FNB Share Investing

Dolby

Honorary Master
funny ... exactly the same post as I was about to do ;)

Gusta1

@Maelly I'm Gusta from FNB Share Investing and wish to confirm that trading through Share Builder has never been easier - we have already selected an excellent basket for you to choose from. Go ahead and try it - with the JSE down now is a good time to buy

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I wonder if ABSA has something similar. Just started closing my FNB accounts. :(

gregmcc

Honorary Master
You beat me to it as well - was also going to post a thread like this.

Anyone used it yet? How does one go about getting started in trading shares - I don't want to start playing around w/o really knowing what I'm doing and loose my money :)

I saw a program on the net a while back where you can trade with virtual money - this way you can learn without realy losing anything

xrapidx

Honorary Master

Anyone used it yet? How does one go about getting started in trading shares - I don't want to start playing around w/o really knowing what I'm doing and loose my money :)

I saw a program on the net a while back where you can trade with virtual money - this way you can learn without realy losing anything
Try here: you get R100,000 play money, and its SA based.

I was R50,000 up, and then everything went south about a month ago.

VernD

Executive Member
Funny, I was looking at that very thing today. I just settled 2 accounts last month - was paying them off at 1K a month - now I have 2K to play with. Plus, in May of next year, my car will be settled, so I'll have another 2K to play with.

With all this disposable income, I've converted from a spender to an investor :D

DigitalSoldier

Honorary Master

Try

http://www.investopedia.com/university/

Dolby

Honorary Master
Beat you to it. So, are you using it?
I've got an account with Standard Bank online share trading. However - my stepfather controls it as he knows a bit more than me ;)

I put my money in, has the passwords and he logs and and buys. I've 'made' about 6% the 8 weeks I've used it. Plus the one share gives dividends 4x per year - and I shoud be expecting something from that.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
FNB Online Banking - Share Trading

FAQ

1. Products and Services

What shares can be traded on the Share Builder product option?
You can choose from a limited basket of JSE shares and exchange traded funds. Visit our Product Finder and choose Share Builder to learn more about these shares.

What happens if I want to buy shares that are not included in this list?
A Share Investor product option may be better suited to your needs. If you are already a Share Builder customer you can upgrade to a Share Investor account by contacting us on 0860 SHARES (0860 742 737) during office hours or email us at shareinvesting@fnb.co.za.

What shares can be traded on the Share Investor product option?
The full range of JSE listed equity instruments are available for trade.

Can I bring shares that I own and load them onto my account?
Yes you may, depending on which shares these are and which account option you hold. For instance, if you are interested in a Share Builder account but would like to include shares that are not part of the Share Builder basket, we would recommend that you either sell those shares first or rather open a Share Investor account which allows you to add any JSE shares to your account.

How do I access education or information on the share market?
For more information, visit our Share Investing Education Centre on the FNB website. You’ll find these educational articles under Share Investing in the Personal Banking section.

What are the online share investing charges?
Share Builder account holders are charged an account fee of R17 per month and an all inclusive brokerage or trading fee of 2% (excl. VAT) per trade, calculated on the capital investment amount with a minimum of R50 per trade (excl. VAT).

Share Investor customers are charged an account fee of R45 per month with the following charges per trade:

Brokerage of 0.6% (excl. VAT) or a minimum of R80 (excl. VAT)
Investor protection levy (IPL) of 0.0002% (excl. VAT) of capital investment
STRATE fee of 0.005459% with a minimum of R10.92 and a maximum of R54.59 (all excl. VAT)
Securities Transfer Tax (STT) of 0.25% on the capital investment. This charge applies only to BUY transactions.

What other services do you offer?
We are able to assist with all matters relating to the administration of shares. Contact us if you have any queries and we will be glad to assist.

2. Account Opening

How do I open a share investing account and how long does it take?
We offer real time account opening. Once logged in to online banking just follow the apply online prompts. Within a few minutes you could be investing on the JSE!

Can I have more than one share investing account?
No, you may only have 1 account.

