FNB customers beware new scam

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
FNB customers beware new scam

FNB is warning its customers about a scam where fraudsters pretending to be from FNB phone banking clients about a new transaction.

These fraudsters are very friendly and helpful and introduce themselves using names which are familiar to FNB clients.

dotcat

They did this a family member a while back - provided the first 4 digits of the credit card number. "Suspicious transaction at istore" even sent a reference sms. Told them to hang up and immediately call FNB fraud division.

Nestle

They did this a family member a while back - provided the first 4 digits of the credit card number. "Suspicious transaction at istore" even sent a reference sms. Told them to hang up and immediately call FNB fraud division.
Scary stuff. Either these criminals have access to a flow of confidential information from within the bank or they must be in possession of an FNB client database which has this information listed.

diapason

Expert Member
I think the first 4 digits identify the bank so all FNB credit cards will have the same.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Asking for the first four numbers wouldn't raise a red flag, asking for the whole number or last few and the CSV definitely would.

*edit*

Some words of advice, I've fielded numerous calls from my banks fraud division as its been attempted a few times on my account. The bank will identify themselves and ask the standard security questions, no account numbers pins or password. They should then stipulate the transaction, where it was done and for what amount. There is no need to action a reversal on your side or press any button, click a link, etc. All you have to do is state that you did not execute the transaction and they will put a hold on the card immediately.

Always a good practice to follow up with a call to the fraud division CONFIRMING the previous call was them.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Asking for the first four numbers wouldn't raise a red flag, asking for the whole number or last few and the CSV definitely would.
They are not asking it, they are providing it, in an attempt to make themselves seem legit.

Larry_Fisherman

But I think they normally ask you to authenticate by entering the numbers on the phone and not saying it. Last 6 digits if I'm not mistaken.

Tinuva

The Magician
On FNB, they need the complete card number and pin to up the temporary or permanent limits. Then when doing the payment it requires you to say yes on the app. Should never give your card number+pin over the phone even if they provide whatever 4 digits for you.

The only time I will say yes on the app is when my private banker requests it, and usually its because I emailed him to request opening an account etc so I know about it before he even calls. For some unknown transaction...never.

Also the popup on the app that you must say yes to, tells you clearly what it is for, so no idea how you can also fall for that, but I guess some people do.

RandomGeek

Yeah - mastercard is one visa another - so its info that is not at all unique
The first 4 digits of a card is normally fixed - and is linked to your bank

E.g. FNB would be 4901 for their credit card, always. So if someone knows who you bank with they know the first 4 digits too

Last edited:

NeonNinja

Neon Resident

*edit*

Some words of advice, I've fielded numerous calls from my banks fraud division as its been attempted a few times on my account. The bank will identify themselves and ask the standard security questions, no account numbers pins or password. They should then stipulate the transaction, where it was done and for what amount. There is no need to action a reversal on your side or press any button, click a link, etc. All you have to do is state that you did not execute the transaction and they will put a hold on the card immediately.

Always a good practice to follow up with a call to the fraud division CONFIRMING the previous call was them.
These days they ask for the last 6 digits of your card, your pin plus ID number (FNB) and you dial them in on your keypad.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
These days they ask for the last 6 digits of your card, your pin plus ID number (FNB) and you dial them in on your keypad.
Ah, don't bank with FNB but that sounds ridiculous. When I had the old discovery card years ago, it was the same as I described but that was pre-app days.

access

Executive Member
yeah i still dont trust when they call. how do you now someone isnt phishing for those dtmf tones when you punch the pin in... id numbers and card numbers can be found on various things.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
yeah i still dont trust when they call. how do you now someone isnt phishing for those dtmf tones when you punch the pin in... id numbers and card numbers can be found on various things.
This is when you call their 087 numbers. You speak to Veronica and not a person, after successful verification then you speak to an agent.

genetic

Honorary Master
The first 4 digits of a card is normally fixed - and is linked to your bank

E.g. FNB would be 4901, always. So if someone knows who you bank with they know the first 4 digits too

None of my FNB cards start with 4901.

zulucat

Why would any one with half functioning brain cells fall for this?