FNB Share Investing

Pavan

Expert Member
So I opened a Share Investor account online and immediately transferred some funds through. I'm browsing my online banking, going through the account and other tabs like 'Buy', but I can't find anywhere to buy shares :/ Any reason why? I've thoroughly checked through my online banking user interface and can't find anything... The account is there with all the correct details, just no option to buy shares anywhere... help/?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
So I opened a Share Investor account online and immediately transferred some funds through. I'm browsing my online banking, going through the account and other tabs like 'Buy', but I can't find anywhere to buy shares :/ Any reason why? I've thoroughly checked through my online banking user interface and can't find anything... The account is there with all the correct details, just no option to buy shares anywhere... help/?
Your profile should have a "Shares + Gold" tab at the top.

If not, check with support. Might need browser refresh.

Joowizard

Hi guys,

Anyone seen good performance on their Share Saver account?

I've been investing since December 2013 and I'm down 5%...

Maybe I'll have better results, just moving this into the FNB Growth Fund.

Any of you have experience with this?

Sherbang

Executive Member
Hi guys,

Anyone seen good performance on their Share Saver account?

Maybe I'll have better results, just moving this into the FNB Growth Fund.

Any of you have experience with this?
I think accounts like these are really for long term investing so you'll experience ups and downs, sometimes you have to sit tight and wait. I don't have any experience with this particular Share Saver account though.

Dr Tshepo

Any more updates. I know that i am late and most of you have been share investing for long. any updates

rza

Executive Member
How long does it take to receive cash on your account after selling shares?

surface

Executive Member
We are in same boat, we just happened to invest during/beginning downward trend . I plan to keep it for 3-5 years as that is what investment horizon is for this particular type of investment. If you notice, it has marginally improved in last month, compared to the 2 months earlier.

Maelly

Expert Member
Been on Share Investing for a while now, though I did disinvest at some point and closed the account altogether. I reopened it a couple of years ago then also sold all my shares except for First Rand. I then revived it late last year and also upgrades from Share Builder to Share Invest. My portfolio is now worth just under R20k and plan to stay invested for a very long time.

Kruben

Update Share Builder portfolio

Share Builder portfolio as at 13 March 2015

FIRSTRAND LTD Average cost 16.76 Market Price 54.48 up 225%
OLD MUTUAL PLC Average cost 11.60 Market Price 40.88 up 252%
SATRIX 40 Average cost 26.44 Market Price 45.85 up 73%

Average up 224 % %

patrick

Expert Member
You beat me to it as well - was also going to post a thread like this.

Anyone used it yet? How does one go about getting started in trading shares - I don't want to start playing around w/o really knowing what I'm doing and loose my money :)

I saw a program on the net a while back where you can trade with virtual money - this way you can learn without realy losing anything
You could try here and compete against other forum members: investorchallenge.co.za

Note that trading profits are taxed like income, so investing is often the better way to go. The site does tax your profits so you can comepare with the investors.

mintydroid

Expert Member
Is anybody having problems with price updates this morning. I can see the market prices changing on other sources but not FNB which is stuck on Fridays prices.

The Philosopher

Expert Member
Hi wesleigh,

to buy apple and shares on international markets you need to get an international brokerage account. There are several online brokerage accounts that you can use. However it is hard to find one that allows foreigners to open an account and also not have to open it in person.

The one I use is www.interactivebrokers.com They came highly recommended. Their platform is quite sophisticated, so it took me some time to figure out how to use it. But it takes a few hours and the basics are fairly straight forward.

Using their platform you can buy shares from most big exchanges in the world. I have bought shares on the NYSE, TSX, TSX-V and I have bought options on the AMEX exchange. All pretty cool. You can also buy CFD's. You can buy bonds too. You can also buy and sell currency very easily and cheaply. If you open an account and you fund it with Dollars, but then want to buy shares of Rolls Royce on the London stock exchange, you will first need to buy pounds using the platform, and then once you have pounds you can buy the shares on the LSE.

It seems daunting at first but it is very cool to be able to buy these international shares!