Can I open accounts in the name of a trust, a partnership, a company or a close corporation?
Unfortunately not. Currently we only offer accounts to individuals.

Are Non residents able to open accounts?
Unfortunately not. Currently we only offer accounts to South African residents.

Are under 18's able to open an account?
Unfortunately not, you must be 18 years or older to open an account.

How do I add to and/or withdraw funds from my account?
Funds can be deposited or withdrawn according to standard transfer/payment functionality. If you hold an FNB transactional account and also open a share investing account - movement of funds across accounts is especially quick and simple.

How do I know that my funds and investments will be safe once I make a deposit?
Unlike other share trading platforms, FNB Share Investing is located within online banking. This means that your account will be located within the most secure online environment that FNB is currently able to offer.

What are the minimum account opening and cash balance amounts required?
R100 on a Share Builder account and R200 on a Share Investor account.

Do I earn interest on cash balances in my trading account?
Yes, at a rate linked to call account rates.

Who do I contact if I have account opening queries?
Contact us on 0860 SHARES (0860 742 737) during office hours, or email us at shareinvesting@fnb.co.za.

3. Buying & Selling Instructions

How do I place an order to buy or sell?
You have 2 channels to choose from: either trade online, or contact our call centre on 0860 SHARES (0860 742 737) during office hours.

How do I edit my orders?
Orders can only be edited (via the channels listed above) BEFORE they are placed on the market. Once they are on the market they cannot be edited. Also note that orders can only be cancelled if they have not been executed.

When is my order executed on the JSE?
An order is executed once it is matched to a sell order. Matching of orders on the JSE starts at 09h00 and ends at 17h00.

How is my order executed?
Market (or best) orders are executed at the best price possible. For a sell order, the shares are sold to the highest bidder. For a buy order, the shares are bought at the lowest price.

What is the difference between a market order vs. a limit order?
Limit orders are only executed when the specified limit is reached. For a sell order, this is when a price is obtained which is higher than the limit sell price. For a buy order, this is when a price is obtained which is lower than the limit buy price. In contrast, market orders are executed at the going market price.

How are trades confirmed?
A trade confirmation is sent via SMS or email to customers on execution of the order. No broker notes are sent.

What are the costs of trading?
Share Builder account holders are charged an account fee of R17 per month and an all inclusive brokerage or trading fee of 2% (excl. VAT) per trade, calculated on the capital investment amount with a minimum of R50 per trade (excl. VAT).

Share Investor customers are charged an account fee of R45 per month with the following charges per trade:

Brokerage of 0.6% (excl. VAT) or a minimum of R80 (excl. VAT)
Investor protection levy (IPL) of 0.0002% (excl. VAT) of capital investment
STRATE fee of 0.005459% with a minimum of R10.92 and a maximum of R54.59 (all excl. VAT)
Securities Transfer Tax (STT) of 0.25% on the capital investment. This charge applies only to BUY transactions.

What are the trading hours?

A Share Builder customer can place orders at any time, but these are only executed between 09h00 and 17h00. We accept orders for that day only until 15h00. A Share Investor customer can place orders at any time and these will be executed between 09h00 and 17h00. We accept orders for that day only until 16h45.

Can I buy and sell shares through my branch?
No, the FNB branches are not able to offer this service.

Can I buy and sell shares telephonically?
Yes you may. Contact our client services helpdesk on 0860 SHARES (0860 742 737) during office hours.

For how long will my order remain in the market?
Orders are only valid for 1 trading day. If these are not matched in the market for the day, they expire and you will have to place the order again the following day.

What happens if I place an order after cut–off times/on the weekend/after hours?
The order is stored on our system and placed on the market on the next available trading day at 09h45 for Share Investor accounts and 15h00 for Share Builder accounts.

What happens if I change my mind after placing the order?
If you are a Share Builder customer you can cancel your order at any time up to 15h00 when orders are placed on the market. After this time, no cancellation is possible. If you are a Share Investor customer you can request cancellation of the order at any time. However, cancellation is only possible if the order has not yet been executed on the market.

