft Flight Simulator update is available, and the latest regions to receive a major cosmetic touch-up are Germany, Austria, and the Swiss Alps.

Check out the trailer above for a look at more Germanic castles, cathedrals, and football stadiums than you can shake a flight stick at.

The free update improves height maps and aerial imagery for several cities throughout Germany, including Frankfurt and Wupertal, Basel in Switzerland, and Graz and Vienna in Austria.

Plus there's numerous visual updates for landmarks like the Berlin Television Tower, the lakeside Mortizburg Castle, the Cologne Cathedral, and a whole lot more.

Probably the "biggest" landmark to get an update is the Matterhorn, the massive Swiss mountain that's claimed the lives of more than 500 climbers.

The update has also added hand-crafted versions of more than 100 airports throughout the region, including Stuttgart, Lubeck, Klagenfurt, and St. Gallen.

If you want to test your mettle landing on minor or major hubs, new landing challenges have been added alongside new discovery tours and bush trips.

Microsoft Flight Simulator's new "offscreen terrain pre caching" will be of interest to players hoping to maximize their framerate. You can set it to low, medium, high, or ultra, and it will cache all the terrain you're not currently looking at so when you turn to glance out your cockpit the stutter and pop-in won't be as bad as you gawk at your 40th Germanic castle.

Maximum photogrammetry draw distance has also been increased, which means you'll be able to see further into dense cities like Frankfurt from further away.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My fibre line is going to take a real pounding when my PC arrives... nearly a year's worth of updates to catch up on!

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Even on ultra, my FS doesn't look as good as the video. It's grainy. Do I need 4K?

mr_norris

Expert Member
Even on ultra, my FS doesn't look as good as the video. It's grainy. Do I need 4K?
Do you perhaps have a resolution scaler set?

If you are running on PC, getting it to run at 4k will need a monster card. But it's doable. More so if you target 30 FPS.

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Soon...
View attachment 1143558

Nice moire there :p

I was working out on my exercise bike and I play some virtual bike rides from YouTube on my Xbox. Suddenly the video was freezing and it downscaled from HD to 480p or something.

Clicked the X button to see that MSFS was busy updating. I haven't played today, but saw some articles later in the day about the new update and can only assume that's what was happening.

Will check back on it again when I have time.

bokka1

Expert Member
Let me update this on my Series X.

This is my go-to game to show people the power of the Xbox and my 65" LG OLED, the game looks stunning.

BrendanSmurf

Well, on my Xbox SX, since the latest update, a 3rd of Centurion, Midrand and Jhb buildings are now 2D images on the ground, and most of the highways are dirt roads.

They were fine before the update.
I deinstalled and reinstalled everything (what a bugger) and no change.

Same thing in Dublin.
Pretty frustrated.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well, on my Xbox SX, since the latest update, a 3rd of Centurion, Midrand and Jhb buildings are now 2D images on the ground, and most of the highways are dirt roads.

They were fine before the update.
I deinstalled and reinstalled everything (what a bugger) and no change.

Same thing in Dublin.
Pretty frustrated.
Yeah sorry I didn't like how it looked before took off from OR Tambo and I couldn't figure out where the hell to go terrain looked terrible. Highways floated, so buildings were 2D some were terrible 3d, the cars kind of floated on the roads and every road that wasn't a highway looked like dirt.
I mean honestly the game actually felt like a step back from FSX, even the plane graphics weren't that special and I'm on the X.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member

Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition lands on November 18 with DX12 support - Techspot​

A free update for existing Microsoft Flight Simulator players

Xbox has announced a new edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator due out next month that adds a wealth of content and features including early access to DirectX 12.

Best of all, existing players won't have to pay a single penny to upgrade to the Game of the Year edition.

Jorg Neumann, head of Microsoft Flight Simulator, revealed in a recent blog post that the Game of the Year Edition will include five new aircraft – the Boeing F/A-18 Super Hornet, the VoloCity, the Pilatus PC-6 Porter, the CubCrafters NX Cub and the Aviat Pitts Special S1S – as well as eight new airports across Central Europe and the US:

Germany
Leipzig/Halle Airport (EDDP)
Allgäu Airport Memmingen (EDJA)
Kassel Airport (EDVK)

Switzerland
Lugano Airport (LSZA)
Zurich Airport (LSZH)
Luzern-Beromunster Airport (LSZO)

United States
Patrick Space Force Base (KCOF)
Marine Corps Air Station Miramar (KNKX)

The release will also add information about 545 previously missing airports in the US in addition to featuring six new missions, 14 new tutorials, an updated weather system, a dev mode replay system and new photogrammetry cities.

The biggest addition here is support for DirectX 12, which Neumann referenced as “early access to DX12.” Unfortunately, he didn’t elaborate, so we’ll have to wait to see what exactly it entails.

Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition launches on November 18 and will replace the standard edition. Pricing hasn't yet been shared, but the original edition currently commands $59.99, so that's a safe bet.

Best yet, it’ll be available as a free update for existing players on Xbox and PC.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Yeah sorry I didn't like how it looked before took off from OR Tambo and I couldn't figure out where the hell to go terrain looked terrible. Highways floated, so buildings were 2D some were terrible 3d, the cars kind of floated on the roads and every road that wasn't a highway looked like dirt.
I mean honestly the game actually felt like a step back from FSX, even the plane graphics weren't that special and I'm on the X.
Have you noticed that all the houses in SA have old tyres on the roof like some third world island **** hole. How do we get them to change that?