What is the difference between ‘Buy Now’ and ‘ Buy End of Day’ ?
Buy Now orders are placed on the market as soon as possible. Buy End of Day orders are placed at 15h00 on the day.

For Share Investor customers, why is ‘Buy End of Day’ greyed out for some shares?
Buy End of Day is only offered on those shares that are available on the Share Builder offering.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
continued ...

4. Account Maintenance

Where will my dividends be paid?
Your dividends will be paid into your share account.

How are corporate actions dealt with?
If you hold a Share Builder account, then corporate actions are handled on your behalf by FNB after we have obtained an expert opinion on the action.

If you hold a Share Investor account, you would have been asked how you would want to handle the corporate actions relating to your share holding, when you opened your account.

How do I know how my portfolio is performing?
A percentage gain or loss and the value of the gain or loss is shown on your portfolio screen. This compares the price at which you bought the share to the current price for the share on the market.

Can I view my portfolio via an FNB ATM (Automatic Teller Machine)?
No, this functionality is unfortunately not available.

Are there any tax issues that I need to consider before buying or selling shares?
Shares attract two kinds of returns, capital growth (appreciation) and dividends. Based on current South African tax laws, dividends are not taxed (i.e. tax-free) and capital growth is subject to capital gains tax. If you hold a share as a long-term investment (the time period of holding the share is taken into account), any capital growth (appreciation) upon disposal will be subject to capital gains tax.

On the other hand, if you were to buy and sell shares many times at short intervals, you may be considered as holding shares as trading stock and any capital gain will be subject to income tax.

Tax is a complex area and it is advisable to consult your financial advisor for details of the tax implications when you invest in shares. For a comprehensive explanation on how shares are taxed, visit our Share Investing Education Centre on the FNB website. You’ll find these educational articles under Share Investing in the Personal Banking section.

What documentation (statements, tax reports etc.) will I receive?
You will receive monthly statements detailing your portfolio and a monthly transactional history. In March of every year you will receive an IT3(b) statement for the tax year ending 28 February. This will assist you to complete your annual tax return.

How do I know that my account details and investment information are kept confidential and that no one else can buy or sell shares on my account?
FNB has strict security measures in place to ensure the security and confidentiality of customer accounts. Authentication measures are in place (e.g. One Time Pin) to ensure that only you, the account holder, can place orders on the account.

What if I have questions, trade disputes, or complaints?
Contact us on 0860 SHARES (0860 742 737) during office hours or email us at shareinvesting@fnb.co.za.

What documentation does FNB issue to SARS?
We are obliged to inform SARS of all interest and dividends earned by account holders.

Who do I contact if I have trading/account maintenance queries?
Please contact our call centre on 0860 SHARES (0860 742 737) during office hours or email us at shareinvesting@fnb.co.za.
Share trading is a new feature on FNB internet banking [introduced in the last month]. Anyone trying it out? How's it going so far?

iDOL

Expert Member
I am enjoying it, love me sms's once my instructions have been actioned,

iDOL

Expert Member
Investor, but I am a bit irked in that some places waive the monthly account fee if you exceed a certain number of trades per month and they don't.

The fees compare favourably with what others offer.

The requests are actioned quite quickly, placed an order before 9.00 this morning , it was actioned by 9.45 which was cool.

I have 2 others pending today, I am also using the option to limit the amount that I am willing to pay per share and the number of shares, testing that option.

iDOL

Expert Member
it is just altogether convenient for me, because I make use of the FNB Online website quite frequently.

AirWolf

Honorary Master

Investor, but I am a bit irked in that some places waive the monthly account fee if you exceed a certain number of trades per month and they don't.

The fees compare favourably with what others offer.

The requests are actioned quite quickly, placed an order before 9.00 this morning , it was actioned by 9.45 which was cool.

I have 2 others pending today, I am also using the option to limit the amount that I am willing to pay per share and the number of shares, testing that option.
I just thought that the fees are a bit steep if you just wanted to test out the service with small amounts.